RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

So after looking at RRS's for awhile, I think the regular RR will serve as a much better transition from my much loved xj8. Now I am looking at 2006+ only. My question is should I go with one thats 50-60k miles and had an accident or two, or get one with higher miles say ~70k and no accidents? I see alot around this mileage and wasn't sure if they were just being dumped off because of reliability issues or if these trucks last past 100k without serious issues?

Thanks

·
Registered
431 Posts
Wow, lot's of variables to consider.

1. You get what you pay for. If a minor accident, then I think you'd be OK. More than that though, I'd be scared to death of accident-induced gremlins. Not that these trucks are fragile, but they are known for finicky electrical systems.

2. If it is in an accident, I'd want a BIG discount from comparable clean vehicles.

We're it me, I'd buy the best, accident-free one I could afford.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, lot's of variables to consider.

1. You get what you pay for. If a minor accident, then I think you'd be OK. More than that though, I'd be scared to death of accident-induced gremlins. Not that these trucks are fragile, but they are known for finicky electrical systems.

2. If it is in an accident, I'd want a BIG discount from comparable clean vehicles.

We're it me, I'd buy the best, accident-free one I could afford.
Right, well both trucks I have viewed that have been in accidents were still owned for about another 20k miles by the owner, and carfax records of service show nothing strange of servicing when compared to other vehicles.

At the same time I don't know if these trucks were owned by some carless guy or soccer mom who drove a rover for the badge and could care less how well it worked haha.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
84 Posts
You see many of them at the 60-70k. For sale because that is around the time when warranties have expired and the rigs have been on the road long enough to require a major overhaul due to mileage. By major overhaul I mean
1 at that mileage it's tine to change all fluids that are supposedly in for life. Tranny stranger case doffs coolant etc,...
If you don't they MSG still run ok but you then start to get things like a sticking gear or delayed shifts due to oils lesser viscosity.
2 time to look at all the gaskets on these rigs the valley pan gasket is usually the first culprit and look towards the back of the engine for green. Puddles, if you see any the you have a valley pan gig to do
Front end gaskets on either side of the water pump and below esp with the bmw engines (03-05) models
3 stabilizer squeaks , ball joints boots rotors warping
4 air suspension issues pop up around this time

So that's just a few of the issues and this is with the vehicle being well looked after all along
. If it was not looked after add afew mor things to the list , scratches , dings, electrical modifications by snake oil electricians fake or knock off cheap parts esp. In Florida!
And on it goes.
If I were you I would avoid any vehicle that was in an accident and take a clean title car with slightly higher mileage. If you drive it well and maintain it it will run forever.
I got mine at 80k miles, three tears ago, it now gas 145k. And I tow the living lights out of it. Still have original air rides, no transmission issues no transfer case iss use and the last time I had a code was two years ago :) ( check head lamp warning, not even a real code).
They are fantastic cars and I don't fly hence my high mileage in a short period

·
Registered
84 Posts
And so the owners tend to want to get rid of the car before they do all that stuff.. Basically let it be the next lucky guys problem.. I dint mind it for the price I paid and besides I did all the work myself including the new water pump, valve cover gaskets, screaming. Belt wheels etc. once your done they run pretty smooth and fir the next two to three years you'll just pay for gas and a set of preffered wheels :))

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And so the owners tend to want to get rid of the car before they do all that stuff.. Basically let it be the next lucky guys problem.. I dint mind it for the price I paid and besides I did all the work myself including the new water pump, valve cover gaskets, screaming. Belt wheels etc. once your done they run pretty smooth and fir the next two to three years you'll just pay for gas and a set of preffered wheels :))
Hey,

are these all issues I should expect even with 2006+? I am looking for 2006+ because I came from a 2006 xj8 (same powertrain) and the motor and tranny worked like silk, loved it.

An 06 with only 40k miles just popped up, good price too. Should these maintenance items be addressed due to age as well? Or simply mileage?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Know it's not a range rover but I had a bmw 3 series I had a accident in.

Had it repaired to a very high standard but after the crash I has loads and I mean loads .

Noises

Electrical faults every now and then

Even down to radio unit burning out

Me personally I'd leave be the damaged cars

And mine wasn't even recorded as a crash ..

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Hey,

are these all issues I should expect even with 2006+? I am looking for 2006+ because I came from a 2006 xj8 (same powertrain) and the motor and tranny worked like silk, loved it.

An 06 with only 40k miles just popped up, good price too. Should these maintenance items be addressed due to age as well? Or simply mileage?
No I see captain jack has a 2005 (bmw range rover engine) in his signature... At that mileage the BMW rigs require that type of maintenance, the jags dont. I'd avoid one that's been in an accident unless it was something very very minor.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I've decided to opt against one that's been in an accident. Both trucks were each involved in accidents, so I'm sure they have something being funky.

Luckily my patience has paid off and an 06 with 40k miles 2 owner no accidents just showed up for a nice price, lux interior and all. As long as I'm not too slow it should be mine, if not, I think I'll just wait until I'm done with college and get one! Haha

·
Registered
84 Posts
Bmw engines yes, jaguar engine no. 2006 and up have jaguar engines so no.

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
280 Posts
The jag built trucks are superior in every way... FYI OP 2007+ gets an interior update.
I know i'm inviting flaming but I have to agree with this general statement.

I just bought an 06 RR-HSE because of the jag engine (didn't go 07 because I feel the 06 interior is more classic).

Don't be fooled though, the Jag engine's have their issues but radiators, brakes and all your normal service parts are about 30% less for the jag parts compared to the BMW based units.

I owned several e38s with the m62 engine (BMW engine in 03-05) and seems like it's normal operation to be rebuilding the engine due to oil leaks near 100k.

I must have looked at 25 different Rovers here in SoCal and bought the one that was in the best mechanical shape. I just did the 90 and 100k services (I'm at 89k) which ran me about 1200 total but trucks in great shape. Make sure if over 60k you do the transmission filter and fluids.

I have a few $$ to spend at the dealer getting software updated but these are amazing trucks.

Avoid anything with any sort of accident of any kind. I'm not talking door dings but anything that required body repair could cause other issues (think electrical, they've got ECU's hidden everywhere).

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know i'm inviting flaming but I have to agree with this general statement.

I just bought an 06 RR-HSE because of the jag engine (didn't go 07 because I feel the 06 interior is more classic).

Don't be fooled though, the Jag engine's have their issues but radiators, brakes and all your normal service parts are about 30% less for the jag parts compared to the BMW based units.

I owned several e38s with the m62 engine (BMW engine in 03-05) and seems like it's normal operation to be rebuilding the engine due to oil leaks near 100k.

I must have looked at 25 different Rovers here in SoCal and bought the one that was in the best mechanical shape. I just did the 90 and 100k services (I'm at 89k) which ran me about 1200 total but trucks in great shape. Make sure if over 60k you do the transmission filter and fluids.

I have a few $$ to spend at the dealer getting software updated but these are amazing trucks.

Avoid anything with any sort of accident of any kind. I'm not talking door dings but anything that required body repair could cause other issues (think electrical, they've got ECU's hidden everywhere).
If this engine is anything like the 4.2 that was in my 06 xj8 (which it is except being bored to 4.4) I can't imagine any issues with the engine! Sold my jag with 80k and was a gem, loved it mainly for the feel of motor and tranny! But they do spit at you for not using premium fuel or catching a spite of stale gas! Haha

1 - 13 of 13 Posts