RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Locked the car with the key before going on vacation for a week.
Came back, unlock 98 LR with a key and the alarm goes off on opening. Only the door lock unlockes.
Using the key fob nothing happens.
Tried the synch procedure of turning and pressing the button to no avail.
Was there a second one where you went left twice right once left three times etc??? Have searched Key fob synch with no success advice is to search -- anyone have link or could we sticky that? Pages and pages of same issue.

Read this advice, what is the correct order to disconnect battery?
The correct procedure for the later models of RR to disconnect the battery (so it doesn't think it's being stolen) is to switch the ignition on, and then off again (let the sat nav power down for 2 minutes if fitted) then disconnect battery... if you do it without putting key in ignition first, then apparently it thinks it should be armed and will usually relock all the doors when the battery is reconnected (NEVER LEAVE THE KEY IN THE CAR WHILST RECONNECTING THE BATTERY!!!)
The led lights and blinks and keeps blinking - the battery in the fob is at least 10 years old likely longer.
Is it assumed it is ok if it lights?
BECM was looked at by Scotty because was sure it was that, of course that turned out to be ok.
Checked the door switches
Battery was not fully charged - had that checked and charged - did not fix.

Any ideas?

Next year it turns 20 and still has low mileage and looks great so I want to keep it. Just need to get this gremlin sorted

My neighbors will thank you

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,295 Posts
You've kind of mixed up two different solutions to two problems here, both of which you have!
If the battery has gone flat while vehicle is locked, then the vehicle has probably immobilised itself. To rectify this, you need to enter the EKA code (the sequence of lock/ unlock turns in drivers door lock- the "second one" that you refer to above). Once this has been done and immobilisation has been removed you then re-sync the key fob using the hold unlock button, turn key to unlock etc method.
Things can be complicated if the BECM has lost sync with the ECM. If that's the case you need to resync that as well, using Testbook, Nano, Syncmate or similar.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tried the 1515 key method and it did not work.
Tried taking the battery off and putting in the second position...
Error --- engine immobilized -----
and the buttons still do not work :crybaby2:

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
1515 is not in anyway default for NAS P38s. When delivered BeCMs had no code. The dealer gave original owners the choice to add a code of their choosing. It was rather like picking a PIN on a new credit card or checking account. I am not sure where this 1515 came from but your BeCM could have any 4 digit code.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Alternatively, the code could indeed be 1515.
As TH says, it is not a "Default" but for whatever reason, it seems to be a very common code on NAS spec RRs.
Are you Positive that when you are inputting the code, that the indicator on the dash is flashing?
If not, you have a door switch issue.
If the fobs did not work before, then they cannot be re synced until the alarmed state is cleared.
It is also just possible that with all of the mucking about you have done by removing the battery whilst it is immobilised, etc. you have put the Becm into lock down, which will require a trip to your preferred BECM Doctor for unlocking.
If you can get your hands on an BBS Nanocom, or it's equivalent, you may be able to re mobilize yourself, as the EKA can be entered via this device as well. Hint: All P-38 owners should own or have access to a Nano type device. it saves a bunch of $$ and heartache......

·
Registered
16 Posts
Mine did exactly this the other day. Not entirely sure why, but same symptoms as you. Locked with the key (my remote doesnt work). Came back a few hours later and when i unlocked it only the one door unlocked, alarm went off when i opened the door, and engine disabled appeard when i tried to start it.

Oddly, when it was in its strange state, Nanocom wouldnt talk to the BECM. It just kept saying coudlnt start communications with the ecu. I didnt unfortunately have the EKA to hand so didnt try inputting it.

In the end i disconnected the battery, waited a few minutes and then reconnected it with all the doors shut. At this point the car locked all the doors by itself. I then used the key to unlock, and it unlocked successfully and started right up.

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
Having an operational remote is absolutely critical. You are already getting hints of a failing latch. The key in only a backup for the remote you should be using at all time. Soon you will be sending your BeCM of to be unlocked AND you will still have to repair or replace the latch that is failing. Fixing issues when they first present them selves is much more cost effective than procrastinating.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I believe the Battery disconnect Position II and reconnect has been known to work on EARLY P-38's They got much more clever later on, not sure which code revision in the Becm. If you try that trick with a later mod. (My 02, for example) it will assume it is really being stolen, and will most likely go into alarm lock down, necessitating removal and unlocking.
TH is correct! Not having at least one working Fob for a P-38 is like playing Russian Roulette. It will bite you, just a matter of time

1 - 9 of 9 Posts