RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not an L405 owner yet but considering placing a MY2018 order and leaning toward the TD6. This was the plan at least until I heard about the P400e for MY2019. The P400e seems like a pretty good combination of fuel economy and performance, at the cost of increased weight, complexity, lower towing capacity, no full-size spare and (maybe this is old school but...) a 4 cylinder in a pretty big vehicle - ok, so a lot of cons.

So I'm a bit more on the fence than I was before. For those of you that picked up the diesel, a few questions for you that might help sway me one way or another:

1. Are you happy with your decision to go diesel?
  2. Given the choices of diesel, electric and supercharged, would you buy another TD6?
  3. What was your primary motivating factor when purchasing the TD6? (eg. fuel economy, towing, longevity, price)?
  4. What are you seeing for real world MPG?
  5. How has engine-related maintenance been and how many miles do you have?
What's the community verdict here? Buy the diesel now or wait for MY2019 and take a chance on electric? We plan on keeping this one for at least 7-8 years.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Knowing the history of software issues that these trucks have when new tech is rolled out, I definitely would not get the first year’s model of the hybrid Rover. I’ve had 3 L405’s and also find the electric one to be appealing but I’ve had so many software bugs and issues with each Rover (especially the first year 2013 I had when the L405 was brand new), that I would get the second year one, or get the TD6 or be prepared to be in the dealer getting software updates frequently. I wish these had OTA software updates like Tesla does, that would make it less of a hassle to deal with over time.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Not an L405 owner yet but considering placing a MY2018 order and leaning toward the TD6. This was the plan at least until I heard about the P400e for MY2019. The P400e seems like a pretty good combination of fuel economy and performance, at the cost of increased weight, complexity, lower towing capacity, no full-size spare and (maybe this is old school but...) a 4 cylinder in a pretty big vehicle - ok, so a lot of cons.

So I'm a bit more on the fence than I was before. For those of you that picked up the diesel, a few questions for you that might help sway me one way or another:

1. Are you happy with your decision to go diesel?
  2. Given the choices of diesel, electric and supercharged, would you buy another TD6?
  3. What was your primary motivating factor when purchasing the TD6? (eg. fuel economy, towing, longevity, price)?
  4. What are you seeing for real world MPG?
  5. How has engine-related maintenance been and how many miles do you have?
What's the community verdict here? Buy the diesel now or wait for MY2019 and take a chance on electric? We plan on keeping this one for at least 7-8 years.
We are currently on our second L405 TD6 (2016 and now a 2017) and have a 2018 coming in less than 2 months to replace the 2017.

SO here I go

1. Yes, this vehicle is my wife's car and it packs plenty of power (tons of torque) and it moves the vehicle. Obviously the V8 Supercharged is a beast and on another level but unnecessary for my wife. The TD6 is a perfect blend of power and good fuel economy.
  2. Yes, well I am buying my third L405 TD6 so yes...however I have to comment, given the questionable electronics and questionable (over the years) reputation of LR. I'm not sure I would mess with their Hybrid for at least a few years but CERTAINLY not the first year.
  3. Mostly fuel economy, not to save money on fuel but its super convenient only having to fill up every 10-12 days. I had a V8 supercharged back in 2011 and she was sothirsty I had to fill up every 3-4 days. Granted, I did drive a lot more back then. Disclaimer: My wife keeps it local for the most part, which is why we can easily go 10 days between fill ups. I'll comment on mileage per tank below.
  4. I've never actually checked to be honest, but on average we see about 750km (465miles) per tank and its mostly city (very minimal highway). If its more highway driving, you can easily see 800-900km (500-550 miles). I've heard of 1000km (600 miles) but I cant imagine that unless you're literally driving 45-50mph on the highway. Our 2016 had some issues, nothing major, more just inconveniences and small stuff that we weren't happy with for a vehicle of this price. Our 2016 was sold with 26,000km (16,000 miles) and our 2017 currently has about 15,000km (9000 miles) and has been issue free since delivery in March 2017. The only thing I've had to do is fill up the DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid)every so often. No big deal!
  5. Our 2016 had some issues, nothing major, more just inconveniences and small stuff that we weren't happy with for a vehicle of this price. Our 2016 was sold with 26,000km (16,000 miles) and our 2017 currently has about 15,000km (9000 miles) and has been issue free since delivery in March 2017. The only thing I've had to do is fill up the DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid) every so often. No big deal!

Good luck with whatever you decide, can never go wrong with a Range Rover (especially the full size)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would never own a gas range rover. Europe agrees. 90% diesel. Rest of world, 50%. Nothing to do with money or fuel savings $. Everything to do with not living at the gas pump, which is a pain. Love the range offered by diesel. The torque is buttery smooth also. Better engines in terms of build quality and longevity. I honestly don't get the appeal of a super powerful v8 gas engine in a 5000lb boat. No offense intended. But buy a sports car/muscle car - Porsche, AMG, etc. for that application. This is an SUV

·
FOUNDER
638 Posts
I am not a TD6 owner so probably should not post here but I have driven and ridden in a few. I really like the TD6 and probably would have gotten one if they were a bit more depreciated when I was in the market. It is just as smooth and quiet as the gas/petrol versions. As mentioned above the advantage is not so much the fuel cost savings per se (reduced anyhow by the more expensive diesel in the USA) but the increased range including on off road expeditions. I was a bit bummed that LR decided to reduce fuel tank size on the diesel, partly cancelling out that advantage, but there still is one. The TD6 has great low speed torque and is perfect for towing and off road work as well as on, with "adequate" power and perhaps fewer gear changes, which is nice. I did find it ran out of steam a little bit at higher speeds, but we are not supposed to go there anyhow!

The one negative I would mention is the still-unsolved mystery of crankshaft failures in prior versions of the engine -- of course not officially acknowledged. So far not seeming to be a significant problem on the latest version but mileage is still low on most here in the USA. Pity the 4.4 V8 diesel is not available in North America, but I do think the TD6 is making inroads and hope it will help make diesels more popular. Of course it will probably be just in time for everything to be replaced by hybrids and electrics, but in terms of the true electrics, until they make one that can really compete with fossil fuel vehicles (ie do 400 miles and be refueled in less than 5 minutes) it is not really practical for me except for commuting which is not what I buy Range Rovers for...

Cheers

John

·
Registered
33 Posts
Having recently purchased a 2017 RR diesel about six weeks ago to be exact the diesel was the way to go for us. On trips of 300 miles we average 31.2 mpg in town about 27.4. This one was a demo with 5900 miles now has 9500 miles. The range of the diesel low end torque and my wife likes diesel. Cruises very well at 75mph

the usual electrical issues have already shown up but having owned a LR4, RR Sport and RR Evoke somewhat used to this. The hood showing open when actually closed is current gremlin

Just my two cents worth

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great feedback, thanks folks. To summarize what I'm hearing:

1. Hybrid aside, there's enough electrical issues and complexity going on here. Consider the electric as a future second purchase after some of the initial launch issues are worked out.
2. Lots of torque, good mileage, long time between visiting the pumps.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think that there are two reasons to buy a RR with this technology, first if you do a lot of in town driving you will see a range improvement as the electric motors will be used to make the stop start more efficient. Second it gets you closer to a "greener" footprint. Just like companies are using turbo technology, adding electric motors and batteries allows them to create a "better" experience, you can improve acceleration and create additional efficiencies.

On just straight diesel - I have 45k on a 2016 TD6 HSE now, never had an issue, I still haven't changed my brakes (if you can even believe that), I have refilled with DEF half a dozen times or so. The interior and exterior look brand new (no rattles, nothing lose), this is a very solid built vehicle and way better than earlier generations. I chose diesel for range and it is fantastic, over those 45k miles I have an average MPG of 27. I have a 2018 on order basically same spec, the reason I am swapping is I do that on mileage... Take into account that I have towed heavy multi axle trailers regularly, I have taken it off road as often as I got the opportunity.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I have 25,000 miles on my 2016 TD6. I've been very happy with it, had no diesel-related issues, get about 19 MPG combined, I've gotten 29 MPG on several 500 mile+ trips going 80 MPH average. I've had Range Rovers with the supercharged V8, naturally aspirated V8, and now the diesel, and I prefer the diesel. I think it fits the the full size Range Rover the best.

my only regret is diesel was the cheaper than regular fuel when I bought it, and now thanks to California's new gas taxes, diesel is now more expensive than Premium here.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
10 Posts
Happy recent owners of a leftover 2016 TD6. 84k purchase price.

travelled to Wisconsin from Maryland to get it. Like the diesel very much and will buy another. This is wife's main vehicle, I drive an 04 Westminster that is an absolute pig on fuel

TD6 gets avg 27 mpg for the 4,000 miles we have put on it.

Chose a diesel because the leftovers were too attractive from a price point to ignore. (Now that we have it we will likely become diesel people)

Plenty of power particularly in the low end. My Westminster is snappy-fast but the TD6 is more than adequate.

vehicle now has 8,800 miles and I type this in the waiting room of the local dealer. Just declined the $720.00 initial service. I'll wait the 15,000 miles and do the work myself.

The remote app app does not yet work. While the 16 hasn't a remote start option you are able to see vehicle location lock unlock and open windows etc. no solution yet, ain't technology grand???

i also notice a diesel smell driving highway miles. Just a bit, I'm a super smeller, wife doesn't notice it......

self parking, lane departure, adaptive cruise control. This stuff is very cool.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts