RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My transmission bell housing has an uncomfortable number of missing fasteners (yes, as well as a chunk missing). Inspection window is missing a bolt as well. It is beyond me how I wouldn't be losing fluid, but I'm getting zero transmission fluid loss... Is this lack of fasteners normal? Should I be worried?

1995 RRC LWB Automatic

I really need to learn more about the transmissions on these cars... have pretty much every other system wired, but knock-on-wood, haven't had an issue to force me to learn this one yet. I did recently start having some rough down-shifting, likely sticking governor... I threw in a bottle of Lube Guard Auto Tranny Fluid and was blown away at the effectiveness of the additive for this particular problem. Less shock, smoother shifts.

·
Registered
313 Posts
It should be dry inside there, just the flexplate with gear peripheral for starter motor engagement, torque converter is bolted onto that so it a spins as one assembly with crank, then gearbox main drive shaft enters the centre of torque converter concentric with a sleeve that has an oil seal round it preventing the gearbox oil entering the bell housing.

You should be able to remove inspection plate to look inside if you wish, no seal used as far as I know.

Roughly where the bell housing blends into gearbox casting is the location of the seal to separate the two chambers

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Appreciate the lesson on this plate... makes sense to me now. Should I fill that hole to prevent dirt build up inside of the housing?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Appreciate the lesson on this plate... makes sense to me now. Should I fill that hole to prevent dirt build up inside of the housing?
If this is the hole you are referring to, it is purpose-specific to allow any oil leaks to drain out of the bell housing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts