1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 HSE
170,000 miles
Black
Fully equipped (roof rack, cattle guard, etc)
Tires are good
Runs very well
Sounds good, right?

Problems:
Cannot pass emissions. Put thousands of dollars into trying to fix the issue and gave up when a new computer, new oxygen sensors, (cannot remember what else right now) didn't work. Asked the forum for help, I followed the advice at three different garages and the problem is still there.
Climate control light is very dim and can only be seen at night. (cost to fix is astronomical)
Dash clock doesn't work (cost to fix is absurd, cannot just buy a new clock unfortunately)
Leaking coolant or some fluid, currently in a fourth garage being evaluated.
Keyless entry doesn't work

Blue book says $5,000 for fair condition (http://www.kbb.com/used-cars/land-rover ... age=172000) but will anyone realistically buy a car that cannot pass emissions?

Thanks, I always appreciate the help.

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
Of course someone would be willing to buy it. Your coolant leak will be ORings or head gasket most likely. Emmisions is usually no big deal, it just takes someone to check and clean items and reset your base values. Since you have done the O2s I would vote for a dirty MAF or vacuum leak. If your AC is showing a faint book signal you have most likely a poor ground or failing relay. I;d be willing to bet a round of ground and sensor cleaning with checking fault codes would do wonders. Unfortunately it sounds like the local shops are happy to take your money instead of you checking things out yourself.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Climate control light is the backlight bulb - about a 20 minute job & an $8.00 bulb kit.

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
TheBoss said:
Climate control light is the backlight bulb - about a 20 minute job & an $8.00 bulb kit.
You are dead on correct. I missread and was thinking it was the checkbook symbol that was dimly lit. Aparently I am the dimly lit one today. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
193 Posts
Honestly (and not to rain on anyone's parade), I live in WI and I would probably give you $2,000 @ best for it...

Could buy a new climate control if it had to come down to it. (or used from the correct source on here :))

I think the same person also has a clock or two for sale?

If the coolant leak isn't terrible you could try some bar's stop leak pellets, especially @ 170K it would be worth the effort to me?

Door locks... Not too sure, but depending on where yo ulive not always necessary either.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies.

triplb25 - Door locks work just the keyless entry does not. (If you're interested, call me at 414.339.9927)

I guess I'll put it on Craig's List, this forum's selling spot and see what happens. Best plan, right? Is it even worth seeing what a dealer will buy it from me for? I know the rep dealers get so I'm hesitant.

Any ideas on how much I should claim for an asking price?

Thanks again.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
As already said, I would offer @$2k myself.
Dont know the legalities of not claiming it failed emissions in Wi, but I wouldnt have a problem buying it and fixing it up.
Not really worth a whole lot around the midwest unfortunately.
Martin

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
No emissions here in FL. **** the polar bears and baby seals.

Stick it on ebay. Somebody will buy it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Bars leak will fill his radiator - and start another series of visits to the mechanic.

Not sure about WI, but around here once you have spent $XXX on emissions repairs, they allow you to drive exempt - look into it.....or you could use my P.O. Box as your address and register it here in CT. ;)

All kidding aside, there isn't a single thing you are dealing with that one of us hasn't seen - take them one at a time and sort the truck out - you'll be glad you did.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
will give you fifty bucks for it :) as long as you offer free shipping :)

you guys got the steering wheel in the wrong spot so its only good to me for a few parts ;)

·
Registered
193 Posts
TheBoss said:
Bars leak will fill his radiator - and start another series of visits to the mechanic.

Not sure about WI, but around here once you have spent $XXX on emissions repairs, they allow you to drive exempt - look into it.....or you could use my P.O. Box as your address and register it here in CT. ;)

All kidding aside, there isn't a single thing you are dealing with that one of us hasn't seen - take them one at a time and sort the truck out - you'll be glad you did.
Agreed. I just figured if it came down to selling mine or putting the stop leak in @ that amount of mileage I'd go with the stop leak. I also agree with taking the issues one at a time and sorting them out. Obviously start with the leak and work your way through. Lea is bad, the rest are really just annoyances :thumb:

·
Registered
865 Posts
Has this vehicle been plugged up to diagnostics equipment where real time values can be checked, in other words engine running...

Cheap nasty spark plugs can throw up misfires and some nasty tricks not to mention loss of power.

Engine temp sensor behind AC can also cause over fueling and is often over looked, if this sensor is out of range the engine ECU will pour in more fuel than is required giving it a rich mixture.

The right indy will go out of there way to solve a issue like this...well i do and Im supposed to be dark Africa.. :twisted:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts