Range Rovers Forum banner

Buying in Ottawa Ont. Any tell tale signs that suspension is wearing down?

3K views 18 replies 5 participants last post by  Hauwse 
#1 ·

Hey guys, in Ottawa Ontario and need some help

Decided on a few 2010-2011 RRS S/C's and I just want to know if there are any tell tale signs that the air ride suspension is faulty or on the verge of needing a new air compressor or other parts. Aside from any warnings popping up on the dash, is there anything to look for when raising and lowering the car, for example, both sides rise at the same rate vs. back rising before the front which I've seen. Or even when the car is coming down.... Should both sides lower at the same speed or is it normal for one side to come down at a time?

Here are the cars I am considering.... *Keep in mind the mileage is in Kilometres.

http://wwwb.autotrader.ca/a/Land+Ro...512226/?ursrc=hl&showcpo=ShowCPO&orup=5_15_18

http://wwwb.autotrader.ca/a/Land+Ro...031113165241900/?showcpo=ShowCPO&orup=7_15_18

http://wwwb.autotrader.ca/a/Land+Ro...29829/?ursrc=hl&showcpo=ShowCPO&orup=10_15_18

The one selling from Land Rover Laval got a bad review on dealerrater.ca, the other two dealers got some positive reviews. I'm shooting for $25000 down (cash if that makes a difference) for either 400 per month or 200 bi-weekly over 60 months.

What do you guys think?

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: Buying in Ottawa Ont. Any tell tale signs that suspension is wearing down?

In my experience it is usually the compressor that is the weakest link. It used to be the air strut/shocks, but the newer ones are pretty solid.

A new compressor is going to cost you a fair bit($800 plus), but they can be rebuilt most of the time which is not very expensive($130 DIY)

All that being said, the shocks are generally pretty obvious; they won't hold air. So the car will drop overnight etc.

The compressor will run longer than it should, this tends to be the dryer or the dryer beads. However if the aformentioned is not taken care of the excess running will eventually kill the compressor, and the compressor tends to start making a metallic sound when it is going, usually the piston ring.

If was you, buying from a dealer, I would be working the extended warranty angle.

There a lot of things that can go wrong with any vehicle, RRS is no different, the difference is that you are talking about a very expensive vehicle, and maintenance, repairs and service; at a LR Dealership will reflect this. It may cost you $300 to replace a heater core on a chevy malibu, RRS $3000.00 at LR shop.

However there is a ton of work you can do yourself, IE: replacing the heater core; 3-4 hours and you can save yourself a 90% of the LR dealer cost.

#3 ·

Thanks Hause,

You just confirmed the impression I have been forming from reading the many threads about constant maintenance. It's not that the car has so many gadgets but more that it's most complex gadgets revolve around the air suspension system and as a result, the compressor is a high maintenance component. I used to do all the work on my Audi A4 weather permitting, so you can bet I'll have my tools ready for this baby when she breaks down.

The first thing I'm gonna do when I get the car home is raise the suspension and crawl underneath it to have a look at her. Is there anything I should be looking for? The car has already passed the ontario safety inspection and land rover's inspection and the car proof is clean and solid so I have a good feeling about this sale. Signing the papers tomorrow :)

BTW, for anyone else looking at getting a used Range Rover from a dealership, DO NOT sign anything or place any deposit on the car until you have all the documents including the ontario safety certificate. I didn't sign a dammed thing and managed to get new pads and rotors all around as part of the deal and guess what. I STILL haven't signed anything yet. So far, aside from a little waiting I still have the purchasing power so the dealership is still treating me with great care lol.

Cheers

#4 ·

The first thing I'm gonna do when I get the car home is raise the suspension and crawl underneath it to have a look at her. Is there anything I should be looking for?
A hospital.

#6 ·

the 2nd link would be a good optioned car. not sure about the durability of suede however.

#7 ·

I agree, that's the car we chose. The dealership in Laval had it shipped to Ottawa from Laval for the Ontario Safety and E-test. As a result, they ended up replacing all brake pads and rotors as well as the wiper blades. The E-test failed because the car has not been driven much and upon googling this issue and calling the service desk at Land Rover Ottawa, I found out that the E-test results were coming back as 2 "Not Ready" returns as opposed to "Fail" so all that means is driving it for a few days before doing the E-test again. All this and I STILL haven't paid a cent or signed on any dotted line. To me this is rare as it seems so many dealerships push REALLY hard to get a deposit, which I've never liked.

Either way, we should be getting the car on Saturday and then it's just a matter of driving it as much as possible..... Time to use all those Petro points I've been saving up lol.

Now back to the whole crawling under the car thing. What's the big deal? I mean unless the car lowers itself after a few mins of sitting on my driveway, I really see no issue. Regardless I'll put a few jack stands under it just in case.

#9 ·
#8 ·

The car should not lower unless you press access height, no matter how long it's been sitting.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#10 ·

Thanks guys, I had a second look at the car a few mins ago before driving to Montreal to sign off on it and it is in pristine condition. So far I am very happy with it but I did notice that in the 10 mins that it was idling, the fuel gauge moved lol.... Oh well. I know what I'm getting into and thank god the gas prices here have been at an all time low. Let's hope it stays that way for a few more days.

Also, in trying to pair my phone all it said was "phone not fitted" and made to reference to the BT 4 digit pair code. My iPhone picked up the BT connection as "LAND ROVER" but I need the 4 digit code to pair it.

As for the rest of the car, all I can say at this point is WOW! With the exception of a little bit of a cigarette smell to it (everyone in Montreal smokes), The car is clean well-kept and nothing is torn or scuffed. I can now say with full confidence that I am ready to sign the documents and pay the money.

Cheers. :)

#11 ·

Ah, Montreal. Good times. Reminds me of France, without real French people.

#12 · (Edited)

Ah, Montreal. Good times. Reminds me of France, without real French people.
Or reminds you of Texas...where people want to secede from the nation. :) Good luck with the Gas bills - watching the gas gauge while idling...we have a Hall of Fame sticky here Goose! Bluetooth pairing code is 2121 I presume...

#17 ·

2121 code for BT

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.