Range Rovers Forum banner

Can't get Tow Assist to work

7K views 21 replies 4 participants last post by  switters 
#1 ·
I'm trying to set up Tow Assist with my 2019 RRS. I have read the relevant pages in the manual. The Tow Assist page says "To enable the tow assist feature, touch the tow assist icon on the CAMERAS menu screen. See SURROUND CAMERA SYSTEM."

On the SURROUND CAMERA SYSTEM page, I'm told that if I touch the camera icon I will see this screen:

Icon #3 is Tow Assist and icon #4 is Advanced Tow Assist.

However, when I tap on the camera icon in the bottom menu bar, I don't see that screen. I see this:

This looks nothing like the screen in the manual and does not give me options for Tow Assist or Advanced Tow Assist.

What am I doing wrong?

See less See more
#3 ·
Huh, that's weird. I see them in the post. Anyone else?

You can click the link to see the image in the manual. It shows two icons at the bottom of the screen that I should be able to see/tap to configure Tow Assist or Advanced Tow Assist.

To see what I see on my screen in the RRS, try this link.

I see a large image of behind the vehicle, and then just the main menu below. It doesn't look at all like the screen in the manual with specific icons that you'd expect in a "Cameras" menu screen.

#4 ·
I went through the same struggle. A couple of thoughts:

1. Do not go to the camera screen. Rather, touch the trailer icon (No. 3 in your image). I think that will get you to where you need to go.

2. Does your trailer have LED lights? If so, the system won't recognize the trailer. There are a couple of fixes that are detailed in this forum. Search for "LED" and you should get to the relevant posts.

#5 ·
Eric,

#3 in my image is the settings screen, nota a trailer icon. #4 is navigation, #5 phone, etc. I don't see any trailer icon unless I'm missing something.

I don't think my trailer has LED lights in the front where the Tow Assist decal would go. It's an Airstream.

#6 · (Edited)
If the airstream is less than 10 years old it has LED lights which will likely not draw enough power to signal the Rover that you have connected a trailer. One way to find out is to put your blinker on and see if there is a trailer icon on the instrument cluster that flashes with the blinker. Your rear parking proximity sensors should also automatically deactivate when in reverse.

#8 ·
I have ordered a 2021 aistream. My plan is to utilize a magnetic trailer light kit to trick the Rover into tow mode. The mag light kit has standard bulbs and plugs into the flat 4 connection on the rover. When I plug it in, the rover goes into tow mode. I will plug the airstream into the round 7 pin plug and plug the magnetic lights into the flat 4 connector. I will attach the magnetic lights under the airstream to the frame or belly where they will not melt anything from getting hot. I will zip tie the pigtail to the airstream pigtail and plug them in at the same time. This is still kind of a theory because I have not received my airstream yet. I do know that the mag lights trick the rover and I do know that the 7 pin still works with the flat 4 connector in use. The mag light kit is less than $30 on Amazon. Make sure that the kit is not an LED system.

#14 ·
I got it today. Doesn't seem to work—or at least not completely.

Now, when I put on the turn signal, I see a small green trailer icon blinking in the dashboard panel. So it seems to know there's a trailer connected. However, I never saw the pop-up described in the owner's manual that is supposed to take me through the configuration process. And when I click on the "camera" icon in the menu bar, all I see is what I took a picture of and linked to earlier in the thread. There are no Tow Assist or Advanced Tow Assist icons.

@Bamablue, I'd like to try your solution. Would you mind linking me to the specific mag light kit you got on Amazon?

#15 · (Edited)
The link is below but before you go that route I think you may have solved the problem if you are getting the flashing trailer icon. My rover is a 16 so it does not have advanced tow assist. I was just trying to get the vehicle to recognize the trailer so that it would change the shift points, activate the trailer stability assist, deactivate rear parking sensors, and deactivate auto leveling. Your vehicle knows the trailer is connected so there must be something else you have to do to turn the Advanced Tow Assist assist function on. As I understand it and you probably already know this you have to calibrate the trailer so that the rover knows how to steer it. Supposedly when you connect it you will be prompted to create a profile for the trailer. You will measure distances to the axels and must put a sticker with 3 circles on the front 2 corners of the trailer that the camera can see while you make some maneuvers until it learns how the trailer responds to steering inputs. Once the rover has created the profile and you select the profile you should be able to use the advanced features. You will press the terrain response rotary control knob so that it pops up, put the rover in reverse, pull up on the terrain response rotary control knob then you will be able to press the advance tow assist icon on the screen. I am glad the Blade Electrical adapter worked, that will help a lot of people.

#16 ·
That's just the thing, though. I do not get the prompt to create a profile for the trailer when I connect it. Also, according to the manual instructions, when a trailer is connected I should be able to press the camera icon and see the screen with the Tow Assist and Advanced Tow Assist icons. I do not see that. I just see the backup camera view.

So, while it does seem to be detecting a trailer, it is not showing me the prompt to create the trailer profile, nor is it showing the icons for Tow Assist or Advanced Tow Assist which might allow me to set up the profile manually.

#18 ·
I see your point. I am not going to be of much more help other than to say that I have pulled 4 or 5 different trailers with my rover over the last 4 years and I have only seen the prompt to create a profile 1 time. I imagine if you continue to connect and cycle the rover on and off eventually it will ask you to setup a new trailer. When I tried the mag lights all I was looking for was the flashing trailer icon with the blinker. It didn't ask me to create a profile. When I get home this afternoon I will try cycling it on and off a few times to see if it prompts me to set up a new trailer.

#20 ·
Success. I plugged the trailer in got in the rover started it up put it in reverse played with the cameras. Park reverse and nothing happened. I left it idling went back disconnected and reconnected the trailer, got back in shut the door put it in reverse, park etc nothing. I shut it off opened the door shut the door started it up and bam. Have you connected a new trailer came up? I have a feeling that all I had to do was shut it off open and close the door then start it up was all that was required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.