RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

My 2005 L322 Supercharged is a non-starter. ECU is showing P0340 and P0345 which indicate an issue with the Camshaft Position Sensor. Some of the reading I've done around this suggest the fix may not be as simple as replacing the faulty sensor(s). Does anyone have any experience of the cause of this and/or any advice as to a resolution. I'm not averse to changing the sensors anyway as they're relatively inexpensive but want to make sure I'm not ignoring a more serious issue. I haven't noticed anything particularly wrong the lead up to this problem.

Many Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thanks kg74. It’s actually Jaguar Engine in my SC. Your suggestion around simultaneous failure is sensible as it was out of the blue. The only thing I can think of is that a few months ago I replaced the alternator which may have caused a timing issue. That said I would have thought some warning signs might have shown before. I’ll see if I can find any info on the ignition system for my engine model and check the fuses.

·
Administrator
27,801 Posts
Thanks kg74. It’s actually Jaguar Engine in my SC.
Correct the 4.2SC was introduced in 2005 in the EU market, Just as the M62 first gen was introduced in 2002 in the EU market.

Thus the reason we like locations in profiles. :thumb:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the link to the workshop manual. Interestingly it lists failure symptoms for the CMP as:

- Ignition timing reverting to the base mapping, with no cylinder correction
- Active knock control is disabled, along with its diagnostic (Safe ignition map - loss of performance)
- Quick cam/crank synchronisation on start disabled

It does not list failure to start/turnover.

Which leads me to suspect something else. The 'Symptom Chart' lists the following for 'Engine does not crank':

- Security System/Immobiliser engaged
- ECM Relay
- Battery
- Starting System
- Harness
- Engine Seized

The battery is fully charged (with a new alternator) and the starter motor is new so I'm tempted to check/change relays/fuses for the starting system and ECM. Fingers crossed that might do the trick. I think anything beyond that might be pushing my limited DIY skills!

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
346 Posts
Any updates? Does your engine turn over and not start or does it not even turn over?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No it doesn’t turn over at all. All fuses checked out ok. Starter Relay also appears ok. I’m not sure where the Main Relay is though. Is it in the ECU compartment or elsewhere?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I haven't specifically checked but I don't think so. The Starter Solenoid makes an audible click when it engages and I would have thought I would be able to hear this on turning the key to the start position. I can't.hear anything when I turn the key. My assumption might be wrong so will eliminate that when I get back to it.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
346 Posts
Sounds like you have a power issue to the starter. Start at battery and move forward. If you find nothing check your ground straps. If you had a seized engine I would assume the fuse would blow. Sounds like a dead battery or loose/corroded wire.

If you are bold - run jumpers straight to the starter.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all your help. Thankfully I think I’ve solved the problem!

You were right, it was a faulty ground cable. After a bit of research I was able to find a good video on YouTube that took you through diagnosis steps when you have a No Crank fault.

https://youtu.be/oo1SRIFIkhs

Basically all I needed were:

- Test lamp
- Jump Cable

Procedure is:

- Connect test lamp to battery negative post
- While the probe end is touching a metal part of the engine try to start the car.
- If your lamp lights up you have a bad ground.
- To confirm take a jump cable and connect to a metal part of the engine and the other end to the negative battery post. Car should start.

Upon inspection of the ground strap the body end had quite a bit of green corrosion on it. This was cleaned with an abrasive pad. I also found that the engine connection would not go back on tight. Possibly a questionable thread. After a lot a swearing and a purchase of an emergency replacement bolt (slightly longer but didn’t seem to matter) I was able to finally get it to tighten properly.

Car starts unaided and I’m relieved!

I think it’s wise I purchase a replacement ground strap in case the corrosion is right down into the wire as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts