RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about buying a L322 would prefer a diesel if at all possible looking at the years 2002-2012 which weren't made available in diesel for the U.S. during that period unless I missed something. In doing research on a possible conversion, most of which appears to be for the older Land Cruisers using the 200/300 tdi or the GM 6.5 I came across this bulletin from NHTSA that said the 2004 was eligible to be imported http://regulations.vlex.com/vid/nonconforming-vehicles-decided-importation-532324146...so mu question is threefold...

1.) Is there any info anyone can point me to that shows how a L322 can be converted to Diesel.

2.) Can you buy a crate TDV8 and have it imported to the U.S.

3.) Can you Import a whole 2004 L322 with a diesel drivetrain to the U.S.

Thanks in advance for the help

·
Registered
16 Posts
California is extremely unfriendly to diesels - look for threads on diesel Defenders on Defendersource.com and see what problems owners have registering 25 year old trucks that are legal everywhere else in the USA.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea...California hates a lot of fun things...I'm aware of those issues...but my primary concern is can I get the SUV or engine into the country, without it being confiscated and crushed on arrival....

·
Registered
16 Posts
A vehicle has to be 25 years old to be legal to import - do a little research on importing Land Rovers - there are literally thousands of threads on this subject. Short answer is no - a 2004 will not be importable.
Engines can be a whole different set of problems but you'll have to research that as well. I haven't heard of anyone bringing in a TDV8. Getting the vehicle licensed after an engine swap will very nearly be impossible in California according to others who have tried to get Tdi 4 cylinder swaps registered.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A vehicle has to be 25 years old to be legal to import - do a little research on importing Land Rovers - there are literally thousands of threads on this subject. Short answer is no - a 2004 will not be importable.
Engines can be a whole different set of problems but you'll have to research that as well. I haven't heard of anyone bringing in a TDV8. Getting the vehicle licensed after an engine swap will very nearly be impossible in California according to others who have tried to get Tdi 4 cylinder swaps registered.
Right...Jack, I appreciate your assistance...I'm aware of the 25 yr old rule...but the link I posted in my initial question was from the Feds in regards to exemptions for certain vehicles one of which is a 2004 L322 and if I remember correctly it was written in 2014...most of the stuff I have seen on the internet is regarding the Defender, which I like...but doesn't fall under this particular exemption which I highlighted...so I was trying to determine if anyone had imported a L322 or a diesel engine for a L322 under that exemption, most of the information particularly here is from 2008 or prior...on the grand scale the California problem is a minor inconvenience if I can't get the truck or engine on shore without it being confiscated and crushed....

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,119 Posts
The engine itself is the least of your issues.
Having done a motor swap in a P38, I just could never justify doing the whole job, for a diesel. this is of course assuming you want it done right.
Engine, ECM's, wiring harness', becm programming, and so on, as a start.

Martin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts