RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I get a buzzing sound when on the highway or around 40-50+ mph. The sound is coming from the passenger side near the front of the windshield.

Not sure what it is...the engine runs strong and I have a coil spring setup and the air compressor is disconnected...

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,491 Posts
medcapequip said:
Guys, I get a buzzing sound when on the highway or around 40-50+ mph. The sound is coming from the passenger side near the front of the windshield.

Not sure what it is...the engine runs strong and I have a coil spring setup and the air compressor is disconnected...
Easy :p it's your upper windshied finisher.
Replaced mine 2 days ago after 1 year trying different sealant and even tape

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hello try getting your hands on some of the pond adhesive comes in a tube and theres some that can be used in water over here in the uk its called gold label pond aquarium sealer so if you can`t get it completely dry it still works also it comes in black so blends in well I`ve used it in all sorts of situations as I have a Koi pond and it sticks like sh-t to a blanket (as the old saying goes :lol: )

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,491 Posts
bigbluebessie said:
Hello try getting your hands on some of the pond adhesive comes in a tube and theres some that can be used in water over here in the uk its called gold label pond aquarium sealer so if you can`t get it completely dry it still works also it comes in black so blends in well I`ve used it in all sorts of situations as I have a Koi pond and it sticks like sh-t to a blanket (as the old saying goes :lol: )
Nice find. Used windshield glue without success :|
It's a bit tricky to make a 1,20 meter cord of glue under a windshield lip finisher.

In my case, i could have saved 50 euros detaching the old finisher and apply double side tape on the lip of it.

Anyway, read the Rave well to figure out how to detach and attach the clips with the credit card method 8-|=

·
Registered
541 Posts
Good tip on the pond adhesive. I think I need some for the wife's koi pond come this spring anyway.

My upper finisher flew off the other day. Just so happened I had the windshield replaced the day before. Guess who's replacing that? Not me. Still waiting for the glass company to bring the new one, maybe I'll ask him to really glue that sucker down.

They did manage to break a few of my clips for the lower finisher around the wipers. Apparently they didn't know how they work. Thankfully I had a few laying around and was able to tighten it back up.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,491 Posts
Chris X said:
Good tip on the pond adhesive. I think I need some for the wife's koi pond come this spring anyway.

My upper finisher flew off the other day. Just so happened I had the windshield replaced the day before. Guess who's replacing that? Not me. Still waiting for the glass company to bring the new one, maybe I'll ask him to really glue that sucker down.

They did manage to break a few of my clips for the lower finisher around the wipers. Apparently they didn't know how they work. Thankfully I had a few laying around and was able to tighten it back up.
Chris,

If they install it the way it should be done, there's no need to glue it. It's tighten with clips.

There's some adhesive on the lip.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Thanks 996. Yep I can see the clips, no glue other than some black adhesive for the windshield. I still think I'd like perhaps a dab of silicone caulking on the clips just to help, even though they shouldn't need to do it as a matter of proper installation.

I'm obviously nervous because they used just the clips last time and it flew off. We were only going about 30mph too. Unfortunately we couldn't find the part in all the snow - we have about 40" of snow here right now. Still waiting on the finisher from the dealer/windshield company. I think it's more a matter of me not really trusting them to put it on correctly than faulty clips or parts!

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,491 Posts
Chris X said:
Thanks 996. Yep I can see the clips, no glue other than some black adhesive for the windshield. I still think I'd like perhaps a dab of silicone caulking on the clips just to help, even though they shouldn't need to do it as a matter of proper installation.

I'm obviously nervous because they used just the clips last time and it flew off. We were only going about 30mph too. Unfortunately we couldn't find the part in all the snow - we have about 40" of snow here right now. Still waiting on the finisher from the dealer/windshield company. I think it's more a matter of me not really trusting them to put it on correctly than faulty clips or parts!
Ok i see the problem.
There's 2 steps :

1. clip
2. slide the tab with the credit card.

Let me tell you that it the guy do it this way, the thing will never fly

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have had good luck with electrical tape, lasted two years on top, had to remove to when replacing the air phelum, tape does not stick as well when applied in the cold

btw, new clips didnt work for me, I the windshield ists higher after being replaced causing the molding to bend out of shape

·
Registered
541 Posts
Good feedback from both you guys, thanks. I'll tell him about the credit card trick for the clips. From what I can tell this is at least the 3rd windshield on this Rangie, so it might be higher or lower than stock.

Oh and to the original poster - sorry for hijacking this thread even though it is mostly on topic! :wink:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi we only got our p38 last december and the day before we picked it up the previous owner paid a landrover dealership £ 96.00 to have a new top finisher installed I e-mailed him the day after I got it to let him know it was already coming away and he told me it was the 3rd one he`d had fitted,by the way I didn`t want him to fix it I just thought he might like to take it up with the dealership.
It shows you in the workshop manual how to use the credit card trick I think, the dealership must have miss read it for the previous owner as they just used his credit card to rob him :naughty:

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
13 Posts
mine has been buzzing on & off for a couple of years. yesterday afternoon after reading this thread, i ran a fine bead of automotive goop along the bottom edge of the top finisher, let it dry overnight & voila!!---no more buzzing!!! `)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts