RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the new ride in for issues with the throttle position sensor and now that is straight. Issue now is a leak of coolant from the intake gasket. I did not realise that the Callaway had a different gasket, but they do. It has a part number of LRN7306CAL and is completely missing from the Earth. Callaway says all excessive parts were transfered to Land Rover and LR says they do not have any.

The service bullentin says "DO NOT USE any other inlet manifold gasket.". "The inlet manifold gasket used on the Callaway 4.6 liter V8 has been matched to the intake manifold flange geometry." Also says I have to use a special inlet manifold gasket front valley clamp.

Any thoughts on what can be done. The leak is not bad, but should get worse.

So much for buying a special model.

Thanks.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,725 Posts
With no other option available I don;t see where you have a choice but to go with a standard intake/valley gasket. Seriously, it is not going to make that big of a deal on your performance.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts
Valley gasket?
If so, then I would imagine that the only difference is that the ports have been matched is all.
Easy enough to get a normal valley gasket and open the ports out to match the intake ports on the heads IMO. Either a scalpel or Dremel should work nicely.
I have had to port match gaskets in the past where the heads were "cleaned up" quite a bit.

Martin

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks RRToadHall and leftlanetruckin. The service bullentin says that the Inlet Manifold is different and that I cannot just change out the manifold and use a standard gasket. So I will probably see if I can go the route of making a standard gasket work. I will go by the LR dealership tomorrow and speak to the mechanic. I am guessing he will not want to do something against the literature. I will probably have to try myself.

I could try to through my Porsche air cooled engine in there then I would not have to worry about anti-freeze coolant. :dance:

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,725 Posts
Why not do it yourself? It's a very easy day job. All that is different with the Calloway intake it that it was been ported/matched... i.e.; cleaned up. THe gasket most likely has slightly larger holes from intake to heads to ensure maximum air flow.

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
like another recent callaway thread this part no reflects the actual LR part number ERR7306 (now LKJ500020) if they are such different parts i would have thought they would be complete different part no's too, as RRtoadhall/Martin said i could only imagine it has some port matching (did callaway do this for sure? i think i need to read that p38 book), just overlay the two and i guess it will soon become clear if its feasible or what needs to be done to make it so.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the more input. The gasket does have a different part number. Here are the numbers:

Cylinder heads - LRN4323CAL
Inlet manifold gasket - LRN7306CAL
Front Valley Gasket Clamp - LRN7282CAL
Inlet Manifold - LRN4886CAL

The concern I have is that it reads "the inlet manifold has been machined to match the cylinder head flange surfaces and intake port geometry".

"the inlet manifold gasket has been matched to the inlet manifold flange geometry."

Does this give any insight into how big the difference would be?

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
"completely different part no's"

as opposed to just a callaway modification to a standard LR part :thumb:

i doubt the difference could be that great and you only really have the LR gasket option unless you can find the callaway part.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts
The concern I have is that it reads "the inlet manifold has been machined to match the cylinder head flange surfaces and intake port geometry".

"the inlet manifold gasket has been matched to the inlet manifold flange geometry."
Like I said, port matched is all that equates to. Get a stock valley gasket and lay it over the original Callaway one. If you want to be picky, and why not do it for the time it takes, make the new one the same as the old one via a scalpel or Dremel tool.

Martin

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
239 Posts
So any update on what happened with this Callaway? My own is in need of a head gasket job, and if someone has been-there-done-that with their own I'd appreciate the insight.

Thanks!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The leak is not bad enough yet for me to try, but the inlet manifold gasket is not going to be available. I even went through Land Rover NA and no dice. They suggested using a gasket for the standard model. I think it will need to be modified though. I did find where the PO had replaced the gasket before with a standard gasket. Hopefully not the reason for the leak.

I wish you luck on the head gasket. My understanding is that the heads cannot be resurfaced so if they are warped, not sure what you would do. The service bulletin says to replace the heads in this case, oh sorry, they will not be available and if they were they would cost the amount of a house in the Hamptons.

Keep us updated.

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
perhaps they've already been machined to the limit i guess to increase com. ratio, it's not the end of the world i'm guessing existing heads would fit just fine. It would be great to see any photo's of what port matching has been done if any of you guy's get the chance while an engine is apart.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
239 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts