When will L460s begin selling for MSRP in the US

• More than two years beyond May 2022.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The local dealers in my area are claiming L460s will only go out the door anywhere from $15,000 to as much as $50,000 over MSRP with one demanding at $10,000 non-refundable deposit and another one demanding a credit check even for cash buyers to “show commitment”.

There are rarely kind words to be found for state-regulated monopolies. History of other hot cars (except extremely rare ones) suggests that this MSRP+ nonsense can abate quickly.

I am interested in how much people have been willing to spend over MSRP, but also when we collectively think that prices will reverent to MSRP. One dealer said “years”.

·
Registered
2020 Range Rover Sport HST
14 Posts
Yea I am paying MSRP for mine aswell. But I would recommend you trying other states but you might have to have an address or give them a family members address who lives in that state for them to be able to sell car to you.

·
Registered
2020 Range Rover Sport HST
14 Posts
But that sounds like a low volume dealership because if your spec is not outlandish you should not have to “show commitment” because even if you back out there’s people waiting to buy. But I would definitely NOT just let them run my credit like that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had my dealership I have purchased 3 RR over the past 10 years charging me 25% over MSRP for a new First Edition RR Sport build. I called another local dealership with a different owner and they are only charging $5,000 over MSRP.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My local dealer is $20k over list. They won't even return emails. As much as I'd like to buy the new RR, no way am I paying one cent over MSRP. I guess it's going to be a few years before I own one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just call around to a few dealerships. You will find one who is more reasonable.
The problem is dealers have area restrictions. I never knew this. Porsche and Mercedes dealers do not have this restriction AFAIK. I asked a dealer 1.5 hrs from me and they stated "nope you're out of our area". Maddening.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The dealer area restriction is an incredibly maddening policy. LR should also impose price caps so that dealers cannot charge ridiculous markups over MSRP. I wonder if there is any legal ground to challenge the dealers on their markups. For instance, do you think all of the dealers in a given area are colluding to sell vehicles with a certain minimum markup?

The problem is dealers have area restrictions. I never knew this. Porsche and Mercedes dealers do not have this restriction AFAIK. I asked a dealer 1.5 hrs from me and they stated "nope you're out of our area". Maddening.

·
Premium Member
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
987 Posts
I can't answer a poll that is totally opinion based but I will say this, I will not pay over MSRP.

Reactions: Austin-Guy

·
Registered
231 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
I had that same issue when I lived in CA and was trying to buy a 2015 RR ATB. I ended up buying the car in FL for msrp. My parents lived near a LR dealership that was owned by the Audi dealership they dealt with. They considered me a "customer" based on my parents being long term customers. The cost to ship was much less than the $20K over msrp the CA dealers wanted to charge!

·
Registered
135 Posts
This is my area and it's bonkers... $50k over MSRP -- money that just POOF, evaporates when you buy it. Exhibit A, of more money than brains?
View attachment 300927

P.S. NW package are typically mats and clear bra on front facia, hood. No clue what accessories are in this one... your judgement if that equals $14k value.
In my country, it starts at 200k before markups and the spec I want, so...

·
Registered
8 Posts
As long as their are long lists of customer orders, there is going to be mark-ups at most dealers. I'd guess in a year or 2 when orders start to slow down and the parts shortage eases, prices will be better.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yep, the area restriction really screws the customers. Unfortunately even if LR tried to impose a price cap, it'd probably fail. For example, Rolex wants their dealers to sell at MSRP. So the dealers create subsidiary companies that they sell their new stock to, and then the subsidiary sells a "used" Rolex for 2x to 3x. It's a shell game and everyone plays it.

Ford has tried to impose caps on dealer markups. But again, dealers will buy the car from a customer and sell it "used" for a huge markup.

So long as there's a ton of people with cash out there, the line will be long. But with a recession looming, and interest rates on the rise, those who aren't as robust financially will get weeded out. It'll probably take another couple of years before that happens. I'm ok with that. I'm not in a hurry. This is a want, not a need. In fact, I'm going to put the $100k plus that was going to go into the RR, into a real estate syndication deal and get 15-17% IRR for the next 3 years. Might as well make some money.

The dealer area restriction is an incredibly maddening policy. LR should also impose price caps so that dealers cannot charge ridiculous markups over MSRP. I wonder if there is any legal ground to challenge the dealers on their markups. For instance, do you think all of the dealers in a given area are colluding to sell vehicles with a certain minimum markup?

·
Registered
104 Posts
The local dealers in my area are claiming L460s will only go out the door anywhere from $15,000 to as much as $50,000 over MSRP with one demanding at $10,000 non-refundable deposit and another one demanding a credit check even for cash buyers to “show commitment”.

There are rarely kind words to be found for state-regulated monopolies. History of other hot cars (except extremely rare ones) suggests that this MSRP+ nonsense can abate quickly.

I am interested in how much people have been willing to spend over MSRP, but also when we collectively think that prices will reverent to MSRP. One dealer said “years”.
Tell them to go pound sand.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts