RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can't find post about jumping brown wire under steering column to battery

I've just spent almost a half hour searching. I give up.

I read a post about a member who discovered a trick to 'jump' the thick brown wire from the steering column to the battery terminal. Does anyone recall where that is?

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
Re: Can't find post about jumping brown wire under steering column to battery

For what purpose? WHat is the root issue?

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I don't remember exactly. It was kind of a happy accident discovery that happened when addressing a wiring-related issue.

The poster said he found that a lot of electronics we're being powered ultimately by this single large brown wire, and that he jumped it directly to the battery which resulted in all sorts of unexpected benefits.

I vaguely recall him saying the large brown wire originated behind/below the steering column. IIRC he jumped it from there to the battery, through the bulkhead.

·
Banned
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
3,952 Posts

Repair the actual problem rather than bodge your way around it. The thick brown wire(s) get their power from the battery but via the fusible links. The connections between the fusible links and the rest of the loom corrode so all sorts of odd electrical problems occur. These connections are inside a braided covering in the loom which is between the battery and coolant header tank. Easy test to see if you have a problem is to use a voltmeter and measure the voltage at the battery with the ignition switched on. Then check the voltage at each of the fuses in the dashboard fusebox. They should all read the same and be within 0.2 volts of the battery voltage. You will almost certainly find anything up to 2 volts or more difference. Slide the braiding down the loom, cut out the hairy green connections that you will find and solder the ends of the fusible links to the loom.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts