RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks first time posting here love the site and the community, we all need to stick together and share i believe in the long run it helps us all get better service with less headaches.

With that said i just picked up my 2019 rrs dynamic after nearly waiting four months and notice that all the camera views are very dark which is not normal because i have a 3 month old 19my f pace and the front and rear cameras are crystal clear but the side ones are very poor and grainy. I mention this because i have been trying to track many of the irregularities between each vehicle with the same parts or features and it is all over the board. I recently was given a 2019 e pace as a loaner and first noticed the camera issues the front and rear camera was horrible just like my two side view cameras. this led my to believe that either they are using different cameras (which I doubt) or there is a problem with quality throughout.

So when I saw that my new rrs cameras where very dark with no way to adjust them this really ticked me off because i know when i bring it in the response I will get is "That's Normal" . So I was hoping to get some folks input on the quality and experiences on there vehicles.

Oh also as another note i noticed that front and rear cameras also pick up more of the bumper than i would like it cuts off the top of the image, in normal mode not wide angle. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIV / L405
602 Posts
Bill,

Are the camera lenses in the correct position? Are they slightly recessed? That could explain your observations. There is a post somewhere here about an SVR whose front camera was pushed inward.

Steve

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes that is the first thing i checked in tight and straight. It could be a software glitch as if the incorrect voltage is being supplied or just a bad cameras. That's why i was hoping to get some feedback from owners to see if they are happy with the brightness and clarity of the cameras hoping to get a feel for just how common this was.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Well i have ‘19 and my backup camera image quality is quite poor. Image resolution is one of the worst I’ve seen. I figured that is just the way it is. I also have the stutter issue. Where there is a delay in the image being shown and reality. Makes backing up to something close a scary situation. I will bring the issue up when I bring my Rover in for service.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oneway is the delay you speak of on all cameras kinda like when you are watching a movie and the voice is out of sync with the video? Because i am getting that in a bad way i almost backed up into my other car because the video was showing further than i really was. i almost have to inch then wait to judge distance. I was also able to see it when i used the side camera and waved my hand under the side mirror it would not show up instantly it was like a second delay.

I would love to hear some input from other folks about there experiences especially if it everything is normal on there vehicles.

Oh and btw how is your stitching of your overhead view 360 image is it clean or distorted? Because i cant even use mine to pull up to a curb or line up close in a parking spot.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
127 Posts
Oh and btw how is your stitching of your overhead view 360 image is it clean or distorted? Because i cant even use mine to pull up to a curb or line up close in a parking spot.
As we both posted in the other thread, the front area of the 360 image is horizontally "squished" so you cannot judge the car's left/right alignment with that area. But the rest of the image, i.e., the left/right/behind, is fairly accurate so you can do things like left/right align as you drive into a parking space and between it's two lines. Just don't look at the front area... :-(

Other RRS owners report the same behavior so it's not a quality control issue that varies between RRS instances, but a design flaw. Oh well -- First World problem. Overall, while the camera is not as good as other manufacturers or even other Land Rover models it still helps and solves most of our parking challenges. I haven't noticed the delay you reported and will have to look for that when we get our car back (our SVR is in the shop again, for the same steering wheel noise they fixed once before).

·
Registered
87 Posts
Oneway is the delay you speak of on all cameras kinda like when you are watching a movie and the voice is out of sync with the video? Because i am getting that in a bad way i almost backed up into my other car because the video was showing further than i really was. i almost have to inch then wait to judge distance. I was also able to see it when i used the side camera and waved my hand under the side mirror it would not show up instantly it was like a second delay.

I would love to hear some input from other folks about there experiences especially if it everything is normal on there vehicles.

Unfortunately I don’t have the overhead cameras. As far as the reverse stutter, yes that’s exactly what I’m talking about.

I’ve almost reversed into a few vehicles and objects do to the delay. I’ve learned to just reverse slow and stop a few times to make sure the image I’m seeing is “live”.

When I take my vehicle in to fix the annoying display rattle this will also be on my list.

Rick

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah, this should not be like that. If you take it in before i do let me know what comes of it and i will do the same.

·
Registered
14 Posts
'19 td6 here, same issue. Day 2 of ownership I backed into a traffic sign because of the lag on the image. Resolution is very very poor all the time.

Had a '17 and the camera was fine.

·
Registered
61 Posts
My dealer recently replaced my front and rear cameras, along with a new rear camera mount, and I am still experiencing the same stutter and overhead distortion. They agreed that the distortion is there and made every attempt to resolve it, but after opening a case file with Land Rover, the shop foreman ultimately came to the unfortunate conclusion that the use of a fish-eye lens near the bottom of the front bumper is a design flaw. According to them, the 360 view is functioning "to the limits of the system."

What really surprised me is how Land Rover could pass this through testing when the design is so clearly flawed. I believe that a higher mount of the front camera would've resolved the issue. The front view by itself works fine, but when the computer tries to stitch multiple images together with the front coming from a low-mounted fish-eye, it can't accurately represent what's in front of the car.

Maybe there's a fix that will eventually come out if enough people complain, but I won't hold my breath.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My dealer recently replaced my front and rear cameras, along with a new rear camera mount, and I am still experiencing the same stutter and overhead distortion. They agreed that the distortion is there and made every attempt to resolve it, but after opening a case file with Land Rover, the shop foreman ultimately came to the unfortunate conclusion that the use of a fish-eye lens near the bottom of the front bumper is a design flaw. According to them, the 360 view is functioning "to the limits of the system."

What really surprised me is how Land Rover could pass this through testing when the design is so clearly flawed. I believe that a higher mount of the front camera would've resolved the issue. The front view by itself works fine, but when the computer tries to stitch multiple images together with the front coming from a low-mounted fish-eye, it can't accurately represent what's in front of the car.

Maybe there's a fix that will eventually come out if enough people complain, but I won't hold my breath.
Check your drivers side camera while sitting in the car wave your hand under the camera and see if it is delayed on the screen.

By the way do you have any other delay issues in performance like the delayed acceleration from a rolling stop or when turning corners or pulling out of a parking lot?

I bet you do have a delay on the side camera and maybe some other delay issues. My thinking is that it has to due with the communication lines to the ecu or between modules. I happen to have that bad delayed acceleration and it appears as if even my lane keep assist is sluggish it is slow to react when going over lines, not so much an alignment thing but a delay reaction.

Unfortunately i think i am going to have to diagnose this myself because they are very quick to say its normal.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Check your drivers side camera while sitting in the car wave your hand under the camera and see if it is delayed on the screen.

By the way do you have any other delay issues in performance like the delayed acceleration from a rolling stop or when turning corners or pulling out of a parking lot?

I bet you do have a delay on the side camera and maybe some other delay issues. My thinking is that it has to due with the communication lines to the ecu or between modules. I happen to have that bad delayed acceleration and it appears as if even my lane keep assist is sluggish it is slow to react when going over lines, not so much an alignment thing but a delay reaction.

Unfortunately i think i am going to have to diagnose this myself because they are very quick to say its normal.
I’ll have to try waving my hand to see. As far as performance delay are you just referring to throttle response? I’ve experienced some of that myself but it feels a bit like gear hesitation. Definitely noticeable but hasn’t really bothered me relative to other issues. This is still much improved over turbocharged cars I’ve driven in the past.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
here is my thinking about performance delays.. Just like the throttle response, not just talking about the delay that is built into the throttle from a dead stop(stopped for at least ten seconds). this is normal very slight less a second. But rather when coming to a stop for one second and then press on the pedal..the delay is much longer more like 2 secs before anything happens. definitely seems like a communications delay, seems like the signal that is registered by the gas pedal is talking a long to to merge at the ecu along with other info from components like throttle position maf sensors and any others that the ecu requires before powering the engine and selecting proper transmission mode. If you think of what the cameras are doing its kinda like a old slow processor trying to keep up with data.

I believe that one or more of the modules are causing a delay, could also and more likely be a bad communication wire. Because all current modules should have the same software versions and seeing that it does not happen on all vehicles only a few here and there it is more likely a wiring/connection issue.

So if you notice anything on your vehicle that is behaving sluggish make note of it and post it here so we can try and narrow it down.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Has anyone else gotten any resolution (heh) on this from LR?

The delay on the camera on my '19 is bad enough to make it totally unsafe/unreliable to use.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Has anyone else gotten any resolution (heh) on this from LR?

The delay on the camera on my '19 is bad enough to make it totally unsafe/unreliable to use.
I had my Rover in for service to look at this and a few other issues. Unfortunately, none of my issues got resolved. As far as the camera delay, they said it's operating with-in specs. I agree the delay is enough to make it unsafe when pulling into a tight space. It's not surprising to read someone has backed into something.

Let me know if you get anywhere.

·
Registered
2019 Range Rover Sport SCV8 ATB (L494)
181 Posts
I had my Rover in for service to look at this and a few other issues. Unfortunately, none of my issues got resolved. As far as the camera delay, they said it's operating with-in specs. I agree the delay is enough to make it unsafe when pulling into a tight space. It's not surprising to read someone has backed into something.

Let me know if you get anywhere.
I'm still driving my 2015 Audi A8 4.0T while I wait for my RRS order to be built. My A8 has a delay in the camera as well. I tend to go by the parking sensor beeps and the top-view camera for placement in the parking space vs. the rear-view camera when backing up. Just saying that the RRS isn't the only car where there can be a delay in the camera.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well i have ‘19 and my backup camera image quality is quite poor. Image resolution is one of the worst I’ve seen. I figured that is just the way it is. I also have the stutter issue. Where there is a delay in the image being shown and reality. Makes backing up to something close a scary situation. I will bring the issue up when I bring my Rover in for service.
I also have a 19' SVR and I've already let myself know that I will one day reverse into something. The delay and quality is so bad, it's sad. We have a 2011 Land Rover LR4 (purchased it new) and the camera on that thing is live to the millisecond. Very surprised on how the 19' cameras slipped through testing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The delay is the worst thing. By the time you see an obstacle on the screen you’ve already hit it in reality!

·
Registered
134 Posts
With 19B, the delay is around 0.3 secs (you can measure that with the brake lights against a wall), but there are no more "jumps" like in older versions. I find the system, while being far from perfect, pretty usable. It was the judder that made it utterly useless.

·
Registered
104 Posts
don't have problems with my cameras I think, I did noticed the image sometimes very dark I was going to look for resolution, glad to know we don't have those settings , MY20

1 - 20 of 21 Posts