RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

My insurers have asked me if there is a second key for my potential new P38.

A new electronic key, that is.

There isn't, only key no. 1 is present.

They want to know where the other one is - lost, I suppose, then, what happens if the old, lost key is used to steal the car?

Humph ..... how do I know?

Question - can the car be re programmed to suit a new key?

Answers on a postcard, please, and yes, you may phone a friend ....

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,724 Posts
the EKA has nothing to do with first, second or third keys. Yea it can be changed to any four digit code you like

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I must have posed the question badly.

Can the car be programmed to respond to a completely new fob?

That is, say both keys are stolen, so you need to get new ones but differently "coded".

(still don't know if I'm asking it right! :) )

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,366 Posts
If you need to change fobs to a new code, then you also need to change the lockset (which includes the fobs) and have the BECM reprogrammed.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Out of interest, today got a P38 started where the owner didnt have eka code, its the rangie jap import from mozambique
So I used 1414 and it started.......a bit baffled by this cos it means they are not that secure..
(battery was disconnected and removed for charging over night)

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,724 Posts
viperover said:
BeCM can be programmed to ignore "lost key" so Im told, replacements keys now around R3200 excluding ignore request on BeCM reset...
You would have to know the code for the key that was lost in order to disable the remote. However, the blade would still work so the entire excersize would be pointless.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Could you get the second key from the dealer and then show insurer that you have both keys. I don't believe our insurer ever asked the question and the value is so low that the theft risk is low so your conscience should not bother you. besides. you could choose not to collect if stolen but you would have the necessary liability coverage.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, that's a possibility.

But, I'm more concerned that the new P38 I'm getting only has one key fob ....... if the other is not lost but in someone's hands, they could simply pinch the car!

OK, maybe not much of a worry, but you never know, and I can see that to change the fobs, locks, BECM settings would cost a fortune!

What alternatives are there?

·
Registered
483 Posts
A fair comment but then you can have up to four keys.

Where is the difference compared to getting a car with the standard two and a previous owner acquired and kept key 3 and/or 4?

·
Registered
235 Posts
From what I remember, when I misplaced one of mine and bought a replacement, same number, #one I believe, then found the original, it no longer worked, that's because the fob sends a different random code each time, the BECM logs it and knows the next one in a series to be expected, which is why if a fob is pressed a number of times out of range of the reciever, it has to be re-synced. I seem to remember I could re-sync the original one losing the use of the new one, but it was a long time ago and could be wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me if so.
cheers John

·
Registered
931 Posts
Jovinblak said:
From what I remember, when I misplaced one of mine and bought a replacement, same number, #one I believe, then found the original, it no longer worked, that's because the fob sends a different random code each time, the BECM logs it and knows the next one in a series to be expected, which is why if a fob is pressed a number of times out of range of the reciever, it has to be re-synced. I seem to remember I could re-sync the original one losing the use of the new one, but it was a long time ago and could be wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me if so.
cheers John
Quite right, I ended up with two number 2 keyfobs(long story) and can only sync and use one at a time.When you resync each it locks out the other one :roll: :roll:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts