RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have done a Ton of research and of course as you know, LR Reliability is all over the place and opinions vary.
I am a huge car guy, I know a lot ( I am a Land Cruiser owner and lover) But I appreciate LR and wish they had the reputation that the Land Cruisers do in reliability.

Dilemma: I am moving to a small town in WY and my girlfriend wants to purchase a 2015/2016 Range Rover Sport V8 - is it a bad decision to buy one when the closest dealer is 4 hours away?

Thanks,
Krice

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
not the best idea though you might get lucky - but these things typically remain trouble-free due to more than average care. if that's something someone can professionally do, then the dealer distance isn't such a big deal.
proper, regular maintenance is key.

my friend had over 100k miles in his full size. he did all the dealer-recommended maintenance on time. they caught a supercharger problem early and fixed it for $45 instead of a late diagnosis and $2500 repair bill. this is the kind of stuff that TLC can save you from & what I think gives this brand a bad name. it doesn't matter who takes care of the car, dealer or another skilled person, but somebody must or the cost will be high.

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
besides, what you're looking at seems to be still under factory warranty - a dealer would be nice for that.

·
Premium Member
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
910 Posts
Once you get a bad reputation is is nearly impossible to overcome it. Especially in the automobile world. People will always remember, "hey do you remember that time when that auto manufacturer had lemons on their lot?" Or some other issue that people just remember. It is true in a lot of industries also. BlackBerry's suck but I never used one and would never use anything BlackBerry except for of course the hidden automobile operating systems or the OS that powers the elevator that I use everyday.

That being said everyone has different experiences. My (2) D90's were awesome. Never anything major except for the air conditioning on my second one wasn't as good as the first but my first one was probably one of the best since at 90 degrees with the top off the A/C felt good. My 110 is over 30 years old so that doesn't count. My 2011 RRS never let me down outside road damage to tires and I had it for 6 years and over 100k miles. Regular maintenance that a local mechanic is capable of doing should be all that is needed to keep it reliable for you. 4 hours isn't that bad when you think about the guy in Flin Flon which is probably well over 8 hours away from the dealer.

As for Toyota's reliability they have had their fair share of issues but people have that feeling that their corolla back in the 80's was the best car I ever had and Toyota can do no wrong.

Also I read an article a few years ago that explained why some automobiles have a better or worse reputation from others. It depends a lot of what type of owners that brand has. If an owner thinks it is better to complain and nitpick every little thing those items get fixed under warranty. Other types of owners might ignore stupid little things and drive the vehicle into the ground, not do proper maintenance and when the vehicle falls apart it is because the manufacturer made a crappy product.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I live 15 minutes away from my Land Rover service dealership. I did quite a bit of research before buying mine and even bought new because I did not want to take on anyone else's lack of maintenance or issues. While doing my research, i kept seeing, reading and hearing the newer ones are better and more reliable. With that said, there is absolutely no way in hell I would buy a new or used range rover living 4 hours away. If you decide to buy one, get a second vehicle to go along with it or keep your Toyota as a spare vehicle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for the responses. To be clear I will still have my Land Cruiser. This will be for my Girlfriends DD.
I think part of Land Rover (and luxury car) ownership is that you have to go into it knowing it will be more expensive to maintain as it is a more expensive / complicated car.

The issue I am having is seeing if there is a qualified LR mecanic in our new town. BMW dealer is only an hour away but she wont budge off the Rover.....

·
Registered
27 Posts
I owned a 99 Disco and moved from Colorado to Montana a year or so after the initial purchase. I was able to get the small stuff taken care of, but once I had to deal with warranty issues, it started to become a big problem. After the one trip back to Denver to get the warranty work completed, I ended up selling the vehicle. Even though I was away from Land Rover for almost 20 years, I never had a bad taste in my mouth for the vehicle or the product. My location and my love for the Disco just didn't correlate at the time! Fast forward and I'm now back in a green RRS and couldn't be happier. The dealership is 5 minutes from work and life is good!

·
Premium Member
910 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. I think we are going to go with a GX460 until we live near a dealer. We need something that can just do oil changes, gas and brakes for 2 years. I am not confident that a RRS can do that. I would not be afraid to buy a RR if we lived near a dealer. Not worth the headache to have a shade tree mechanic looking at such a complicated and beautiful machine

1 - 9 of 9 Posts