RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my 2006 RRSC cat's changed. The muffler guy told me the CARB legal cat's were not available even a few months ago but are now. I know when I looking into it a few months ago it was a dealer only item and super expensive. Anyway. Walker makes a universal cat that is CARB (California) legal for this engine code.
Looks like Walker D-182-69 is the part number.. has a CARB number stamped on it so should be good to go.

Now if I can get the P2099 code figured out I can smog this thing!

Hope this helps some California people that need cats.

Bill

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bill,

Any luck with the P2099? I have the same issue with my 06 RRSC and am uncertain of the best way forward. I'm hoping it's just an issue with the downstream o2 sensor, but before I go throwing a MAF/o2 sensor at it, I figured I'd see if you have had any luck. Cheers.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited by Moderator)
Cleared my codes 3-4 times and it stopped coming on! Got her smogged and then developed a coolant leak that I'll investigate tomorrow.

Just for general info, the smog guy asked about the new cats, took the CARB # I gave him from the box and plugged it in the computer and it passed.. so, there are CARB legal cats as an option.. what a huge cost savings.

Good luck sck12, let me know if it was the back O2 sensors, that was my next move.

Bill

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
The concept behind post cat O2s is to verify the primary O2s are properly monitoring and reporting to the ECU so fueling does not get rich. 2099 is code for the post cat O2 on bank2 is reading too rich. If you swap your rear O2 sensors and the code remains on bank 2 then you have a fueling issue. If the error code follows over to bank 1 with "P2097" then the sensor is most likely shot.

2096 is too lean on bank 1 and 2098 is too lean bank 2.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The concept behind post cat O2s is to verify the primary O2s are properly monitoring and reporting to the ECU so fueling does not get rich. 2099 is code for the post cat O2 on bank2 is reading too rich. If you swap your rear O2 sensors and the code remains on bank 2 then you have a fueling issue. If the error code follows over to bank 1 with "P2097" then the sensor is most likely shot.

2096 is too lean on bank 1 and 2098 is too lean bank 2.
Thank you for the response. I was actually switching left to right to see if the code followed. Bought a 02 socket and stripped the sensor a bit and figured I'd have my mechanic take it off and switch them before I stripped it too much, however, the code didn't come back so I left it alone.
If it does come back I'll give the swap a try. Thanks!

·
Registered
174 Posts
For the record, everyone, the downstream O2 sensors are intended to monitor the convertor's ability to store O2. Before the convertors light, the O2 sensors should all agree with each other, as a self check. Once the convertors light, the downstream O2 sensors monitor the convertors O2 content. The convertors require O2 to control HC and CO by adding the O2 top them, creating CO2 and H20. The downstream sensors simply make sure the O2 is there for the conversion. Ray

1 - 6 of 6 Posts