RangeRovers.net Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to resurrect a posting I created a time back because my lease is up towards the end of this year on the Grand Cherokee Summit and wanted to get some input on buying a pre-owned 2014 RRS HSE V6 versus a new 2017 Grand Cherokee.

Here's the back-story. My two-year lease on the 2015 Grand Cherokee will end later this year. I have been constantly struggling between getting another Grand Cherokee and trying something different like buying a used 2014 RRS HSE V6. These are the only two SUVs i'm interested in. I don't want to afford a new RRS and I'd rather wait and get one off lease closer to 2017 anyway.

From all the research I've been doing the RRS HSE comes pretty much scaled down in creature comforts unlike the higher end Grand Cherokee which comes with:

Remote start (also heats and cools down the vehicle)
Advanced Technology Package including Auto Braking, blind spot monitoring and active cruise control
Apple Carplay
20 speaker HK stereo system
ventilated and heated seats

Just to name a few. The options in the RRS I'm finding are more limited to the typical options plus maybe heat and cooled seats.

So I'd really be trading all the creature comforts getting in the RRS plus most likely missing the Front Climate Comfort and Visibility package, Luxury Climate Comfort and Visibility Package and Driver Assistance Package, which I hear, are sorta hard to come by.

Plus, am I right that the 2014 will be nearing its warranty expiration also (3 year;36 months)? So I’d have to pay more to probably get a certified pre-owned as I certainly would not own one of these outside a warranty expiration!

My options seem limited and I can afford to buy a new one but won’t take that hit and not interested in a $1000 car payment, especially since I don’t really keep my cars past two or three years and the leases are also too expensive as well I’m finding.

It also appears that for the price of a preowned (about $60k) I can get back into a brand new Grand Cherokee for closer to $50k.

So given all this what would you do? The new Grand Cherokee has come leaps and bounds but in no way does it drive like a Range Rover. That much I do know.

Really on the fence here as I’ve been more than happy with the Grand Cherokee. 17k miles in and not one problem so far but **** the RRS is such a pretty looking vehicle!

I know people here might be pretty biased but I'm looking for which is more practical.

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
The way you worded your post leads me to only one recommendation ... get another Cherokee. if this is mostly a daily driver and/or commuting car, then I would go for the fully loaded Cherokee instead of a basic RRS.

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
Mdx nailed it. Your phrasing all but begs us to talk you out of the Sport. In the end you would most likely be unhappy missing out on those odd little options the Jeep has since you have made a point to bring them up. Asking opinions of Jeeps on a Range Rover site is futile. We bleed blinker fluid, skate around on muffler bearings and give offerings to Lourde Lucas on bank holidays.

·
Banned
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mdx nailed it. Your phrasing all but begs us to talk you out of the Sport. In the end you would most likely be unhappy missing out on those odd little options the Jeep has since you have made a point to bring them up. Asking opinions of Jeeps on a Range Rover site is futile. We bleed blinker fluid, skate around on muffler bearings and give offerings to Lourde Lucas on bank holidays.
Can you please tell me what this means in English? "We bleed blinker fluid, skate around on muffler bearings and give offerings to Lourde Lucas on bank holidays."

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
I suggest Google. Apparently you lack the finer points of car humour and British auto history. :lol:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Seems like you're leaning toward the Jeep. They're good cars I assume as I've never owned one. I have however owned a lot of luxury vehicles which have either been the Forman for new tech/comfort or more refined. I can list them but don't want to seem like an ass.

I'm saying this because I just got my RRS and opted to forgo all the bells and whistles. Just more things to break IMO. Sure we can afford it, but do we want to?

For me, it came to what matters most. The driving experience. It's visceral when I'm tapping into the V8. It's way more intoxicating than in my CLS. It's so much fun to drive, I don't mind sitting in traffic because the V8 makes me feel like the sound system upgrades are a waste of money...

Speaking of money, please consider this as friendly advice, I never buy cars unless I know I can pay it off at the end of the year, that way I don't worry about work required or another payment. This goes into practicality, anything can be a daily driver, just depends on you.

You see what I'm getting at? Go drive the two cars and get what pulls at the strings to your heart. Or else you'll regret it, cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Yup, stay a Jeep owner.

Martin

·
Registered
268 Posts
Hey Dude,

I've owned both. One of my last daily drivers was a 2014 Grand Cherokee Summit V8. Overall, the JGC is a pretty amazing vehicle for the money. It's not as posh as the RRS, but it does have a better NAV/Audio system and more space in the boot. It's also a very good off-road vehicle that can hold its own. My 2014 had low-range, down-hill assist, and all the goodies.

Personally---I tend to avoid buying preowned vehicles. Ya just never know how the prior owner treated it or any hidden problems. There's always a risk with that regardless of brand. In the past I purchased a few used autos and encountered some nasty surprises (even after a PPI).

I vote new JGC.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The way you worded your post leads me to only one recommendation ... get another Cherokee. if this is mostly a daily driver and/or commuting car, then I would go for the fully loaded Cherokee instead of a basic RRS.

:clap::clap::clap:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I own a 2014 summit, owned a 2011 limited before that. I have had so so many problems with both Jeeps. Once my RRS comes in I'll be very happy to never have to deal with Jeep again. I'd suggest the RRS but then again, when working properly, the summit is beautiful to drive.

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
I own a 2014 summit, owned a 2011 limited before that. I have had so so many problems with both Jeeps. Once my RRS comes in I'll be very happy to never have to deal with Jeep again. I'd suggest the RRS but then again, when working properly, the summit is beautiful to drive.
I hope your RRS ownership is full of puppies and pink fluffy unicorns, but just be prepared that you could have issues with the RR brand too! I bought my RR in spite of all the hundreds of threads detailing every kind of service and reliability problem with them. No brand is 100% perfect.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Exactly MsMdx.
Sounds like the OP is after another Jeep, go for it.
There are issues with ALL manufacturers, especially those who push the envelope a little more than others. Making a truly luxurious SUV, that is still more capable than most out off road, is not a simple task. Stuff can and does happen.

Martin

·
Banned
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Very much appreciate all your comments. I haven't said no the a preowned RRS but do appreciate the comments so far. I'm not biased one way or the other but have never owned a RRS before so just trying to get opinions is all. Certainly, keep them coming!

·
Registered
75 Posts
you're looking too much at the numbers on paper. the driving experiences are totally different, and the choice will be purely subjective. test drives are really your best resource (extended, ideally - see if you can get an RRS for the day or weekend).

·
Premium Member
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
1,482 Posts
Very much appreciate all your comments. I haven't said no the a preowned RRS but do appreciate the comments so far. I'm not biased one way or the other but have never owned a RRS before so just trying to get opinions is all. Certainly, keep them coming!
Unless you drive a new vehicle into the grave, I'm with you, the first-buyer depreciation hit is hard to justify, it's like burning Benjamins. But then again, certain new RR and RRS configs have held their near-term values well, so don't be too quick to rule out a new Rover.

you're looking too much at the numbers on paper. the driving experiences are totally different, and the choice will be purely subjective. test drives are really your best resource (extended, ideally - see if you can get an RRS for the day or weekend).
Brosef is right, you really need to test drive an RRS or even an RR for yourself. You know you want to check out the SVR...

But seriously, the others are right, regardless of being able to afford a new RRS, it sounds like you're not ready to make the jump. And if the infotainment stuff is important to you, you'll probably be disappointed with a used RRS's infotainment.

Now, given that you're in DC, I'd say stay away from the uber-thin sport tire configs, but I'm sure you're already aware of that...

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
1,154 Posts
I like Grand Cherokees ever since the early 1990s (although I think the previous generation sorta lost its way) and think the latest are great looking vehicles. I haven't driven them though so cannot offer any real-world comparison advice.

I know you mentioned not wanting to buy a new RRS, but since you have leasing experience, would leasing a new RRS be an option?

Here's my take: before buying my RRS I would have been fine buying another MDX to replace my old one or something in the $50-60k range like a base X5 or Cayenne. However, I yearned for the RRS and did not take the practical approach. Now that I bought an RRS, I'm totally ruined and only want either a RR or RRS from now on. I think the only way this will change is if reliability becomes an issue and honestly even then I wonder if it's enough to turn me away. I know not everybody feels this way after LR ownership but there are plenty of people who are drinking the kool-aid with me as well.

Whether this will be financially viable in the future remains to be seen! I'll take it one vehicle at a time.

In other words if you would be as happy with the Jeep now as the RRS, then get another Jeep and delay ruining yourself. If you also find yourself yearning for the RRS, then get the RRS but be wary of the kool-aid so to speak. `)

·
Banned
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I just realized that Range Rover warranties are four year/50k and not three year/36! So I could potentially buy a low milage 2014, covered under the factory warranty and then take my chances owning it a year outside of warranty and then dump it after two years. It wouldn't be a daily driver so this could potentially work after all!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Well, I just realized that Range Rover warranties are four year/50k and not three year/36! So I could potentially buy a low milage 2014, covered under the factory warranty and then take my chances owning it a year outside of warranty and then dump it after two years. It wouldn't be a daily driver so this could potentially work after all!
I wouldn't be as concerned about the remaining warranty as I would be the condition of the pre-owned vehicle. Take the vehicle to Arlington Motorcar Service for a pre-purchase inspection (PPI). It might cost you $800 but it would be worth it if you come across a vehicle you like. If you come across a 1-year old vehicle that has been traded, there was probably a reason. Get it checked out so there are no nasty surprises. Don't trust Carfax or other reports like that. Nothing is going to beat a certified mechanic going over the car. The dealership mechanics aren't going to do that.

Arlington Motorcar Service---PPI (my advice)

·
Banned
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I wouldn't be as concerned about the remaining warranty as I would be the condition of the pre-owned vehicle. Take the vehicle to Arlington Motorcar Service for a pre-purchase inspection (PPI). It might cost you $800 but it would be worth it if you come across a vehicle you like. If you come across a 1-year old vehicle that has been traded, there was probably a reason. Get it checked out so there are no nasty surprises. Don't trust Carfax or other reports like that. Nothing is going to beat a certified mechanic going over the car. The dealership mechanics aren't going to do that.

Arlington Motorcar Service---PPI (my advice)

Thanks for the advice! Ideally, I'm looking for one that's coming off lease that way at least I can gauge a bit better why the vehicle has been traded in.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Thanks for the advice! Ideally, I'm looking for one that's coming off lease that way at least I can gauge a bit better why the vehicle has been traded in.
Be sure to get a print-out of the service history. Since you are here in the DC area----I know that Coleman and Rosenthal will give them to you. Their service advisors have been pretty good.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.