RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
2013 & 2016 L405's
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2013 was the only year of the NA V8 in the L405 so I thought I would start a thread for owners to share their experience with it. The 2013 NA V8 is becoming rare and somewhat hard to find. Before I found mine, I was committed to finding a CPO SC V8. However, I ended up test driving a 2013 NA V8 at my local dealer and I was impressed with it. Not only did it have more than enough power, the vehicle seemed to be well cared for and had only a little over 43k miles on it. I sat down with the salesman and told him that I was initially looking for a CPO SC V8 but I would settle for the NA V8 if I could get it for the right price. The salesman asked me what would be the right price...I then offered $45k out the door. He then went and discussed it with his sales manager and returned to me in less than 20 minutes. I was shocked when he held out his hand and said "We have a deal"...I ended up paying $40,800 plus tax, title, license and fees. I think I was out of there in less than an hour. The NA V8 has been great so far and now that our gas prices are starting to rise, it was probably best that I didn't get the SC V8. I have test driven the SC V8 and it's a blast to drive but I'm sure that my driving habits would get me horrible gas mileage.

This is a list of things that I've done to my 2013 L405 so far...

1. Tint front windows
2. 22" Marcellino Wimbley wheels on Pirelli Scorpion Verde tires
3. Black Exterior Trim Package
4. Black Range Rover lettering
5. Stainless foot pedals
6. Facelift 2018+ style grill
7. 3D MAXpider Kagu floor liners
8. Disc Italia Drilled & Slotted Brake rotors with Hyper Ceramic brake pads
9. New Interstate Battery

Now after the upgrades/mods, I feel like my 2013 is just as nice as some of the newer model L405's...other than the tech upgrades that the newer models have.

Attachments

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIV / L405
11 Posts
I was also looking for an SC V8 (RR Sport actually) before "settling" on mine because it was a good deal. I love the NA V8 in this car, but kinda wish I went for the SC because my average fuel economy in the last 4,000 miles is 16.6. This includes a lot of highway driving, but I live downtown.

I bought black 21" OEM RR SC wheels (powdercoated satin black) and a 16-piece black pack for it the day it arrived. I just need black letters and new headlights (as you know) because I absolutely love the signature DRLs.

IMG_8337.JPG IMG_8498.jpg

·
Premium Member
2013 & 2016 L405's
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
swax, I don't know what the gas prices in Wisconsin are right now but it's currently $4.49 per gallon for premium here in Southern Cali. So far, my NA V8 seems to be getting an average of about 15-16mpg on mostly city driving but I've noticed that fuel economy increases to like 18-20mpg on the highway. With my driving habits, I'm almost sure that if I had the SC V8 then my average would be more like 12-13mpg for mostly city driving.

·
Premium Member
2013 & 2016 L405's
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Come on guys...I know there has to be more 2013 NA V8 L405 owners on this forum. However, I did a search on Autotrader for the 2013 NA V8 L405 and there seems to be only about 10 available within a 500 mile radius of me. I wonder how many were sold here in the US...

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
49 Posts
Please keep us posted on your NA V8 mpg on highway cruise. I read it's around 23.

I can't seem to find the 0-60 number for NA V8... but I'm guess around 5.6 secs (a second slower than SC).

Was in Beverly Hills last Friday and saw $5.19 regular unleaded!

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
I can't seem to find the 0-60 number for NA V8... but I'm guess around 5.6 secs (a second slower than SC).

It was 5.9s vs the Supercharged's 5.1s. It is anything but slow.
As far as that gas price is concerned: whoa. Premium is $3.09 here.

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
Come on guys...I know there has to be more 2013 NA V8 L405 owners on this forum. However, I did a search on Autotrader for the 2013 NA V8 L405 and there seems to be only about 10 available within a 500 mile radius of me. I wonder how many were sold here in the US...
Probably not very many. That was the model year when the wait times were 8-9 months, due to the brand new body style, hungry Chinese market and many grey exporters here (straw men buying cars for Chinese and Russian rich folks to cash in on the 1:2.5 price difference between the US market vs theirs). Dealers were in heaven for a while, because they could ask for $10-$15k over MSRP without a single car to test on the lot.

Those were the days.

·
Premium Member
2013 & 2016 L405's
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Please keep us posted on your NA V8 mpg on highway cruise. I read it's around 23.

I haven't had a chance to do much highway driving but I plan on doing a 500 mile road trip to northern Cali sometime this summer so I will be sure to keep watch on the highway mpg. My 2010 L322 NA V8 averaged about 18mpg on that same road trip last year so I hope that my L405 does a little better due to the weight loss...23mpg would be awesome!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a 2013, bought it new (I had a 2008 L320 before - also super solid). I have 40k miles on the 2013 (I have ~750k air miles in the same period...) - except for a couple of minor things, its been solid. I’m about to do the grill/gill upgrade because i think its funny. I fully intend to keep it until around 80k miles.

As for fuel economy, its much better than my other car - a ‘63 Lincoln...

·
Premium Member
2013 & 2016 L405's
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a 2013, bought it new (I had a 2008 L320 before - also super solid). I have 40k miles on the 2013 (I have ~750k air miles in the same period...) - except for a couple of minor things, its been solid. I’m about to do the grill/gill upgrade because i think its funny. I fully intend to keep it until around 80k miles.

As for fuel economy, its much better than my other car - a ‘63 Lincoln...
40k miles is pretty low for a 2013. You should be able to get around $45k for it if you decided to sell it now. Prices on the 2013's are holding strong since I purchased mine back in January this year. I still randomly check AutoTrader to see what the 2013's are selling for and there are not many low mileage NA V8's available anymore.

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
I was at my dealer today and asked one of the technicians (the guy I prefer to work on my cars because he's good and he's nice) about his reliability experience with the MK 405 vs the 322. Funny he said he wished they'd kept the NA V8. He says he just worked on one that had over 150k miles and the everything was in perfect condition.

·
Premium Member
2013 & 2016 L405's
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was at my dealer today and asked one of the technicians (the guy I prefer to work on my cars because he's good and he's nice) about his reliability experience with the MK 405 vs the 322. Funny he said he wished they'd kept the NA V8. He says he just worked on one that had over 150k miles and the everything was in perfect condition.
It's good to know that there are some high mileage NA V8's out there still going strong. I normally don't ever keep vehicles past 80k miles but I might reconsider that with my L405.

·
Registered
655 Posts
My 2013 hse 5.0 NA still going strong after 88k miles. I just did my first oil change myself. I got pretty dirty but it was fun.

·
Premium Member
2013 & 2016 L405's
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My 2013 hse 5.0 NA still going strong after 88k miles. I just did my first oil change myself. I got pretty dirty but it was fun.
That's awesome! How long do you plan on keeping your L405? The NA V8 in the L405 has really grown on me. I thought I might regret not getting the SC V8 but the NA V8 seems to be a good match for the L405.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIV / L405
616 Posts
Love yourself and use a Mityvac next time. I swear that you can change the oil in a tux.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Love yourself and use a Mityvac next time. I swear that you can change the oil in a tux.
Using a hand pump from the little tube sticking out of the oil cap took forever and tired my arms out. Plus the oil cap was a beeeeyatch with a smooth oil filter wrench. Next time the mityvac, and a wrench with teeth for the next one.

I did the air air filters today. The screws argued with me.

I plan to keep my 2013 for a long time. I want to get a 2nd 2013 or 2014 in Aintree green if business picks up. And only in the NA 5.0 V8. The supercharged and v6 motors have worse gas mileage.

·
Premium Member
2013 & 2016 L405's
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I plan to keep my 2013 for a long time. I want to get a 2nd 2013 or 2014 in Aintree green if business picks up. And only in the NA 5.0 V8. The supercharged and v6 motors have worse gas mileage.
It's funny you mention getting a 2nd L405...when I first got mine a few months ago, my wife drove it to drop our kid off at school one morning and after she came home, she suggested the we trade/sell her BMW 6-series gran coupe for another L405...haha! The crazy thing about that is she LOVES the BMW 6-series gran coupe and I love it as well...but it's just something special about the L405 Range Rover! However, the BMW 6-series gran coupe is special in it's own way so I told her that we should at least keep it until the CPO warranty runs out in June 2020.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Very cool. Enjoy your BMW!

·
Premium Member
2013 & 2016 L405's
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's funny you mention getting a 2nd L405...when I first got mine a few months ago, my wife drove it to drop our kid off at school one morning and after she came home, she suggested the we trade/sell her BMW 6-series gran coupe for another L405...haha! The crazy thing about that is she LOVES the BMW 6-series gran coupe and I love it as well...but it's just something special about the L405 Range Rover! However, the BMW 6-series gran coupe is special in it's own way so I told her that we should at least keep it until the CPO warranty runs out in June 2020.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Using a hand pump from the little tube sticking out of the oil cap took forever and tired my arms out. Plus the oil cap was a beeeeyatch with a smooth oil filter wrench. Next time the mityvac, and a wrench with teeth for the next one.

I did the air air filters today. The screws argued with me.

Regarding the oil filter cap, (and everything else) it's all about the correct tools.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts