RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey! I'm new to range rover and my parents have asked me to find a good range rover that is all around a great vehicle!

Some key points-

-Would like decent reliability (not expecting Hondo or Toyota reliability but obviously would not want something unusable).
-Would prefer a V8 model? Or would it be smarter to get a newer 6 cylinder model?
-How many kms is a good range (pun intended to get them
-Price is not a problem, would not mind paying a little bit more for peace of mind and a nicely specced model
-Would spend more for a good looking model, something with nice rims and loaded options
-Is it worth it spending more for a 2018+ refresh?
-I've been looking at 2016 and 2017 models (V8 Supercharged) with digital dashes, is any year a "must have". (Is the interior in 2017 that much better)
-Have done the research, will probably get a warranty, but how much for the warranty does it make sense and how many years and kms?
-Located in Canada

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm VERY happy with my 2019. Seems they got all the bugs worked out from the 2018 model and apple carplay is a nice addition for 2019. It's been flawless during my first month. Probably wont need the warranty on this one. My v6 dynamic has PLENTY of power and the larger touchscreens are superb over the 2017 models. MSRP on my model is $99k and I paid $70k with 16k miles. I'm thrilled with it!

Consider negotiating a 3-5 day return option (in writing) just to help ensure you got a good one.

Good luck. Let us know what you decide on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How long have you had it? Any issues with it? Would you suggest a warranty if we plan on keeping it for a long time? Would you say that the extra $20k ~ is worth the 2019 model over the 2017 models?

·
Registered
9 Posts
1 month. daily driver. zero issues. Yes, 2019 model is worth $20k extra. Skip the warranty since you'll have plenty of factory warranty remaining.

Didn't realize I could love a car this much! It's a work of art. Very thoughtfully created Especially enjoying the 22 speaker meridian sound system and the driver assist package! :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Some other notes:
-For 2017 they upgraded the infotainment system. It's the same basic system that you find in the 2018+ but with a single instead of a dual screen. Some advantages of it are that it is capable of over-the -air updates (though you'll first have to get a dealer to update it manually to a version that supports OTA), and it also supports CarPlay (again when updated to a recent version).
-In addition to cosmetics, the 2018 facelift got some additional storage with the addition of an upper glove box and a hidden storage compartment under the cupholders. You also get the newer style steering wheel buttons and newer digital cluster with more configuration options.
-For 2019.5 they replaced the supercharged V6 with a turbo inline 6. It's smoother, more efficient and more powerful but the downside is that its still unproven at this point. I have one of these- havent had a problem yet but its only been 8 months since i bought it.
-I think you'll find people with any year/trim that have had great experiences and terrible experiences. A bit luck of the draw. I dont know that any particular engine is known to be much better or worse than the others in terms of reliability at this point. The v8 has probably been around the longest though. It's cliched advice but probably get the newest best maintained car that your budget allows.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1 month. daily driver. zero issues. Yes, 2019 model is worth $20k extra. Skip the warranty since you'll have plenty of factory warranty remaining.

Didn't realize I could love a car this much! It's a work of art. Very thoughtfully created Especially enjoying the 22 speaker meridian sound system and the driver assist package! :)
Would you suggest a newer 6 cylinder model or an older V8 model? Also, would you happen to know how much the difference in gas usage is?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Some other notes:
-For 2017 they upgraded the infotainment system. It's the same basic system that you find in the 2018+ but with a single instead of a dual screen. Some advantages of it are that it is capable of over-the -air updates (though you'll first have to get a dealer to update it manually to a version that supports OTA), and it also supports CarPlay (again when updated to a recent version).
-In addition to cosmetics, the 2018 facelift got some additional storage with the addition of an upper glove box and a hidden storage compartment under the cupholders. You also get the newer style steering wheel buttons and newer digital cluster with more configuration options.
-For 2019.5 they replaced the supercharged V6 with a turbo inline 6. It's smoother, more efficient and more powerful but the downside is that its still unproven at this point. I have one of these- havent had a problem yet but its only been 8 months since i bought it.
-I think you'll find people with any year/trim that have had great experiences and terrible experiences. A bit luck of the draw. I dont know that any particular engine is known to be much better or worse than the others in terms of reliability at this point. The v8 has probably been around the longest though. It's cliched advice but probably get the newest best maintained car that your budget allows.
Would you suggest I reallocate the budget to put towards a never 6 cylinder model or an older V8 model? That's just the main reason I'm confused right now. I'm not sure if a newer 2018+ 6 cylinder would be better than a 2017 V8 sport?

·
Registered
9 Posts
The 6-cylinder has PLENTY of power and even sounds good, but skip the 2018 and try to get the 2019, if possible, with apple car play. That model will have all the bugs worked out. (I"m driving the earlier supercharged 6 and it's a terrific engine). you might find a bigger selection of 2016/2017 since those leases are about to expire, and no new shipments are coming from Land Rover due to covid, but cars.com, autotrader.com and carmax.com can help you locate a good 2019/2020 used model.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Would you suggest I reallocate the budget to put towards a never 6 cylinder model or an older V8 model? That's just the main reason I'm confused right now. I'm not sure if a newer 2018+ 6 cylinder would be better than a 2017 V8 sport?
no doubt the v8 will be more fun, sound better and handle better. Personally I’d probably have gotten the v8 but my wife would hate the poor fuel economy and louder exhaust. If you’re keeping it long term I think the 6 cylinder versions will have lower ownership costs.

Drive the 6 and if it doesn’t leave you wanting more get that.

·
Registered
79 Posts
You can get CarPlay on any 2017+ RRS. The V8 is worlds better then the V6 anyone who tells you otherwise is well crazy!

My wife has a 2017 L405 V8SC with CarPlay she averages 19mpg and I have a 2020 SVR and average 17:) the dual screens in the 18+ is nice but I wouldn’t let that control my decision. The V8 does imho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
273 Posts
Would you suggest a newer 6 cylinder model or an older V8 model? Also, would you happen to know how much the difference in gas usage is?
If you are talking about the gasoline v6 Supercharged 3.0Liter... then take the 5.0Liter V8 Supercharged over that particualr v6 everyday of the week... no comparison. I get better gas mileage in my RR Sport V8 Supercharged than I did my 3.5L v6 Twin-Turbo Explorer by about 3mpgs... Didn't drive a v6 Rover long enough to notice gas mileage I must say but did long enough to notice a big difference in Horsepower and Torque. My old v6 I had to keep my foot in it most everywhere I went (i know I'm comparing two different vehicle/engines Rover v6SC rated @ 340HP & Explorer 3.5L TT 365HP so still comparable and the Explorer weighs the same as the Rover does.) The Rover V8 SC is power on demand and I don't have to stay in the throttle at all unless I want to or need to make a move/manuever.

The V6 Diesel is a torque monster and is a different animal. People that have them really like them...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you are talking about the gasoline v6 Supercharged 3.0Liter... then take the 5.0Liter V8 Supercharged over that particualr v6 everyday of the week... no comparison. I get better gas mileage in my RR Sport V8 Supercharged than I did my 3.5L v6 Twin-Turbo Explorer by about 3mpgs... Didn't drive a v6 Rover long enough to notice gas mileage I must say but did long enough to notice a big difference in Horsepower and Torque. My old v6 I had to keep my foot in it most everywhere I went (i know I'm comparing two different vehicle/engines Rover v6SC rated @ 340HP & Explorer 3.5L TT 365HP so still comparable and the Explorer weighs the same as the Rover does.) The Rover V8 SC is power on demand and I don't have to stay in the throttle at all unless I want to or need to make a move/manuever.

The V6 Diesel is a torque monster and is a different animal. People that have them really like them...
Thank you! I have kind of narrowed it down to a 2017 Range Rover Sport V8, now is there something I should look for particularly? Any options? Packages? Autobiography or not autobiography? Also for the maintenance logs should I look for one that has more services down or less? As in let's say 9 service records found vs 5 service records found (keep in mind it could also be regular checkups I assume). Any big issues? Also a good km range? Most I've been looking at are around 55k~ KMS and are listed around $65K CAD. Thank you so much! You don't understand how much I appreciate you! I have trouble finding this site after I lose it so I have to search through weeks of history to find it hahaha I keep going on land rover forums instead.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You can get CarPlay on any 2017+ RRS. The V8 is worlds better then the V6 anyone who tells you otherwise is well crazy!

My wife has a 2017 L405 V8SC with CarPlay she averages 19mpg and I have a 2020 SVR and average 17:) the dual screens in the 18+ is nice but I wouldn’t let that control my decision. The V8 does imho

Your wife has the one I'm currently looking at correct? Sorry kind of new with the model names. I'm sorry I'm a bit confused does that mean my potential 2017 V8 could get apple car play? Although its not a huge issue since I honestly only use Bluetooth for audio haha!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
no doubt the v8 will be more fun, sound better and handle better. Personally I’d probably have gotten the v8 but my wife would hate the poor fuel economy and louder exhaust. If you’re keeping it long term I think the 6 cylinder versions will have lower ownership costs.

Drive the 6 and if it doesn’t leave you wanting more get that.
Thank you! I think a loud exhaust is something I really want to do! As well as potentially tuning it! Is that something you would suggest? I'd also potentially get a exhaust system! I like spending money on upgrades hahaha so I'm not sure how upgradable the V6 would be!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Your wife has the one I'm currently looking at correct? Sorry kind of new with the model names. I'm sorry I'm a bit confused does that mean my potential 2017 V8 could get apple car play? Although its not a huge issue since I honestly only use Bluetooth for audio haha!
The 405 is the full size Range Rover and the 494 is the Range Rover Sport. They share the same engines.

Yes all 2017 should have the update already complete if your buying from a dealer to add Apple CarPlay. If not ask them and they should do it free of charge. CarPlay is really nice especially if you use Waze or Spotify etc.

Keep in mind if you can, buy Certified pre owned as that should give you approximately two years of LR warranty and 100k miles.

Good luck!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts