Range Rovers Forum banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2011 RRS 3.0 TDV6 HSE LUXURY
139 Posts
My 2011 RRS TDV6 3.0 makes this noise occasionally. Seems a combination of things since it’s not every time. I’m going to replace my oil pump soon, not that it’s a problem, but it’s time and I don’t want it to be a problem. However, it could be a contributing factor to the length of time of the clattering. Another is where your crank lines up when it stops. If it lines up with an oil port it’ll let the oil drain out so the pump has to refill it which gives you a few clattering moments before it goes quiet. Mine is hit and miss with the sound. Sometimes it clatters for a couple seconds, other times it’s quiet from the get go.

A new oil pump may reduce the time it makes the noise, but it probably won’t cure it 100%.

As a reference I started my car up five times today and didn’t hear the noise. Yesterday I heard it once out of six startups. Other days it’s nearly every time. And we’re talking short stops to sitting all day/night.

Do you let it idle a little before driving and after stopping? I let mine run at least 15 to 30 seconds before driving and after stopping. Gives things a little time to settle down and even out before driving off and gives the engine a little cool off period prior to shutdown.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
The vehicle is at the dealer as it is still under warranty. Dealer is working with Land Rover techs in UK to figure this out.

they are trying to say it’s normal because some others are making the same sound.

The sound only started about 4 weeks ago in mine so I am thinking this a manufacturing flaw affecting a lot of vehicles.

hence, requesting videos from everyone and anyone with similar vehicle.
And in the workshop manual it clearly says that a "Donor Vehicle" you have on the lot making the same sounds and symptoms... isn't an appropriate diagnosis of normalcy/response... Or something to that degree from memory.

In simplicity, the above means: that just because another vehicle in your possession is doing the same [email protected] thing isn't a defense to your worthless diagnosis mr. dealership service department loser!"

:p
That Clack, Clack, Clack upon start up started happened on our Rover 2 weeks before Rod# 5's bearing went totally "Tit-Up" and destroyed the Crank-Shaft, "Egged-Out" the cylinder wall, toasted the Cylinder Ring, and caused the Cylinder head(s) to Bitch-Slap the Valves... End result was a $32K replacement after an $8,500 credit offer to donate the Core Engine back to JLR to be shipped back to Solihull, England. So without the offer of the engine core replacement the repair would have been $40,500+ out of pocket.

Tell that idiot from the service department to pay for that when it happens and see what it's response is/will be! Don't take any crap off of them. Best case they owe you a new engine... worst case trade it in to them now and upgrade. I've explained my experience and situation so many time here I don't mince words anymore nor do I care to. To take it for what it cost you... nothing, :p Costed me a LOT of gray hairs though 2 February's ago though to tell it!

21 - 22 of 22 Posts