RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I am going to be trading in my LR3 tomorrow on 1 or 2 available RRS S/C at the local dealer. Was wondering 1) what kind of deal I should look for since we are still negotiating and 2) if I should be more worried about quality/reliability on the 2006. My trade-in LR3 is a 2008 SE with factory rear seat entertainment, cold climate package, 3rd row seat, and bi-xenon package.

That said here are the 2 vehicles:

First one is a Vesuvius Orange 2006 RRS Supercharged. Original Service date was 8/8/2005. Vehicle has 40,000 miles on it, bluetooth, sirius, and RSE (all available options as far as I know). Dealer is going to throw in a 1-year, 12,000 mile warranty as part of the LR Certified Used programs since the car is 5 years old and is no longer on factory warranty. I have the complete service records available, and it's been serviced about 8 times with new brakes and rotors installed about 4 months ago, nothing major ever done in terms of repairs. I was told I could get this one for $2,000-$3,000 with my trade, which would price it right around $35k-36k. Seems like a great deal to me and I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Orange color. However, I have been reading that RRS S/C produced in 2005 had a lot of problems and are complete trash when it comes to reliability. Can anyone verify if that is true? Again, for the 4 years this car was under warranty, no repair work was ever done outside of normal servicing and it drove great.

Second car is a Black 2007 RRS Supercharged. Original service date was 12/20/2006. It has 30,100 miles on it. Does NOT have RSE like the first, and I have 2 children under 4 and that's the best thing about my LR3. I know they can just watch their ipods, but it's so nice having it right there on the screen for them. Since this vehicle expires warranty in 6 months, dealer is going to extend warranty to 50k miles/unlimited time (which will be about 1.5 years with my driving habits). Again, all major service done, new tires put on a few months ago, but never new brakes and never any repairs outside of normal service. Was told I could get this one for about $5k-$6k with my trade which puts it at $38k-$39k. Doesn't seem like it's as good of a deal as the 2006, but it is a year newer I guess.

However again I have been told to stay away from 2006 at all costs. Did something change between 06-07? I would prefer to buy the orange 06 with RSE, but am I making a mistake by buying an 06? I do not want an unreliable car that's always in need of repairs. How about the deals I'm getting? They seem like fair prices (this will be my 2nd LR from this dealer) but I think I could maybe do a little better?

Looking to pull the trigger tomorrow on one of these cars, thanks in advance for any insight into 06 reliability vs 07, and general thoughts on what the better car is to buy!

Also anyone know what extended warranties usually run for these? with either car I will need one as I want it covered to about 100k.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Re: Buying RRS S/C tomorrow, need help deciding which one to get

I'd go with the newer car unless you think you'll look at it everyday and wish you had the different color. The RSE is easily solved with 2 ipads, bigger screens, more portable, and your kids will love them more. Did you check the DOT complaint website for consumer complaints, as well as Edmunds consumer reviews?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
543 Posts
Re: Buying RRS S/C tomorrow, need help deciding which one to get

Wali.

The trade-in value of your current '08 LR3 @ about USD$27000 as a wholesale price & my personal recommendations on this forum is the best are 2008 built RRS !
I would hang onto your current ride and look for an MY2008 model which should be more plentiful and available with trucks coming off Three year leases next year.

Option 1: Vesuvius RRS S/C is figured by the "retailer" at USD$36000, which sounds like a great deal from your offer, but I'd avoid these with 20 foot barge poles.

Option 2: Santorini RRS S/C is figured by the "retailer' at USD$39000, which is a much better colour at re-selling time, and as you can imagine it's a Deal-No Deal ?

Cheerio,


Vinniman
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.
 

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
Joined
·
5,175 Posts
Re: Buying RRS S/C tomorrow, need help deciding which one to get

To confuse you even further...

Not sure what the non-factory warranty includes but if its roughly the same, I'd get whichever one you like better and it sounds like you really like the Vesuvius...

These cars are either born evil or not, and since the 2006 seems trouble free it should be Ok repairwise. There have been isolated reports of the orange paint having some peeling issues on this forum in the past (you can do a search and form your own conclusions), so I would check that carefully, and its likely that if there are no problems w the paint on that car after 4 years, none will show up now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Buying RRS S/C tomorrow, need help deciding which one to get

Thanks everyone, it's a tough decision for me. I know the 07 is the smarter buy, but I'm passionate about the Orange color. But basically doesn't seem like the 07 was and better than the 06 in terms of overall quality, and that since both cars are certified preowned LR's and come with warranty I should be fine either way. Did something change in 08 to make them better? I have loved my 2008 LR3 quality, never ever a single problem or issue.
 

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
Joined
·
5,175 Posts
Re: Buying RRS S/C tomorrow, need help deciding which one to get

walb0034 said:
Did something change in 08 to make them better? I have loved my 2008 LR3 quality, never ever a single problem or issue.
Its just that mfgrs had more time to figure out and fix things that are wrong with earlier years. By that reasoning '09's should be even better, but they did not come with a free scheduled maintenance plan like the '08's.

But that is more of a consideration when buying new. Buying used, you have the advantage of someone else rolling the dice for you. There are '08 lemons as well.
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Re: Buying RRS S/C tomorrow, need help deciding which one to get

Wow, that is really cheap! The 07 RRSS KBB value is around $46k in excellent condition. You would be getting a hell of a deal imo! Those are closer to HSE prices, not supercharged!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Re: Buying RRS S/C tomorrow, need help deciding which one to get

So which one did you get? :thumb:

-TJ
 

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
Joined
·
670 Posts
Re: Buying RRS S/C tomorrow, need help deciding which one to get

Yeah, which one? Saw a Vesuvius yesterday and thought of you.
Either way, at those prices you're in good shape. But I still hope you got the Vesu.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Buying RRS S/C tomorrow, need help deciding which one to get

Dealership started playing games with me when I went to close the deal. When I made the post I had met with the salesman, we went over what I needed to get for my trade ($33k) and what I was going to pay for the RRSSC ($36k). He told me that my prices were accurate and that it shouldn't be a problem, I just needed to decide which car I wanted to move forward with. I emailed him that morning letting him know I had decided on the Vesuvius, and went in that afternoon to lock it up with paperwork. He shot me an email before I made it to the dealership letting me know he pre-owned manager had gone over the deal and could only offer $28k for my trade and was firm on the $39k for the Vesuvius.

So $2-$3k turned into $11k. Laughable trade. I guess maybe I showed that I was really excited about the car the day before and they thought they could get me for more now that they knew I really wanted it?

This is what I would expect from a Hyundai dealership, not what I expected from the Land Rover dealership I have bought new cars from in the past. At that point I completely walked away, didn't even waste my time with a counter.

So I looked up the sales rep who sold me my LR3 (he works in another dealership now about 60 miles away, but part of the same system) emailed him and cc'd his manager, and explained exactly what happened at the first dealership, how I was treated, and that I would still move forward with him instead if he could arrange the deal I was looking for. He got back to me right away and said he'd go over all the numbers and do his best, so I'm just waiting to hear from him at this point.

So... I did decide on the Vesuvius, but I'm sad to report that I'm not driving it.... yet :)
 

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
Joined
·
670 Posts
Re: Buying RRS S/C tomorrow, need help deciding which one to get

Man, sorry to hear that but to be honest, 33K trade for an LR3 is not very realistic, i don't even think you could sell it yourself on auto trader for that and 39k for a Vesuvious edition S/C is not awful, they are pretty rare.
Pick your battle, they might come down to where the difference is 6k instead of 11k but the 3k deal is non existent, the salesman did what he knows how to do best, talk out of his arse.
Super bummed for you but, who knows maybe it was a blessing in disguise.
Best wishes and if your flexing with the other dealer works post on the outcome.

Rafa
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
543 Posts
Re: Buying RRS S/C tomorrow, need help deciding which one to get

Wali.

Told you so ! Like I said, your ride is worth about US$27000 at the moment which is what the salesman replied to you accordingly & PM off-line if you need help ?

One just has to be brutal when 'wheeler dealing' and "focus Daniel San-focus". The change over to the Orange Roughy Erupting RRS S/c should be USD$9000 large.

Cheerio,


Vinniman
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: Buying RRS S/C tomorrow, need help deciding which one to get

Thanks guys, that's EXACTLY the information I was hoping to get. I'll put together a more attractive offer for them and see what we can do. It wasn't really about the $11k at all, it was about the dealer saying $3k should be fine, and then coming back with $11k. I'm in sales, and I appreciate when people are honest up front with me. I'll see if they want to entertain $6k as a starting point and see what happens from there.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top