RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all I am new to this I was doing a repair on my deceased fathers 2002 Range Rover p38 4.6 Getting it road ready because I would like to start driving it back and forth to my office well I was replacing the front wiper assembly and motor and came across two disconnected ground wires I believe they are ground wires I don’t know can some help me as to where these go? If you look at the picture they are right around the washer assembly arm. In the middle of the bottom of the windscreen.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,423 Posts
+1
heated winscreen wires. Earth connections.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you that’s what I figured. I am going to attempt to run new grounds does anyone know the part number, or how long they need to be or maybe know of a video where someone is running these grounds during a new installation? I have never done this with any kind of windscreen before so anything would help

·
Registered
214 Posts
Does your car have the heated screen option, (with heated seats?) It's the windscreen icon on the top left of the HEVAC panel.

Probably it's a blank, not a button.

That means the car was never fitted with the heated screen. But the ground wires were fitted, probably on every car.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it absolutely has the heated seats and the heated windshield. I just need to reconnect this.

·
Super Moderator
2,194 Posts
But it's already connected? You need to find the other wire that needs power connecting.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What’s already connected? Both grounds are not connected the left side looks connected but it’s not..let’s say I wanted to run new grounds for a 2002 p38 heated windscreen how do I do that that’s what I’m trying to figure out

·
Super Moderator
2,194 Posts
One end goes to ground, as it is, the other end goes to the bottom edge of the windscreen, as it is. You've got one dangling ground wire which will have broken off the screen and you won't be able to fix that back, it's broken, end of. There should also be a pair of wires coming off the screen that connect to power but if they aren't dangling either then the only fix is a replacement screen.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So if those grounds break off the heated windscreen is useless is what I’m gathering? Because both are not connected to the windscreen the left side looks it but it’s not I just placed it there they were both dangling

·
Super Moderator
2,194 Posts
So if those grounds break off the heated windscreen is useless is what I’m gathering?
Yup. Once the wires break off the screen your only option is a new screen.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nonsense they simply broke from being frail just like the radiator nipple and lines coming from it everything on this car seems to get very frail and break the instant you touch them. How I wish this car had no meaning to me. Would anyone happen to know where I could purchase or the part name/number for the 2 metal pieces inside the glove box lid I’m missing one I don’t get a perfect close I have a gap on the left side. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
2,194 Posts
But why would you ever touch them. They are fragile as it is a wire attached to the ends of some extremely thin heater wires that are inside the glass. Once the screen is fitted and the plenum put back nobody can touch them.

If you mean the U shaped striker in the glovebox lid, part number is AWR2818, AWR2818 | Striker - Glove Compartment Do - Land Rover Part AWR2818

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you can change your wiper transmission and get the 32mm bolt off without touching it at all more power to you but I my friend simply Could not

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,215 Posts
Good luck if you can reconnect that wire to the screen! As RichardG says, it connects into the windscreen itself, and the heater elements are sandwiched between a couple of layers of laminated glass - so unless there is a stub sticking out of the windscreen that you can re-solder the end of that wire to, then that half of the windscreen heating won't work again without replacing the screen.

The Positive connectors are at the outer edges of the windscreen in white circular connectors. Each half of the screen has one, and then the grounds are connected together at that centre point. So at best, you should be able to have half of the screen working. If you can post a close-up picture of the bottom of the screen, it might be possible to tell if there's enough metal there to re-solder that wire too. If it's broken clean off at the glass line, then it's unlikely. It needs to be a decent connection too, as the heater elements draw a LOT of power (hence why it's split into halves aswell!) Each half of the screen is fed off it's own 30A fuse.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
But why would you ever touch them. They are fragile as it is a wire attached to the ends of some extremely thin heater wires that are inside the glass. Once the screen is fitted and the plenum put back nobody can touch them.

If you mean the U shaped striker in the glovebox lid, part number is AWR2818, AWR2818 | Striker - Glove Compartment Do - Land Rover Part AWR2818
Hey by any chance would you happen to know the part number or name for the two screws that hold the striker piece in place

·
Super Moderator
2,194 Posts
SE104164 - They are just M4 x 16mm pan head screws.

Online parts catalogue is here Lrcat (all models up to 2015) then you can look them up yourself.....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts