RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, newbie here.

I am considering purchasing an '08 RR HSE this week with 130k miles on it. From doing my fair share of reading on these I know the dangers that this comes with in terms of frequent and expensive my repairs.

However, from what I've read I've noticed that the key to ownership of these vehicles is lifelong care and maintenance BEFORE anything goes wrong. Speaking to the current owner it does seem like he's good care of the car so far. According to him, as well as the carfax, he's replaced front air springs, cat converters, EGR valve, front control arms and put on a new windscreen. He also has thad the oil changed at least twice a year. Without knowing if his word is any good, he does claim there's never been a breakdown or any serious problems.

In terms of my own driving habits, I only plan to put about 5000 miles on the car each year as I won't need to drive it daily and usually short distances at that.
Assuming I can afford put aside $1000 a year as a rainy day repair fund, is this something I should go for?

Thanks in advance for any advice,
Henry

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,191 Posts
Like anything, its going to be a crap shoot with an 11 year old vehicle. the previous owner could have taken the best care of it and a day after you buy it the transmission could fall out of it. That said I bought my 06 4.5 years ago with 113K on it, with little more info than a car fax report, showing 4 previous owners, and half a dozen warrantee replacements for mostly electronic devices early in its life. After that just some sporatic inspections and repairs at independent shop. It presently has 199K on it and up until last week it had never left me on the side of the road, and when it did it was my fault (I didn't get an electrical connector all the way back together when I replaced a fuel pump and filter. I do try to keep up with repairs and replacements before they become an issue. If you can't do the work yourself, these things will drain you dry over time just because shops charge so much to even look at them and tell you what they think is wrong with them. If it's a good deal, you can do your own work and the truck seems to be in good condition then theres no reason not to pick it up if that's what you really want, just go in with open eyes. Keep in mind, short trips on a car are the toughest miles, long trips are much easier on a vehicle, as everything gets up to temp, lubricated and it drives the moisture out of the oils and lubricants. A vehicle sitting around not being used will die a quick death especially if its not in a garage. I put almost 20K a year on mine and that's with 2 other cars in the household.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts