RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am finishing up measurements and gettin ready to place my oder for rebuild parts. However I have been heartily unlucky in finding camshaft specs. I have foundrun out and float specs, but haven't been able to locate lobe or bearing surface specs... Anyone have a source?

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:think: I've given that site a really good beating and am not finding any spec for measuring our cams. I'm sure I missed a click somewhere, do you have a direct link?

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
Unless its a tired wheelbarrow I'd look elsewhere for info or parts.Google John Eales - no idea what you will find,but I'd rather trust his opinion for performance stuff.

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I never said anything about wanting performance stuff. In fact I rather detest the idea. I simply want the spec for our cam shafts so I can measure it to see if it should be replaced. Other rigs I have rebuilt have had cam lobe specs for measuring.

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
Just replace it with a Genuine camshaft anyway. I doubt you'll find any specs based on the original. :clap:

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rich998a said:
Just replace it with a Genuine camshaft anyway. I doubt you'll find any specs based on the original. :clap:
At only $150 that's kinda what I have been thinking. I just like checking everything out first before a rebuild.

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
Sorry,should have read your post more carefully,wine is taking over again.Any cam in a Rover with more than 80k is shot in terms of reuse.A new genuine one and a set of oem lifters is all you need really.Checking preload on the lifters is good practice - I have a 3.9 in at the moment from a well known UK rebuilder,broke most of its valve springs because of head/deck refacing.....

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
allyv8 said:
...broke most of its valve springs because of head/deck refacing.....
:shock: That hurts just reading about it!

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,427 Posts
allyv8 said:
Checking preload on the lifters is good practice - I have a 3.9 in at the moment from a well known UK rebuilder,broke most of its valve springs because of head/deck refacing.....
I have found that a few LR mechanics don't check preload. I had discussions about this wiuth a local bloke who didn't think it was necessary. When my new engine was built up, the builders DID check and fitted shims (I assume under the rocker shaft pedestals - my heads had been refaced a couple of times and the block was refaced when the top hat liners were fitted.

When a friend in another city had his engine rebuilt, the mechanic there wasn't going to do it until it was insisted upon

·
Registered
229 Posts
rrtoadhall said:
I never said anything about wanting performance stuff. In fact I rather detest the idea. I simply want the spec for our cam shafts so I can measure it to see if it should be replaced. Other rigs I have rebuilt have had cam lobe specs for measuring.
I think I remember reading on another thread that your engine was a higher performance one than standard. If this is the case you may already have a non standard camshaft.

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
nipper said:
rrtoadhall said:
I think I remember reading on another thread that your engine was a higher performance one than standard. If this is the case you may already have a non standard camshaft.
That is exactly why I want to measure and make sure what is in it before ordering parts. My engine is a 9.6:1 instead of a 9.35:1 engine. I am assuming this was done via skim or rod change at SV. If I have a high lift cam and replace with a standard cam I would be in for a real disappointment when I get her back together. :?

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have just measured a standard 4.6 camshaft which is 1.346"or 34.19mm on both inlet and exhaust cams. Hope this helps.

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
nipper said:
I have just measured a standard 4.6 camshaft which is 1.346"or 34.19mm on both inlet and exhaust cams. Hope this helps.
Killer info!! I'll take a look tonight or tomorrow and see what I have.

Thanks again!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts