RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BUYING A NEW ROVER, 2 actually. I've only had one true experience with a RR which was a 92 county. I traded a dirtbike for it and ran it about a year before i left for university. I never had a major issue with it so i never really had to do any work aside from maintanence. unfortunately i could not keep up with fuel costs and was forced to sell and buy a car. Now i've got a little extra cash and i've lucked out huge and found a pair of 91 RRs just 10 minutes down the road. (central, ontario, canada) The guy is asking $1500 for both and i've talked him down to $950. (They've been up for sale forever and he wants them gone) I only got a quick look at them the other day but i've told him that tentatively, after a more meticulous inspection (not that i know what to look for anyways aside from typical things you might check on any truck) i am going to pick them up tuesday or wednesday, the first or second.

One is a good runner with a fairly good body but requires a fair bit of cosmetic repair (front and rear bumpers and all of the surroundings lights / covers etc. It needs a new water pump which has been pulled off of the 'parts rover' and is ready to be installed. The drivers floor is also beginning to rust out ( there is a hole about 1 inch wide and 8 inches in length running parallel the vehicle. it sounds as though it also needs a little exhaust work. Who knows what else. The frame looks solid to me but i didn't have a hammer to give it a thorough inspection. I don't often here of rotten frames on these things so i'm hoping i'm alright there.

The part rover is pretty rough. Tranny is shot but engine and the rest of the drive train are supposedly in good working condition.

I'm pretty set on buying these as its a good price for a running rover, let alone one with a parts truck and rovers are hard to come by here!!. If any could give me any advice before i go through with the transaction, things to look for etc. and also any advice on replacing the water pump and patching the floor boards that would be greatly appreciated. Pictures to come asap!

Thanks guys

·
Registered
543 Posts
Dc96.

Prepare to walk away-do not turn back, from one who is already a Civil Engineer(15+yrs) don't touch these with 40' barge poles !

Look for earlier '87/'88 Range Rover County models which are far more reliable and less expensive to maintain in the pocket ? ?

I think "Neon" and his mates on this forum have illustrations of what's in your price bracket Rangie Classic wise for ownership.

Cheerio,

Vinniman
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmm, unfortunately i'm in central ontario, canada. These trucks are extremely hard to come by here and when you do people are asking $1000 or more for a "parts truck only"! (Code word for you''ll never get it on the road so don't bother trying." There isn't a single other one under $3000 in my area! and not a single one is pre 1990, im not sure what i'll end up doing. my 1992 was an excellent ride while i had it, although i don't think i put enough km's on it to consider it a good trial run.

·
Registered
211 Posts
950 for two trucks is cheap money. If worse comes to worse, you could part them out for quite a bit more - heck, you could part the parts truck for more.

Do it - enjoy it - keep us posted.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts