RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

I am a new member and I will eventually get around to introducing myself in the new members section. I'm originally from Southern California but I attend college in Idaho and now I'm temporarily living in the Denver, CO area until school starts up again.

I am a new owner of a 2004 Range Rover HSE. It is higher mileage but despite some minor cosmetic things and normal wear and tear, the coolant temp gauge stays smack in the middle, ac blows cold and everything overall runs ok. I'll explain more in the new members section about my new acquisition, but for now I'm having a heck of a problem.

I have one of those cheap little 70 dollar code readers for OBD2-based vehicles from autozone. I've owned the reader for awhile and every single vehicle I've had before this one it would just slide on and slide off with ease. However, this is not the case on the Range Rover. It seems to have clipped into the port because I can't pull it or jiggle it off. It's stuck and I don't know after all the other ports I've used it on it this is the first time it's done this.

Help appreciated, thanks!
'

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,719 Posts
THere is nothing for it to clip to unless yours was damaged somehow. The only thing that springs to mind is a possible bent pin holding it. You can give it a good hard yank or disassemble your dash to try to separate it another way.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THere is nothing for it to clip to unless yours was damaged somehow. The only thing that springs to mind is a possible bent pin holding it. You can give it a good hard yank or disassemble your dash to try to separate it another way.
hmmmmm...it sorta confuses me. Even though it's still connected and maybe stuck it is still getting a live signal and showing the codes. if it is on there somehow bent or damaged I don't think it would still be giving it a signal?

the frustrating thing too is the diagnostics port is literally in a crammed recession in the dash and with the scanner cable cable its even more difficult to try and get a hold of it enough to pull it out.

by the way, on our cars can any obd2 scanner or code reader erase codes after a repair has been done or does it have to be a specific one?

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,719 Posts
Not all pins are used on generic scanners. It was jsut a shot in the dark guess though. I suspect you are just being too gentle with it.

OBDII scanners only read basic/generic codes. Ability to erase depends on your model. As far as reading and clearing system specific codes beyond ODBII compliance you would need a scanner that covers the various system for Range Rover. We have an entire section down below for Diagnostic Equipment.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts