RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my new RRS and Im trying to connect my Spotify account (from a Samsung Gal 4S) to the audio via Bluetooth OR hardwired. When I use Pandora, it works, I can see the song, artist, etc. on the Nav screen but when I try to switch to Spotify, it won't show the info on the nav screen.

Any thoughts on this? Is it bc Land Rover's software doesn't support the Spotify app? Is there an Android app that will allow this?

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
Land Rover's fairly primitive infotainment system doesn't really support Pandora - or any other specific streaming services - either, all they support is the audio streaming over Bluetooth standard (with compatible handsets.) The rest is up to the respective apps developers. So, the fact you can see the name of song and artist on the touchscreen is just a "byproduct" of the Pandora app written for Android phones. Perhaps as Spotify releases updates of its own Android app in the future, they will add that feature as well.

·
Registered
68 Posts
You can with the iPod and iPhone in the early L322´s so I figured I mention this. The first generation L322 (Range Rover 2002-2005) is an exception since it was based on a lot of BMW technology.
It uses the BMW "iBus" instrumentation bus, a serial bus that transports messages between the various ECUs that control instrument panel functions, power windows and use the head unit buttons and steering wheel buttons as user interfaces.

A clever interface unit, the Intravee (later Intravee II) was developed by a british programmer as an iBus signal processing adapter. It featured an Alpine "AiBus" interface and could emulate the iBus protocol CD changer used in BMW cars where it became a very popular solution. It happened to work in the L322 as well especially when replacing the BMW MkIII GPS navigator back end unit in the L322 with a BMW Mk IV unit where the song information is displayed in a better way. This is the way the iPod/iPhone integrates in the Range Rover, appearing to the driver as the CD changer player interface. Thanks to the AiBus interface the Intravee could be connected to a lot of Alpine car stereo equipment and one particular happy marriage was the Alpine KCA-420i iPod Interface. This combo turned of to have an unexpected technical lifetime that continues today in the sense that the iPhone can still be used as a "CD changer" playback source. Even the iPhone5 works with the use of the Lightning socket adapter by Apple. And with the arrival of the Spotify app and other similar music apps these can be used to stream music from the Internet into your L322. And this works amazingly well.
I am particularly happy with Spotify where I can play songs from my Spotify playlists and navigate songs and volume using the L322 steering wheel controls. Not bad for a system that arrived in 2002. The obtained audio quality is very good. I have kept one extra set of KCA-420i and Intravee II as spares to assure I will always be able to stream Spotify in a Range Rover even if I pass this L322 on to a new owner.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts