RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So on my '11 I've noticed that my auto-wipers aren't really auto. When the rain dries up, they don't really stop wiping and when it gets really heavy they don't really speed up. They pretty much just keep wiping at a fixed interval that isn't all that different between MIN and MAX settings. In fact I've been finding myself often having to manually turn them to full-wipe. In the past on my '05 it seemed like the headlight and rain sensor were all integrated into the windshield. Is that still the case? I'm kinda wondering if the sensor is faulty.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
248 Posts
The sensor itself is removable and replaceable on its own. There is however an optical element (a kens or something of the sort) that is integrated in the windscreen.
Anything with the sensor electronics can be fixed without replacing or even removing the windscreen.

Quoting from Topix:

The rain sensor is located at the upper edge of the windscreen, behind the interior rear view mirror. The sensor is mounted on an optical unit which is heat bonded to the inner surface of the windscreen during manufacture. If damage occurs to the optical unit or the windscreen, then a new windscreen will be required and fitment can only be performed by an authorised Land Rover dealer.

The rain sensor unit attaches to the optical unit via four clips which latch onto formed tags on the optical unit. Positive retention is achieved by two retaining clips which force the clips onto the tags. The retaining clips must be withdrawn to facilitate sensor removal.

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
Before replacing anything, make sure the wipers are clearing well. If they're streaking, it might be working as designed, but with the wipers not fully clearing the glass where the sensor is.

Also take a look at the sensor from the outside, make sure no air bubbles/gaps at the sensor mount.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts