RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi Do-It-Yourself,

I need a Picture or Video or a very good description of the Location of the "CamShaft Position Sensor "LR014372" on a 2016 Sport SC. Is the sensor on top or bottom or inside the engine? From the YouTube videos so far, I suspect it is at the bottom, but I'm not sure, because the trucks on YouTube are old models. Remember, there's a huge protective steel plate at the bottom of the engine.
I have an Engine Light that just came up. When I check with my OBDII Scanner (A regular one. I am Still searching for the best OBDII scanner for Land Rovers....Either an (IID Tool or an iLand Diagnostic Tool.) The scanner tells me that I have an error with the CamShaft sensor.

The car starts beautifully, but it feels as if you're driving over small bumps or soft potholes in the street. It feels as if you filled up the car with bad gas. It drives and hesitates for a fraction of a second, likes a car that is losing power for a nano-second. I am sure it probably will get worse in time.

I will do the replacement myself. I only need a picture or a video or a very good description of where it is located.

Thank you,

·
Premium Member
1,321 Posts

2016 Land Rover Range Rover Sport 5.0L Eng VIN E Supercharged Dynamic

Print Date: 1/30/2019​

CMP Sensor,Engine

Best Test Location:
At the 3 pin connector of the camshaft position sensor.

Component Location:
The camshaft position sensors are mounted to the front timing covers.

·
Premium Member
1,321 Posts
View attachment 270112 View attachment 270114
click on attachments above

Installation

• CAUTION:
    • Make sure that the mating faces are clean and free of foreign material.
    • Make sure that the sensor tip is clean and free of foreign material.

NOTE: Lubricate the O-ring seal with clean engine oil.

·
Premium Member
1,321 Posts

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you guys for all your help.

The problem was a bad O-ring in the oil filter cap. The oil leaked all over in the streets when I am driving, not to mention the inside of the car. (I need a super duper Engine cleaning with a pressure washer.)
Since there was no oil pressure, the code happened.

I cannot understand why the car never sent a “Low Oil” or “No Oil” signal or warning of some sort. I am afraid the same thing might happen to the transmission. I could have damaged the Engine.

I bought the sensor for $175 + Shipping and Taxes. I can't return it because Electroinic or Electric parts can't be returned.

I just received my IIDTool BT. How do I read the fluids level in this car with this diagnostic tool?

Is there a regular way to read the Transmision fluid level without a diagnostic tool?

·
Registered
174 Posts
What you probably encountered was a fault in the cam position driver, which requires oil pressure to operate. Though the engine was not low enough on oil to damage anything, it is possible for the cam position to fail to properly change due to low oil pressure. I suspect that you got lucky. You may have noticed that I do not recommend purchasing expensive parts unless they test faulty. Did repairing the oil leak clear the code? Head up everyone. Anyone needing help with testing a component, of any type, please ask. I am a certified ASE Master tech with L1 certs. Ray

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIV / L405
618 Posts
Be careful with that pressure washer. I fried two ECUs in my L322 washing coolant out of the engine bay after blowing a hose. You should be able to monitor the oil level from inside the vehicle. This is accessed through the service menu. I am not aware of any way to check the trans fluids other than using a tool.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had a new Oil Change done before it was due. Obviously, with New Oil Filter with New O-ring and problem solved.

I had to buy the sensor because two different diagnostics told me that was the problem

1 - 10 of 10 Posts