RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably not a common cause but might help somebody. Driver's door wouldn't open using either the inner or outer handle. Rest of the doors, central locking etc. all appeared OK. Peering down the window gap everything looked intact and moved as expected. Eventually traced to the inner handle cable being too tight and not releasing the mechanism enough to allow the unlock mechanism to re-engage. Same effect as slamming the door with the handle pulled out. The door will lock but until you release the handle fully you cannot open the door. Released the cable from the the inner handle and breathed a huge sigh of relief - really didn't fancy sawing through the striker plate or smashing the lock.

I think there are three contributory causes for my cable being too tight which is why I think it is not likely to be a common problem. 1) I think the cable I'm using originally came from a rear door and may be a whisker shorter. 2) I had just broken my second retaining clip and noticed that the angle of the end piece was greater than 90 degrees. This causes the cable to ride up out of the handle and strain the clip. I had just bent it to less than 90 degrees so that it pulls downwards into the handle. Dong this marginally shortened the cable. 3) the white conical end piece of the outer cable hadn't fully seated onto the handle surround. Number 3 might happen to others.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts