RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I'm newly registered. I have some questions to ask and also i would like to take your opinions regarding the above matter...

I'm from Kuwait, the weather is HOT .. when I say hot, i mean like in summer it reaches 50C, I would like to buy a car I am a bit confused, I'm in love with Range Rover haha. really i like the design and all, also I'm recently starting to like Mercedes G 500 ... both are strong competitors, anyways ....
my questions are:

1. Which is better Range Rover Classic or Sport?
2. If Sport or Classic is better, then compare it to G 500, which is better?
3. What are the advantages and disadvantages of each .... (G and RR)
4. I've seen some pictures of Range Rover classic/sport 2010 with the new exterior design ... are they gonna stick to this or they'll change it on 2012?
I really dont want to buy a car with this price and after two years they change the design:/... i liked G Class because of this case, the design is the same since ever..
I know am in R.R forum and probably everyone would recommend R.R. But please help me on this ... am really confused!

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
I don't think you understand.

The Classic was made between 1970 and 1996

The P38 was made between 1994 and 2002

The Range Rover Mk3 or L322 started production on 2002

And the Sport, L320, started production in 2005

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tim (Scotland) said:
I don't think you understand.

Thank you for your reply, but what do the history of Range Rover has to do with my questions?!?!?!?!?!
Please read my post carefully.. I asked for a recommendation between G-Class (Mercedes) and Range Rover "Classic OR Sport", I am fully aware that RangeRover has two models; either Classic or Sport. My post was clear

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
The Classic is not a new car, the newest one is now 13 years old.
The title of your post states that you wish to buy a NEW car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tim (Scotland) said:
The Classic is not a new car, the newest one is now 13 years old.
The title of your post states that you wish to buy a NEW car.

I want to buy a new car; so that i came with this Subject. You left my post and commented on the subject? seriously...haha :clap:

·
Registered
74 Posts
I think Tim's just letting you know that if you want a NEW car, you can't buy a NEW Range Rover Classic. you can buy a 13 yr old Range Rover Classic, but not a new one. The range rover classics are great vehicles, it depends on what you're wanting to use it for though. i use mine as a daily driver aswell as a trail rig, and anything else offroad related. I know nothing about the mercedes you're talking about, so i can't compare the 2, all i can tell you is what i know about the RRCs

·
Registered
40 Posts
If you are interested in the G500 I would suggest you compair it to the Land Rover Defender if you are in Kuwait. If it is Road quality you are looking for, I would flip a coin. If you can find one that is. If you are looking for off road than the Defender cannot be touched by the g500. if you want the road quality but may find yourself in a situation when you need or want to hit the sand, than the Range Rover or the Range Rover "Sport" is a no brainer. The Range Rover Sport is the option if you intend to spend a bit less Dinar.
Ted

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
382 Posts
Although this confusion of the term "Classic" associated with the Range Rover I have not previously seen, I find it quite understandable. As others have pointed out, Land Rover added the moniker "Classic" to the name of the older model Range Rover when the P38 came out in 1995 (in which year the older model, i.e. the "Classic" was still being made). This is just like referring to the original Land-Rover as a "Series I" even though when it was built it was simply a Land-Rover and only became a "Series I" when the Series II was introduced in 1958.

You want to compare the current model Range Rover and Range Rover Sport with one another and with the Mercedes Geländewagen G500. Fair enough. However, since this particular forum is for owners and fanciers of the older Range Rover "Classic" of pre-1996 vintage, this is not the best place to ask. Most of us have pretty limited experience with the current models. The "Mk III" and "Sport" fora are probably better places to ask. The Mk III forum is at viewforum.php?f=2 and the Sport forum is at viewforum.php?f=5.

That said, I have driven both the new RR and RRS and would love to have either of them in my driveway, could I but afford one. I'd also take a Merc G500 as a gift as I think it's a cool looking beast. I have not ridden in one, let alone driven one. However, from all accounts it is pretty much a beast and as someone pointed out already more suitably compared with a Land Rover Defender, not a Range Rover of any vintage.

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
93sport said:
If you are interested in the G500 I would suggest you compair it to the Land Rover Defender if you are in Kuwait. If it is Road quality you are looking for, I would flip a coin. If you can find one that is. If you are looking for off road than the Defender cannot be touched by the g500. if you want the road quality but may find yourself in a situation when you need or want to hit the sand, than the Range Rover or the Range Rover "Sport" is a no brainer. The Range Rover Sport is the option if you intend to spend a bit less Dinar.
Ted
Buying a new Defender and intalling axle diff locks, to make as good if not better off road than the G, would be substantially cheaper than buying a new G.

·
Registered
523 Posts
dynamic said:
I want to buy a new car; so that i came with this Subject. You left my post and commented on the subject? seriously...haha :clap:
Do you know what? I think a Porsche Cayenne would suit you down to the ground.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh i see, the term "classic" is just to make difference between it and the R.R sport, didn't know that it would cause this argument lol :D

Thanks Granny for your clarification

·
Registered
345 Posts
Were the poor people of the rover world, even though last years maint. costs were around $3000 with me doing the labor. I personally forgive you for being able to afford any of the vehicles you've mentioned, I didn't realize there were profesional sports teams in Kuwait

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,725 Posts
classicjack said:
Were the poor people of the rover world, even though last years maint. costs were around $3000 with me doing the labor. I personally forgive you for being able to afford any of the vehicles you've mentioned, I didn't realize there were profesional sports teams in Kuwait

You lost me. Were the poor people of the world,... what?

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,725 Posts
dynamic said:
Oh i see, the term "classic" is just to make difference between it and the R.R sport, didn't know that it would cause this argument lol :D

Thanks Granny for your clarification
I have been following this thread with chuckles and disbelief.

Dynamic, as pointed out prior, a "Classic" even though a misnomer, has not been built/sold since 1995. You appear to be using the wrong terms with the wrong choice of classifications supporting your orriginal post in the wrong forum. If I am following your desire for information, you want to compare a real Range Range Rover and/or a Sport/Disco III and a MB G class. I suggest you do a bit of Google time and SEARCH function here on this site. Poking around a forum for 15+ year old British rust buckets is not going to give you info on "NEW" vehicles".

·
Premium Member
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,113 Posts
rrtoadhall said:
15+ year old British rust buckets
... ****, that's cold. I resemble that statement...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts