RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Motor went in my 1990 range rover and the local junkyard has several discos to choose from but only 1 Range of the correct years. None of the trucks have keys or batteries So I wont be able to see what runs and what doesn't. They do have a warranty on used motors but it only applies to exchanges so if the 1 Range motor is junk or I take a look at it and it seems like its trashed I want to know that I will be able to exchange it for another motor out of one of the discoverys. I'm guessing that as long as its a 3.9 I should be able to swap them no problem but I have not been able to find a definite answer on this. Not to mention that it is alot of work just to find out if it runs or not, Id rather just pick the potentially best motor out of the bunch to start. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, By the way if anyone has a running 3.9 they want to sell in the Mass. area for cheap please let me know!

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
Out side of a lot of run on stuff... I would say yes. SEARCH is a wonderful thing.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I swear Ive been searching like crazy, and I haven't come up with a clear answer. I figured Id prob have to change timing cover on some years but I was just wondering if anyone has done a straight swap with any particular year of discovery.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I know you're not looking at this currently, but as long as you're doing a transplant, a diesel is a very interesting option. I remember seeing something about an Isuzu diesel transplant into a classic somewhere along my "travels". Best of luck whichever way you go.

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
181 Posts
Can't say about the Disco's but I would be wary of the RR motor. I bought a used one for my 90 and just to be sure I opened it up and found it to be as worn out as mine. The cams seem to go on them. Maybe it was just bad luck and coincidence for me but I'd give it a good visual before purchase. :geek:

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
201 Posts
vwzach182 said:
Motor went in my 1990 range rover and the local junkyard has several discos to choose from but only 1 Range of the correct years. None of the trucks have keys or batteries So I wont be able to see what runs and what doesn't. They do have a warranty on used motors but it only applies to exchanges so if the 1 Range motor is junk or I take a look at it and it seems like its trashed I want to know that I will be able to exchange it for another motor out of one of the discoverys. I'm guessing that as long as its a 3.9 I should be able to swap them no problem but I have not been able to find a definite answer on this. Not to mention that it is alot of work just to find out if it runs or not, Id rather just pick the potentially best motor out of the bunch to start. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, By the way if anyone has a running 3.9 they want to sell in the Mass. area for cheap please let me know!

Seems like you can use the 4.0 bottom end but will need your front cover and a cam with the gear for the oil pump. Plenty of reputable people here in the states parting trucks on a regular basis that have engines, I picked up a 4.2 and transmission for 1200.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts