RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a '92 3.9 with a BW transfer case, hence with a viscous coupling.
My off-road expert mechanic says if I have to do any decent off road I'll need a LT230 transfer case with a proper diff lock, as with the VC the moment I'll have one wheel off the ground I'll be stuck.
I tend not to believe him, as I read posts of people driving around with no front propshaft on their VC equipped RRC, so the VC must do its job somehow: it can't be that open if it allows to drive with one axle disconnected.
What do you think? did everyone who offroads convert their to LT230 or is the BW good enough?
Thanks

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
a BW uses a viscous coupling, basically a limited slip differential. it never fail in the open positon, its default failure mode is to lock both sides equally thus your front end begins to scrub eventually killing your front shaft and or cv joints.
back to the original question. BW case is adequate, I would off road with it and find out its capabilities in order to make my own judgement.
basing info on someone else's experience can be haphazard at best, as this person may off road much more serious than you would. yes an lt230 is a wonderful update, but form a personal perspective if I don't need it I keep my BW.

·
Premium Member
1,480 Posts
As others have mentioned, you'll be fine with the BW, you may even find that you like it better. It all depends on how you want to use it, as 95classic said, try it out first for yourself before you decide you need the locking center diff.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I kept the LT230 from my 1988 with the idea that I would replace the BW in my 1990 ASAP. So far, the urge to replace the BW unit is fading. I love the LT230, but I find the BW more than satisfactory and it seems a lot quieter/smoother driving. I do notice somewhat reduced traction in deep snow, but I just winch myself out if progress is halted. I'll probably wait until the BW unit kicks the bucket before I put the LT230 in at this point.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have both a 1993 Range Rover with BW transfer case and a 1998 Discovery with manual LT230 transfer case. Each has its advantages. I like the LT230 in some cases because when it's locked, it's locked, and you can forget about it. The tradeoff is that you have to stop or slow to lock/unlock it as traction conditions change - not a big deal, but one more thing to pay attention to.

The BW makes it easier when conditions are variable. I have used both vehicles in reasonably challenging off-road terrain and can't say my Range Rover suffers for lack of traction on account of the transfer case. I do prefer driving the Range Rover in snowy conditions because I know the VCU will sort itself out as I transition between snow and dry pavement. When charging up mountain passes in the Cascades I wouldn't want to stop and lock/unlock the LT230 on my Disco as the road surface changes.

I suggest you keep the BW, drive it, and if you find that its performance limits your driving then you can replace it with a rebuilt LT230.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts