RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

One of the reasons I liked the (2000my) RR Vogue was the inbuilt satellite navigation system. Not long after buying it I ended up buying a Mio GPS system. Of course the Mio GPS is way ahead of the RR sat nav. To be fair that's understandable after 7-8 year time span. The Mio, like many others has the full Australian map built in whereas the RR sat nav has data on a cd that covers basically the metro area from 9 years ago.

So I want to remove the sat nav screen and buttons etc and replace it with my Mio GPS. This one http://www.cnet.com.au/mio-c510-339271689.htm

I am assuming that disconnecting the sat nav will not cause any "odd" thing to happen with the RR. I would like some minor advice on connecting the Mio.

Can I connect the audio from the GPS the navigation instructions to the HK sound system? Effectively replacing the existing sat nav voice with my GPS's voice? The Mio GPS has a 3.5mm headphone socket.

Can I connect the sat nav aerial/receiver to the Mio external antenna input and will I gain anything from doing so? Keeping in mind that the GPS's of today have remarkable antenna systems built in.

My intention is to place the Mio GPS mounting bracket where the current sat nav screen is (after removing the screen). This should work well as the GPS is approximately the same size as the LCD screen.

Is there any interest in photos for others to see the process/result?

Thank you...

·
Registered
553 Posts
I have been looking at doing something similar with my garmin problem i have had is trying to find one that fits either half the tray or the entire tray i dont have a land rover gps installed so i would have to cut and make the mounting brackets myself i would be very interested to see how you do your and how it comes out

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Hey Peter,

Im up for pics, thinking about pulling out my pc screen and putting in a 7inch sat nav instead just for ease of use and my pc is getting a bit old now.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi

Ok I'll take some pics. It will be a week or so before I can get to the project so you'll have to wait for a while. In the meantime, you may not have seen this,

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show-off-your-project/52720-project-rr.html

it will either inspire you or make you want to throw up. :)

Check out the rest of the mp3 site. There used to be other RR images with similar work on them.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
out of curiosity are you going to mould in the sat nav? crack the sat nav open and and bog in the internals to a centre console? Or is it a cut a hole and stick it in?

I spent the entire day replacing two fuel pumps, and I gotta say its a bugga to do on the p38. I was thinking about your sat nav ;)

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi
jsp said:
out of curiosity are you going to mould in the sat nav? crack the sat nav open and and bog in the internals to a centre console? Or is it a cut a hole and stick it in?
Probably something in between those options :)

I do not really want to lose the portability of the gps so moulding it in or cracking it open to fit to the RR is not an option. Initially, as the gps is virtually the same size as the sat nav screen I contemplated the possibility of removing the screen and inserting a piece of material (aluminium/plastic etc) to which I could attach the gps mounting bracket. Well curiosity got the better of me yesterday and I "ripped out" the sat nav.

I have a couple of mobile phone photos, but will take some "proper" photos when I do the install of the gps. One thing I do hate, is when other bits have to be removed to get to the bit you need to remove, but it wasn't too bad.

So after finding out how the sat nav is removed and what remains - a big hole - after its removal, at the moment I anticipate installing the Mio gps recessed into the open space left by the missing sat nav. Because the gps controls are on the side of the gps and the connections are on the bottom of the gps I'll need some room for access. I have not yet decided how far I will recess the gps that's probably a look and see process.

Some of the newer and physically larger i.e. wider gps units would come closer to filling the hole created by the removal of the sat nav. I don't recall what is in that location for P38's that don't have sat nav, but my guess is a "blanking plate" of some description.

to be continued...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts