RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just test drove a 2001 HSE Holland & Holland #182 with 106k. Overall the car was in pretty decent shape, although there were a few dents, dings, and scratches on the exterior. I guess that is to be expected with a 12 year old vehicle. The interior was clean, but not flawless i.e. some minor cracking of the walnut trim, and staining of the rear cargo carpet. NAV worked, but no cd, and the HEVAC display Has lost some, but not all of its lighting. I didn't see the little book icon on the display, but is it possible that if there were an error the bulb that lights this could have been out? EAS seemed to be in working order and there were no faults in the message center nor lights on the dash. Key FOB was missing both buttons, and headliner was beginning to sag.

Asking price is $6500, do you think it's worth a closer examination, and possibly an inspection through the local LR Dealership?

Thx - PEJ

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just paid 13K for mine a couple weeks ago, BUT....it is almost flawless and only has 38 thousand miles on it. The price sounds reasonable for the issues you have listed, with most things being a weekend fix if you are handy. Does it have the matching luggage, the plastic skirting for the interior of the trunk, and is the table (spare Tire Cover) in working condition? That might be why it is stained....being a table and all... I would have a mechanic look it over that specializes in LR's unless you are a descent wrench turner yourself. Lot's of little things to check really....Does the cruise work? Does the EAS lower? Raise? Adjust at freeway speed? Do you have service records? Clean Title? Do all the speakers work? All the inteior lights? You already mentioned the HEVAC...basically known typically P38 issues/problems should be checked for. While I love the look and interior nuances of my H&H, that is not why I paid 13K for it, I paid 13K for the condition it was in. It being an H&H edition was just a very, very nice bonus...and since I gave the bags to my wife I got a free pass on buying myself another P38!

·
Registered
234 Posts
If it rings your bell get it looked over by either a RR dealer or better an independent who knows about them.

If it comes out OK you can pay them the asking price or negotiate it down to cover the cost of any needed repairs.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks P3801H&H and WayneB,

I had the rover inspected by an indy shop near the dealership, and they located about $500 worth of "parts" that needed fixing (I'll twist wrenches myself) and I noticed 2 of the airlines leading into the EAS box leaking air from the collet/air line connection. I negotiated down to $4200, and drove it home 140 miles yesterday. Proud 1st time RR owner!

Thx - pej

·
Registered
463 Posts
Congrats and that's a good deal for a regular HSE, let alone a H&H.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Sounds like you got a good deal. Special editions are nice, but unfortunately don't command premium pricing.

As far as the HVAC, it is just a simple LCD screen ribbon that doesn't make connections. Search on this site and you will find detailed fix. It only takes time a a strip of electrical tape to fix.

I got my headliner done for $200 after I took it out and delivered it myself. Again, there are some instructions on this site. Remove all the trim pieces so the headliner is just being held by the window trim. Then drive it to your upholster shop and drop it out at the shop. You need to lower the rear seats and lower the backs of the front seat to get it out at about a 45 deg angle out of the back. Don't be crazy and get a dark color headliner, BAD idea. Just get a color as close to OEM as you can. I was quoted $500-600 for the shop to do all the work taking it out or $200 to just drop it off.

Lets see some pics!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Stopped by a local dealership last night to make use of the lighting, these are from my iPhone, so not best quality, but all I have so far

Park Lights On.jpg

Lights On.jpg

I'll try to post more later, plus this is my first try at posting images, so I want to make sure to do it correct before trying a large quantity...

-pej

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
455 Posts
Looks great. The H&H is probably my favorite of the special editions - I really like Tintern Green.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Good stuff, now some of the interior

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey OP and others,

Have really been wanting a used (~01) Holland and Holland for some time and am finally in a position (financially) to try and find one. Problem is that I am not exactly sure how to go about locating one. I live in Omaha, NE and while we do have a LR dealership here, that edition is NOT going to make its way through the dealer. I have been trying to do some solid internet trolling research to find ones for sale but it seems as though most people find theirs by luck from a seller geographically close to them. Travel would not be an issue for me if I could simply manage to locate one in the first place.

Low mileage would be great, but I am really after the Holland and Holland edition more than anything. Am an avid bird hunter and really want to add this vehicle to my hunts. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
719 Posts
hmm this might be why the seller in asheville hasn't called me back! enjoy it, i was right behind you! but thats ok, ive got my westminster... :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey Wantin,

I wasn't specifically looking for an H&H when I ran across this one, but like P3801H&H said before, it is a very nice bonus. I had been looking seriously for a rover for a month or so, and this was the 5th or 6th (and last) I located and drove to check out. I saw it advertised in a newly posted ad on a dealer's website on a Monday night, and I drove 2 hours the next morning to go check it out. I subsequently returned on Thursday for an extended test drive and trip to an indy shop for pre purchase inspection, and then went back on Friday and bought it. I'm pretty sure the dealership was clueless about the car, because I basically stole it for what I paid....

But to answer your original question, I feel your pain, bro! I was having trouble finding good examples of P38's to consider purchasing, without the constraints of looking for a special edition like an H&H. In fact, I posted a "Help" ad much like you did, trying to find out where all the clean, affordable, well maintained P38's were.... My advice, keep diligently searching all the websites and classifieds you can get your hands on, and with a little luck, one will fall in your path. And, if that doesn't work out to your liking, you could always try bustin' out some hundreds and trying to convince somebody who owns one to part with it......;)

Best of luck in your search, and if I see any, I'll shoot you a message - pej

·
Registered
719 Posts
interior pics! i need to see the one that got away! :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey Sydneyman, had you seen this H&H advertised up in Asheville, or somewhere else? I'm pretty sure the previous owner lives there. Here's the only interior pic I have at the moment, but I'll post some more after detail....

Interior.JPG

with the exception of the headliner beginning to sag, and what looks like a silverdollar sized piece of bubblegum ground into the spare tire cover, the interior is super clean. I wish I could say the same for the pollen filters...:shock: I've never seen so many leaves and pieces of sticks and berries.

·
Registered
719 Posts
it was advertised on craigslist. the asking price was 12000!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
WOW!!! The PO must have been super desperate to get rid of it, because they didn't get near that from the dealer as a trade.

Oh well, I guess even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while...

-pej

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I would love to post those pics, but this H&H is sans either.... Deff. no luggage, and I assume you're referring to the rear tray tables???? I don't think they were option on this model. The rear of the front seats are unaltered from original, and no sign of tables....

pej

·
Registered
186 Posts
ah ok... the other H and H guy who posted his own thread appeared to have both. Many of them had the table option. Up to now, I have usually seen them on either 01s or 02s. They were fully loaded HSEs, or H and H. None were the 30th Ann. I know that UK rovers and 30th rovers have had them

1 - 20 of 28 Posts