RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever bought replacement OEM parts for their Sports off eBay? I'm looking at some HID ballasts they have listed and was wondering if the part I get is defective, how do I prove it? The listings all say they're in working order. But, again, I wonder, why is someone selling used HID ballasts? Hmmm. :think:
 

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
Joined
·
11,013 Posts
Ask the seller what they would do if the part turns out to be defective. If they have a solid reputation on eBay and have been around a while, they should stand by their claim and get you your money back if the part is DOA. If you check with some local auto junkyards in your area first you might get lucky and pay even less than on eBay - and have someone local to go back to if the ballast is defective... (that Hella ballast is not unique to Land Rovers BTW, it is used on a bunch of other European-built cars with HIDs.) Junkyards are where a lot of these used parts being sold on eBay come from.

New one, for not a lot more money than a used one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Range-Ro ... ccessories
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
umbertob said:
Ask the seller what they would do if the part turns out to be defective. If they have a solid reputation on eBay and have been around a while, they should stand by their claim and get you your money back if the part is DOA. If you check with some local auto junkyards in your area first you might get lucky and pay even less than on eBay - and have someone local to go back to if the ballast is defective... (that Hella ballast is not unique to Land Rovers BTW, it is used on a bunch of other European-built cars with HIDs.) Junkyards are where a lot of these used parts being sold on eBay come from.

New one, for not a lot more money than a used one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Range-Ro ... ccessories
Good find! I'd pay the $30 extra to avoid all the driving around and the hassle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
umbertob said:
Google is your friend: http://www.oembulbs.com/hella-oem-balla ... -unit.html

PS: Is the ignitor good (the squarish box where the bulb attaches to)?
LOL, Google is my friend! Nice find. (Recap) The driver's side isn't working. So, I merely swapped bulbs: driver's side bulb to passenger side and vice versa. Driver's side bulb works on passenger's side. Therefore, the bulbs are fine. I'll try swapping ignitors today.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm a little confused. This morning I removed both headlights and exchanged ignitors. They don't seem to be the problem as the same light still works: the front passenger side. I noticed that there are two devices below each headlight:

5DV 008 290-00
AFS Power Module Midi 5DF 008 704-70

Which one is actually the HID ballast: the one marked 5DV 008 290-00 or the one marked AFS Power Module Midi 5DF 008 704-70? :doh:
 

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
Joined
·
5,175 Posts
HugeBob said:
I'm a little confused. This morning I removed both headlights and exchanged ignitors. They don't seem to be the problem as the same light still works: the front passenger side. I noticed that there are two devices below each headlight:

5DV 008 290-00
AFS Power Module Midi 5DF 008 704-70

Which one is actually the HID ballast: the one marked 5DV 008 290-00 or the one marked AFS Power Module Midi 5DF 008 704-70? :doh:
HB,
You have your pictures reversed, but the one marked 5DV is the ballast and I think the AFS module may be part of the adaptive lighting system control. Try swapping the ballasts on each side.
 

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
Joined
·
11,013 Posts
I agree with goosey. A defective AFS control module wouldn't prevent the bulbs from firing up, it only controls the motor that makes the headlights "swivel" when you steer. If it fails - as it did in my car - the headlights should still operate. My guess is that your ballast (the one with the yellow tag) is faulty.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
gooseyloosey said:
HugeBob said:
I'm a little confused. This morning I removed both headlights and exchanged ignitors. They don't seem to be the problem as the same light still works: the front passenger side. I noticed that there are two devices below each headlight:

5DV 008 290-00
AFS Power Module Midi 5DF 008 704-70

Which one is actually the HID ballast: the one marked 5DV 008 290-00 or the one marked AFS Power Module Midi 5DF 008 704-70? :doh:
HB,
You have your pictures reversed, but the one marked 5DV is the ballast and I think the AFS module may be part of the adaptive lighting system control. Try swapping the ballasts on each side.
I was going to swap the ballasts when I saw the two boxes under there and just through a brain fault. I'll try swapping the units marked 5DV... tonight.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top