RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a non-op 99 Rangie SE.
Two correct switchblade keys were included.
Both remotes were included.

One is complete- Key is attached. If I push a button the red LED illuminates but- nothing happens

The other is dismantled- PO separated key from remote in an effort to "fix it". It does not do anything- Rear cover is trashed.

I have read everything I can about the keys and remotes on this site and every onther site I can find... (still, I am a little confused)

Questions:

1. Can I remove "guts" of remotes and install them in the new "ebay" cases?

2. Is there a way to get these keys to cooperate again or am I at the mercy of the dealer?

Any input is welcome.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
334 Posts
I recently purchased a non-op 99 Rangie SE.
Two correct switchblade keys were included.
Both remotes were included.

One is complete- Key is attached. If I push a button the red LED illuminates but- nothing happens

The other is dismantled- PO separated key from remote in an effort to "fix it". It does not do anything- Rear cover is trashed.

I have read everything I can about the keys and remotes on this site and every onther site I can find... (still, I am a little confused)

Questions:

1. Can I remove "guts" of remotes and install them in the new "ebay" cases?

Yes- IF the guts are still working. If you can't get the car to lock and unlock from the guts alone (with battery connected) then you'll need to do some further diagnosing.... if it works then get a pair of ebay cases and you're golden.

First thing to do is re-sync the key- insert key in door and turn (lock or unlock) while pressing the appropriate key button SIMULTANEOUSLY. Withdraw key and see if it'll lock and unlock from the button alone.

If it does then you've got at least one working key...... but if it doesn't then you got some extra diagnosing to do.

2. Is there a way to get these keys to cooperate again or am I at the mercy of the dealer?

If the guts won't work with new batteries connected then you'll need to check if the bits in the car (I think the BECM is involved but possibly a few other components too) which other forummers can probably advise you with and if those check out ok then yeah- you're at the mercy of the dealer as far as I can tell. You'll need to go over there with proof of ownership and VIN and order yourself a brand new set from Landrover. I dunno about where you are but where I'm at Landrover Malaysia will refuse to do this if the car is a grey import, leaving the owner to try to deal direct with Landerover (difficult).

Any input is welcome.

Hope this helps, buddy.... I've actually changed mine (via Landrover Malaysia) so that's how I know the whole rigmarole you have to go through.....

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, thanks for the input.
I've just ordered some new cases and will swap the guts and add new batteries and try the whole synch process when they arrive sometime next week...
I will post my progress and results.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts