RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi what a great resource for all things Rangie.

Having had two previous RR classics both the 3.9 and 3.5 bothon LPG. I am going to look at a 1997 p38 4.6litre HSE. Having read up on the porous block issue and other bits and bobs regards air suspension pressurised coolant etc on this forum. I have some urgent questions before I go to see it tomorrow.

Having had my first RR clasic go kaput on me with billowing white steam out the exhaust like a smoke discharger I can spot the signs for water in the system.

How quickly should the air suspension raise or lower when different ride heights are selected?

when using infra red thermometer to check temperatures, at which parts of the engine should I be pointing and what are normal temps to record?

How quickly would the top radiator hose go stiff and hot if there was pressurisation?

How can I tellwhat engine management system it has ie Bosch etc?

How can I tell if it has multipoint LPG conversion as opposed to swirl chamber type?

And lastly is there anything else I need to be on the lookout for and what are the symptoms

Cheers from a RR enthusiast but tech neophyte

Am going to see car on 22.3.2112

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,851 Posts
Hi

Air suspension is supposed to react immediately when the button is pressed and the target hight starts flashing. It will take 3 to 5 seconds to adjust from one height to the next, this is dependent on the air pressure in the tank and if the tank has leaked and is empty it will take a good compressor 10 minutes to pump it up from empty to full.

Never used a IR thermometer on the engine, but if I am not mistaken temperatures of the coolant should be around 94-97 degrees Celsius when the engine is at normal temperature,

Build up pressure because of leak from combustion towards cooling system is depending on the size of the leak and the coolant system should not get under much pressure and you should be able to squeeze the hoses without much resistance even after a test drive.

The older GEMS engines have the square top like the old 3.9 liter units displaying 4.0 or 4.6 on the plenium chamber. The Bosch units have bunch of banana shaped inlet manifolds.

LPG system with the swirl chamber is fitted in the hose between the air filte and the inlet of the plenium chamber. The sequential system is having a solenoid valve and hose connected at the inlet just before the inlet valve like the fuel injectors for each cylinder.

Read through the common problems and fixes on the main page. Look out for damage to the interior like the dashboard. Test all electrics. Look at the HEVAC ECU display for the book sign, which is telling that there is a problem with the AC and or heating system. Look at the fuse box under the most 2 forward relays of the right row for damage of burns on the relays and connectors and plastic of the fuse box.

Good luck

Jos

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jos for the reply.

Went to look at the car today. Mileage is 117000, bodywork immaculate as is the interior. However couple of questions arise.

One the EAS has been converted to manual. The compressor is broken and what has been done is the insertion next to a large black box on the bulkhead on the right hand side looking from the front of the car are four tyre valves allowing the suspension to be raised via an air hose. Is this something to be concerned about? Also the coolant level was very low but was told this was due to a perished seal on the expansion tank. Is that something to be worried about. Also on the dash. It kept telling me variuos windows were open even though closed and it said EAS manual.

The car is for sale for £2695 sterling. Is that a good price.

Lastly it was very low on fuel but it felt a little rough on tickover. Would the low fuel or trying to start it on lpg cause that

Cheers for any pointers

Going to take wife to see it Sunday

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well looked at the car today. Immaculate inside and out. 117000 on the clock price £2695 sterling.

Couple of questions

The compressor for EAS is kaput and on dash says EAS manual. Under the bonnet have been placed four car tyre valves and lines to allow the suspension to be raised via an external air line. Is this a normal work round for a bust compressor.

The coolant level was very low but was told this was due to perished seal on expansion tank cap. Should i be concerned.

Also on dash kept telling me variuos windows open even though closed, is that just a reset issue

Also sounded a little rough on tickover, could that be due to fery low fuel level and starting the car on lpg

Cheers for any pointers

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
Well looked at the car today. Immaculate inside and out. 117000 on the clock price £2695 sterling.

Couple of questions

The compressor for EAS is kaput and on dash says EAS manual. Under the bonnet have been placed four car tyre valves and lines to allow the suspension to be raised via an external air line. Is this a normal work round for a bust compressor.

The coolant level was very low but was told this was due to perished seal on expansion tank cap. Should i be concerned.

Also on dash kept telling me variuos windows open even though closed, is that just a reset issue

Also sounded a little rough on tickover, could that be due to fery low fuel level and starting the car on lpg
sounds like a fed up owner, i would be concerned about the coolant unless your unconcerned by replacing engine blocks [at the very least], new cap is all it would take if the owner is correct??? windows can be reset in a couple of minutes if it was the result of battery loss and nothing more serious (again why??) you can't start on lpg without heat from the coolant system, should start (from cold) on petrol and then switch to lpg.

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
well its the point's you yourself are concerned about - there are perfectly reasonable solutions. Try a new cap and see what happens to coolant level and temperature, set the windows (very quick to do). check the switchover between petrol and lpg.
You right to be concerned and those points i would think need clarifying before moving forward. It's very difficult anyway to diagnose at a distance, let alone give a "go, no go", which of course is no one else's call. That said i would be very concerned by such simple explanations over potentially very expensive problems.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Agree that diagnosis at a distance is difficult and the decision is mine alone. Is the workaround for the EAS I have described a normal one or unusual, are the explanations given for the problems more likely than the catastrophic troubles on the balance of probabilities. Would appreciate other input but appreciate yours LarryS

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can anyone else give input on this car please regards the eas work round especially. Also having read about checking the cat convertor it should be hotter at the engine side than backwards what sort of temp differntial should i be looking at. Cherrs

·
Registered
41 Posts
Having bought a car of the same vintage for less money with less mileage, and an immaculate service and maintenance history, and then having had a great deal of problems with HEVACS O rings, BECM failure, and other well known issues, I think that you might well be paying too much for something that has quite a lot of visible problems. As far as the coolant in the expansion tank is concerned, have you checked for damp carpet in the drivers side footwell? The steady disappearance of coolant is a good indicator, I have learnt, that the O rings on the HEVACS have gone.

Of course, you take a risk with any car of this age, and, if you are like me, you stand to learn a great deal about mending it. I have been lucky enough to have access to another vehicle while trying to get the Rangie back on the road......

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Went to look at the car again. Walked away from it. Tested alternator, only kicking out 7volts. Checked cat. Same temp front and back took it for test drive. It veered to left and had to make effortto keep it straight line. It was sat on bump stops, book symbol was illuminated along with an exclamation mark, the car needed a jump start and it sou ded lumpy at tick over. Dealer offered it to me for 2k as a project, but do not have that money it also needed a new eas compressor. If anyone in East Yorkshire wants to buy it pm me i will give you details of dealer

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
FWIW, I think you were right to walk away.

Too much risk, unless you have another 2k spare ...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts