RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,705 Posts
HUH? Seriously, you need to give us more to go on here. We are not mind readers as to what this post is about.

There is no mileage or age where failure is expected or even to be thought of. How long any engine lasts is up to the owners and how they are maintained. I have a P38 with 362K miles and only a head gasket job and front cover due to a failed oil pump gear. I had a BMW first gen L322 that grenaded on the freeway at only 40K miles.

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
My guess is a 200k mile 4.2 with failed timing.. seems that’s about when they like to go?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
457 Posts
I just finished rebuilding the 4.2 engine. Estimated time 1.5 year.
The main failure was the 7-8 cylinders.
On 110k miles

all started with misfires after misfires hesitations on cold weather

in russia due to gas quality land rover engines are not reliable.
Rebuild was simple very simple the main problem was setting the valves.

Now i have another problems. Noise from the supercharger and the rear cross link valves

craZy car with craZy problems, widowmaker

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry I wasn't clear enough.

engine is shot and I would like to know how many hours it takes to remove and replace the engine commonly referred to as R&R. One dealer quoted me $3500 and another dealer $5500 in labour.one of them is off so I would like to know first hand what the actual hours are required to remove and replace the engine.

not looking for hours to rebuild or anything else ,just to remove and replace the engine.

i hope this is a little more clear.

thanks

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,705 Posts
Depends on the shop... some dealers folks stand around with their thumbs in very dark places instead of actually working for their billings. Do yourself a favour and find an independent LR shop to do this for you. It'll be half the cost and much better quality over the dealers. If you put a real location in your profile instead of vague country someone may have a recommendation for a good shop in "Canada" or even your area. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is only one dealer near here and one that does specialize in high end imports.

i would like to know what the time is as I might decide to tackle it myself. As well I would like to know if I am being ripped off if I let someone else do it.

Hopefully someone on this forum has access to Mitchel On Demand or something similar that states the hours to remove and replace.

I don't have any interest in shipping the truck and donor outside of my city.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Here is what I suggest as you have two engines to pull. Look in the stickies - FAQ section and download the 2007-2010 service manual. It covers the 4.2 S/C engine. You could also look through the RAVE manual which covers the earlier engine. Hopefully someone will chime in if the 2007 differs from the 2006, but I doubt it. Regardless between RAVE and the other manual you should be fine.

I have a 2004 and have done the job on the BMW 4.4. I didn't have a lift, just used really tall beefy jack stands, that I lowered when I pulled the motor, and then raised again for bolting it all up. Not hard at all. Rovah did it without any books. Others have done them also. The second go around I paid a shop to do it, $600.00 as he said it was a 12 hour job to remove and replace. He used a lift, which helped from time to time, but usually the truck was down. I paid for all material - he was just labor. My guy took his time and had no complaints about his fee. Looking at the 2007-2010 manual the 4.2 S/C doesn't look that much different removal wise. Start at page 693/3104 to see what is required.

If you have the time and space, nothing too difficult - you will have to purchase or fashion some engine lifting brackets. It is just an engine pull - nothing different from a Toyota - disconnect everything and pull out the top (per the referenced manual). If you are afraid, maybe try a body shop as they bill at a lower hour rate and small shops have guys/gals, at least in my experience, that are really good. The quotes you mention are crazy.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,705 Posts
I don't have any interest in shipping the truck and donor outside of my city.

Dude, we have no idea what city or even province you are in ... "Canada" is a country, not a location. Update your profile with where you really are so someone local can lend a hand. The members here are not mind readers when it comes to your local references.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks KG74!

I kind of thought those quotes were a bit high.

I must of stated it wrong, both are sc 2006 with matching engine numbers so that part should be fine.

Im a little confused about the jack stands. Did you use them on the motor or the vehicle?

I read somewhere that the engine is easier to swap with the body off.

RRToadHall, I'm in Winnipeg Manitoba. I haven't figured out where to edit my location. I just added my model to my profile today. I'll try and figure it out right away.

thanks

·
Registered
346 Posts
I placed the jack stands on the engine cradle so I could get under the vehicle. The higher the jack stands the easier to move around. On the lift out, you have to lower them to pull then engine out the top.

Look at the shop manual written by Range Rover. They pull the motor out the top. I don't see how lifting the body off would be easier, maybe for a RR Sport (Youtube has videos on this). You have to disconnect everything either way so adding taking off the body would not make things easier. Taking two bodies off is flat out crazy.

You need to embrace the "Spirit of Rovah" and just start taking parts off until you are done. You have two motors to pull so doing it yourself is the only real option unless you want to be upside down money wise on the truck. As a bonus, every part you pull is now a spare.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks kg74!

I think that's exactly what I am going to do.

I am sure you are right about the body removal was on the sport. It was 3am when I was reading up on this.

Your guy wouldn't like a paid vacation to Winnipeg by any chance? �� I would love to get off with a bill like that.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks kg74!

I think that's exactly what I am going to do.

I am sure you are right about the body removal was on the sport. It was 3am when I was reading up on this.

Your guy wouldn't like a paid vacation to Winnipeg by any chance? �� I would love to get off with a bill like that.
out of curiosity how many km on the bunk engine?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Follow up....

After lots of research the time is about 10 hours to remove and 9 hours to replace.

I guess the extra hour for removal is for the swearing and cussing. ;-)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts