Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in bad neighborhoods i find it best to leave the car unlocked with nothing visible

otherwise thieves will break the window, not open doors so alarm doesnt go off, and climb through window to steal stuff

the damage is around 600 per window which falls within deductible so you are out of pocket anyways with insurance

question is does the alarm have to be on to immobilize the engine? or is it automatic immobil without the smart key present? 2014 sport

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Wow, what kind of neighborhoods are you hanging out in?

I'd be worried that they would be pissed there was nothing to steal and would decide to wait in the backseat for the owner to come back.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
1,995 Posts
Install a perimeter sensor that alarms when somebody goes near the vehicle within a meter of touching it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
RIP Our Friend
27,834 Posts
When you get down to it common sense always prevails. Leaving any car unlocked in most any neighbourhood is begging for trouble, vandals or worse. Stop and remember that many of these newer keyless entry/ignition cars can be driven off in about 15 seconds, without a key and when locked. Then again I can think of a few areas around Atlanta I wouldn;t take a nice car in broad daylight and sure as heck wouldn;t be caught in those places leaving my rig unlocked.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Install a perimeter sensor that alarms when somebody goes near the vehicle within a meter of touching it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I remember these in the 90's when you would walk a bit too close to parked cars and they would start beeping and telling you to step away from the car! Then the loud siren would start wailing. It would happen way too often when walking around NY city. Haven't heard or seen one of those in action in a very long time.

·
RIP Our Friend
27,834 Posts
Geez there's a flash from the past. The really ridiculous ones had a woman's voice that would scream "I'VE BEEN VIOLATED!" if someone tried to gain entry. Fortunately those haven;t been sold in ages and the talking ones then moved on to "I'VE BEEN TAMPERED WITH!".

·
Premium Member
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
1,591 Posts
I remember these in the 90's when you would walk a bit too close to parked cars and they would start beeping and telling you to step away from the car! Then the loud siren would start wailing. It would happen way too often when walking around NY city. Haven't heard or seen one of those in action in a very long time.
LOL! That reminds me of the first time I drove into NYC as a HS student from the Midwest (Michigan). I was amazed by all the cars that had "No Radio" signs. Apparently, this was to discourage thieves from wasting time breaking in.

I also remember the speaking alarms as well. Have to say, when I ride my Harley in Old Town Alexandria or in Georgetown DC, car alarms almost always go off when I ride by...

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
LOL! That reminds me of the first time I drove into NYC as a HS student from the Midwest (Michigan). I was amazed by all the cars that had "No Radio" signs. Apparently, this was to discourage thieves from wasting time breaking in.

I also remember the speaking alarms as well. Have to say, when I ride my Harley in Old Town Alexandria or in Georgetown DC, car alarms almost always go off when I ride by...
Oh yes, I remember the whole "No Radio" era, when people had radios installed with the slide-out brackets so you could take the whole radio unit with you when you parked in questionable areas. The good old days :D

·
Registered
764 Posts
Oh yes, I remember the whole "No Radio" era, when people had radios installed with the slide-out brackets so you could take the whole radio unit with you when you parked in questionable areas. The good old days :D
Flashback! I thought I was so upscale because my radio had a removable face so there was no need to lug around the whole stereo body. Very goofy times those were.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.