RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bypassing seat heaters.

Have looked at the tutorials on the main site and I'm going to bypass whichever of my heater elements is broken (doesn't work on either seat). Question is: is there a thermal cut off switch on the seat back elements, or only on the base elements.

I'll pull the seats apart and fix it completely in a month or two.

Thanks

Tutorial: http://www.rangerovers.net/repairdetail ... tml#bypass

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
The thermal bypass is bottom only. If the bypass doesn't work then most likely both top and bottom elements are busted. You have checked for heat circuit power at the seat right?

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rrtoadhall said:
The thermal bypass is bottom only. If the bypass doesn't work then most likely both top and bottom elements are busted. You have checked for heat circuit power at the seat right?
Had previously checked for 12v. Was there.
Will be getting out the multimeter and having a look at resistances and power before I try anything.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got under there with the multimeter.

Both elements on drivers side are broken. Dammit.
Base on passenger side in dead but back element is good.

Red Narva spade terminals (like this but red obviously) work perfectly to bypass the base element. Just have to be taped up to prevent shorting. Would work way better than a paperclip.

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
Word of warning, your passenger may not be as observant as you. I would keep an eye on the amount of time anyone is using the passenger seat heater. Since you are bypassing the bottom of the seat there is no thermal cut off. The element will continue to heat until it burns out or is shut off. This can result in nicely melted padding or even damage to your leather. Just ask anyone that has had a wife with a padded coat using a bypassed back heater. KMag, care to comment? :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
933 Posts
as toad says, be careful otherwise you may do something like this...

-Will :)

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
rrtoadhall said:
Word of warning, your passenger may not be as observant as you. I would keep an eye on the amount of time anyone is using the passenger seat heater. Since you are bypassing the bottom of the seat there is no thermal cut off. The element will continue to heat until it burns out or is shut off. This can result in nicely melted padding or even damage to your leather. Just ask anyone that has had a wife with a padded coat using a bypassed back heater. KMag, care to comment? :mrgreen:
THIS!!!

My wife.... :doh: wearing thick coat.... :doh: In winter with seat heater on backs only.... :doh: = fried, unreplaceable leather. :doh: Where's my drink?

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for that.

I'm going to yank out the bypass (summertime now anyway). Now I know it's working I'm happy. Will fix them up sometime during the summer holidays

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
I'm not how pricey the elements run down in your neck of the woods, but a day on each seat would have things working properly and give you a chance to clean things super well.

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
Jim-00-4.6 said:
That makes me want to remove that writeup.
Nah. We are here to share info, not make decisions for individuals. Just because the site gives details on how to do something, doesn't mean everyone should. If someone can't recognise that their fanny is suffering 2nd degree burns and turn the dang thing off, then they have no business playing with it in the first place.

·
Registered
922 Posts
If someone can't recognise that their fanny is suffering 2nd degree burns and turn the dang thing off...,
hmmm...brings a new perspective to the expression " sitting in the hot seat" :shock:

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
933 Posts
rrtoadhall said:
Jim-00-4.6 said:
That makes me want to remove that writeup.
Nah. We are here to share info, not make decisions for individuals. Just because the site gives details on how to do something, doesn't mean everyone should. If someone can't recognise that their fanny is suffering 2nd degree burns and turn the dang thing off, then they have no business playing with it in the first place.
There is no warning on the main site though that you are bypassing the little thermostat device though. I would at least put a warning up rather than remove the whole write up.

-Will :)

·
Premium Member
1,855 Posts
Both elements (base and back) are broken on my drivers seat and the base element broken on the passenger seat.

I know their is a new design of element for the seat-bases that fits in, without having to remove the 'hog rings', but I can't remember the part number - can anyone remember it? Also, is there a similar replacement element for the seat backs (- part number for that too please)?

thnx

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
paul.adshead said:
Both elements (base and back) are broken on my drivers seat and the base element broken on the passenger seat.
Same as mine then. The worst possible combination.

Agree there should be a warning on the main site if bypassing base element

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
Yeah! There should be a warning! You owe me a hundred and fifty THOUSAND dollas!!!! But I'll settle out of court right now for twenty bucks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts