RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the turn signal in the rear lights “swoop” like an Audi, or just blink?

What happens if you turn on the turn signal while the lights are on? (At night.) Does the “regular” light just deactivate until the turn signal is off?

A simple answer would be great, but a video would be fantastic. (Why doesn’t this exist on the Internet? I think I’ve looked everywhere.) I’ve seen some aftermarket lights with “fixes” and I want to make sure that they behave like factory, as I don’t want to be responsible if I get rear ended because the light isn’t doing what it’s supposed to. Thanks a ton.

Seth

·
Registered
10 Posts

What happens if you turn on the turn signal while the lights are on? (At night.) Does the “regular” light just deactivate until the turn signal is off?

A simple answer would be great, but a video would be fantastic. (Why doesn’t this exist on the Internet? I think I’ve looked everywhere.) I’ve seen some aftermarket lights with “fixes” and I want to make sure that they behave like factory, as I don’t want to be responsible if I get rear ended because the light isn’t doing what it’s supposed to. Thanks a ton.

Seth
The feature you're talking about with the turn signals is called animated lighting, which is standard on all vehicles outside the US. From my research, US regulations will not allow the feature to be activated on US models because there's not an additional blinking light in addition to the sweeping indicator.

Since it is a standard feature, I would be willing to wager there is a way to activate this feature though programming but I haven't been able to find one thus far.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
PERFECT. Thank you for the explanation. It’s astonishing to me that I could find this info, anywhere. The guys at Powerful seemed to go with a workaround that shut off the normal lights when the indicator was enabled. I wonder if that’s legal in the U.S. I’d guess not.

EDIT: What does the factory light do when the signal is blinking, even if not animated?

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
307 Posts
It just blinks.

I looked into the powerful UK ones but they lack a reflective signal which I guess could be dicey in North America.

Reactions: Madtown

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It just blinks.

I looked into the powerful UK ones but they lack a reflective signal which I guess could be dicey in North America.
Is that on an ‘18 Truck, or an earlier model with the ‘18 lamps retrofitted? I believe there is a pin in the ‘18 lamps which is empty in the earlier harnesses, so a retrofit may not work exactly like the refreshed units. If it’s a full ‘18, what happens at night with the tail lights when you indicate? Does one side stay red while the other blinks yellow (with no red) or does the blinking side illuminate both? Thanks.
Seth

·
Registered
10 Posts
Is that on an ‘18 Truck, or an earlier model with the ‘18 lamps retrofitted? I believe there is a pin in the ‘18 lamps which is empty in the earlier harnesses, so a retrofit may not work exactly like the refreshed units. If it’s a full ‘18, what happens at night with the tail lights when you indicate? Does one side stay red while the other blinks yellow (with no red) or does the blinking side illuminate both? Thanks.
Seth
My 2019 SVR just blinks. Im sure there's a way to code on the sweeping animated indicators through programming. The hardware is identical to the UK models (although they have an additional options for enhanced lighting with the pixel LED and Pixel Laser headlight upgrades that has 4 bodies in the assembly vs. our 2). All 3 variations of the premium lighting have the "signature DRL lighting", which means they have the animated and daytime running functions. (Strange, but it seems like we only have 1 option in the US??)

I would speak with the companies that have handheld tuners for our cars and see if its a feature that they can access.

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
170 Posts
I’ve been told the rest of world headlights and taillights have a different ballast system and aren’t compatible with USA spec cars. I’ve thought about buying a euro headlight to test but they are $$$$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My 2019 SVR just blinks. Im sure there's a way to code on the sweeping animated indicators through programming. The hardware is identical to the UK models (although they have an additional options for enhanced lighting with the pixel LED and Pixel Laser headlight upgrades that has 4 bodies in the assembly vs. our 2). All 3 variations of the premium lighting have the "signature DRL lighting", which means they have the animated and daytime running functions. (Strange, but it seems like we only have 1 option in the US??)

I would speak with the companies that have handheld tuners for our cars and see if its a feature that they can access.
Santorini, can you tell me how the tail blinker works at night? (You’ve probably never been behind your car with the signal on.) If you turn on the indicator, or hazards, does it blink OVER (or at the same time) the red tail lights, is there some kind of alternation, or do the red lights on that side shut off until the indicator is shut off? I’m trying to understand the mechanics. I believe I know how it works if an OEM ‘18 lamp is plugged into an earlier vehicle (the turn signal blinks at the same time the red is on), but I’m not sure how the ‘18+, itself, works if you turn on the turn signal AT NIGHT. I’d assume Land Rover has a better solution, and one which applied to U.S. law. Thank you much.
Seth

·
Registered
10 Posts
Santorini, can you tell me how the tail blinker works at night? (You’ve probably never been behind your car with the signal on.) If you turn on the indicator, or hazards, does it blink OVER (or at the same time) the red tail lights, is there some kind of alternation, or do the red lights on that side shut off until the indicator is shut off? I’m trying to understand the mechanics. I believe I know how it works if an OEM ‘18 lamp is plugged into an earlier vehicle (the turn signal blinks at the same time the red is on), but I’m not sure how the ‘18+, itself, works if you turn on the turn signal AT NIGHT. I’d assume Land Rover has a better solution, and one which applied to U.S. law. Thank you much.
Seth
The red light bar stays illuminated but varies in brightness to create the blinking effect.

When braking the interior tail light LEDs in the under the clear covering activate and remain solid as the light bar blinks to indicate the turn.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The red light bar stays illuminated but varies in brightness to create the blinking effect.

When braking the interior tail light LEDs in the under the clear covering activate and remain solid as the light bar blinks to indicate the turn.
That’s the info I was looking for. Thanks. If anyone wants to shoot a video, it would be IMMENSELY appreciated. I’m bored and thinking about working up circuit boards, like PowerfulUK but up to U.S. code, to make things work right. It could be a fun project. Thanks, again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
That’s the info I was looking for. Thanks. If anyone wants to shoot a video, it would be IMMENSELY appreciated. I’m bored and thinking about working up circuit boards, like PowerfulUK but up to U.S. code, to make things work right. It could be a fun project. Thanks, again.
I made one earlier, its too large to upload. If you want to PM me your contact info I'll send it over.

I'd be very interested in getting my lights coded as well to activate the animated lighting sweep feature!

·
Registered
2 Posts
It just blinks.

Same here. However, this "reflective signal" that Powerful UK references, is an illuminated sidemarker within the tail light that stays on (at night). To tell you the truth, I can't even make the difference between a vehicle at night that has illuminated "side markers" vs. one that doesn't... especially if it's in the rear of the vehicle. You won't get stopped for this, trust me. Only question is whether the lamps sold from Powerful UK will operate 100% correctly in a North American Spec L494.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The feature you're talking about with the turn signals is called animated lighting, which is standard on all vehicles outside the US. From my research, US regulations will not allow the feature to be activated on US models because there's not an additional blinking light in addition to the sweeping indicator.

Since it is a standard feature, I would be willing to wager there is a way to activate this feature though programming but I haven't been able to find one thus far.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the newer Gen Ford Mustang and Tesla Model S have sweeping turn signals? I have seen them all over California since 2015.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the newer Gen Ford Mustang and Tesla Model S have sweeping turn signals? I have seen them all over California since 2015.
Today, I saw them on a Camry, but they could’ve been aftermarket.

·
Registered
L494 V8 SC Dynamic
299 Posts
Same here. However, this "reflective signal" that Powerful UK references, is an illuminated sidemarker within the tail light that stays on (at night). To tell you the truth, I can't even make the difference between a vehicle at night that has illuminated "side markers" vs. one that doesn't... especially if it's in the rear of the vehicle. You won't get stopped for this, trust me. Only question is whether the lamps sold from Powerful UK will operate 100% correctly in a North American Spec L494.
I will be able to tell you if they work on a NAS spec vehicle as I bought the take-off units used in Powerful UK's L494 they use in the Youtube video's. They have new clear units they installed so I asked if I could buy the facelift OEM style units they removed & they said yes indeed. Shipped out today.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I will be able to tell you if they work on a NAS spec vehicle as I bought the take-off units used in Powerful UK's L494 they use in the Youtube video's. They have new clear units they installed so I asked if I could buy the facelift OEM style units they removed & they said yes indeed. Shipped out today.
Very cool. Looking forward to this info. Are they still open? I’d just assumed that they were locked down with the rest of England.

·
Registered
2019 Range Rover Sport
19 Posts
They have some aftermarket ones on eBay - just search for Range Rover sport dynamic taillights. They’re pricey tho - $1500+. Not worth it IMO. I did settle for the dynamic swooping side mirror turn signals. Easy install and I personally like the fact that they’re smoked instead of chrome. Got it from Powerful UK after watching their vid on how to upgrade it.

·
Registered
5 Posts

A simple answer would be great, but a video would be fantastic. (Why doesn’t this exist on the Internet? I think I’ve looked everywhere.) I’ve seen some aftermarket lights with “fixes” and I want to make sure that they behave like factory, as I don’t want to be responsible if I get rear ended because the light isn’t doing what it’s supposed to. TThani

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought the GLOW taillights for my L494 and they do the sweeping motion. I love the lights but they were about $1500.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts