RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a noob.

Looking to buy a 96 RR with 146,000 miles. Owner says "D" to drive does not work. Only way to engage is to start and move with first, second,...then to "D" while in motion. Once in "D" the car drives normally. Is this something easily fixed?

Joe

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you.

So, it needs a tranny rebuild. Can anyone give a rough cost for a tranny rebuild in New York. If price is reasonable then maybe I can still buy this used RR cheaply.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
nobrake said:
http://www.roverlandparts.com/range-rover-transmissions-complete.aspx

They have a rebuild tranny for 1150.00. Is this a good option instead of rebuild?
IMHO, yes.

Martin

·
Registered
896 Posts
I agree with Martin, $1100 is a good price, but you have to add another $200 or so for shipping. That is assuming you remove and install it yourself or have a shop do it. Some independent tranny places can do all the work for you, but be sure they are familiar with the foreign cars. This is the same tranny used in the BMWs for most of the 90's and I think Jaguar as well.

A few years back, I had to replace a 4HP22 on my BMW 535i and it was $1200 for just the rebuild (I did my own remove/install). Some places wanted $3k to pull and rebuild the tranny! I expect the Rover prices to be similarly inflated.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all

I will talk to the owner and if the price is right I will pick it up.

However; I will only buy the RR if I can do the work myself. How hard is it to pull and replace the tranny?
I consider myself pretty handy. As long as there is a good manual book then I can do the work.

Is there any chance someone wrote up a how-to on the tranny?

·
Registered
5 Posts
i too have a used one, 140,000 miles, $300 plus shipping, i am in FL (34747)

the one i have is from a 4.6, i think it bolts right up, but you would have to double check.

G

·
0 Posts
nobrake said:
Thanks all

I will talk to the owner and if the price is right I will pick it up.

However; I will only buy the RR if I can do the work myself. How hard is it to pull and replace the tranny?
I consider myself pretty handy. As long as there is a good manual book then I can do the work.

Is there any chance someone wrote up a how-to on the tranny?
Get the RAVE manual

1 - 10 of 10 Posts