RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, any of you used a Esky cam in the 4.6 HSE Rangie (from a Buick I belive), if so which one was it as I cant get a new 4.6 cam here, buggered if I know why cos there's loads of P38s here in SA

Barring in mind that there are different cams for the 4.0L and the 4.6L, standard cam profile is best for the P38s

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
Can you aquire a quality mild performance cam in SA? Are you saying the Dealerships don't have Genuine Part cams available?

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rich998a said:
Can you aquire a quality mild performance cam in SA? Are you saying the Dealerships don't have Genuine Part cams available?
Lets put it this way, here we steer far from stealers as prices are like madness compared to the rest of the world.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Plenty of cams here even for Buick engines but not 100% if campatable, ie: distrubutor driven etc...
Can get Eskaderian cams, not sure if they're any good though as everyone state side seems to go Crowe cams....

·
Registered
217 Posts
Why not purchase one over the net at one of the many reputable parts sources on line? If you don't have a credit card you can always send a money order. I know what you mean about the stealerships, here in Calgary we only have one and they take the price I find on the net and multiply it by 4. Nothing but thieves if you ask me, it's almost like they don't want our business. I don't mind waiting a couple of days for delivery time to save hundreds, if not thousands of $'s. I say screw em, they're not getting my business unless the part I need is being sold at the same price I can get it for on the web, good luck. Big-T. :snooty:

·
Registered
53 Posts
viperover,
I was using oil on my 98 4.6 and now have the motor out at a local independent L/R workshop.We are trying to source rings but the prices are crazy.While the motor is out we might replace the camshaft and bearings and timing gear.If u come right with sourcing a cam at reasonable price please PM me.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
fakawe said:
viperover,
I was using oil on my 98 4.6 and now have the motor out at a local independent L/R workshop.We are trying to source rings but the prices are crazy.While the motor is out we might replace the camshaft and bearings and timing gear.If u come right with sourcing a cam at reasonable price please PM me.
For rings have you tried Dover parts in JHB (Not sure if they stock for the 4.6) or another comapny called 'Cords' regret I
dont have there numbers.

I will be seeing Phillip and ask if he knows a good supplier for rings and get back to you, I will also be taliking to Doc Van to
hear what and witch cams to use as I have a feeling the Buick cam will work as supplied by RS performance in JHB, was
quoted around R2700 for cam and its a eskaderian (esky) wich Im lead to believe is top quality from the USA.
As far as lifters is concerned best go with standard as supplied by Britpart which are Im told Delphi lifters

And do make sure that NEW head bolts are fitted as they are stretch bolts, must be replaced must must must must old ones
DO stretch
Will get back to you end of the week, right now its madness
wonder why your motor was a oil burner, very odd
Only thing I can think of is cheap oil being used by who ever serviced/maintained your rangie, very common problem and
see alot of this sort of practice, ie cheap junk oil branded by spares shops, you dont want to know what they put in to make
it cheap but will hint at a common 40% resin mix, believe it or not............

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Viper. Just a note to confirm on Esky cams. Sid E... [I can't spell his last name] was doing hot rod stuff for decades in the USA and he [and his parts] were often referred to in the hot rod magazines I read as a youngster. So the cam should be good but of course it would have to be the correct design for the rangie block. I suppose that direct communication would be in order. Good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts