RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIII / L322
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I discovered a button the other day above the driver's side footwell, under the steering column.

It has two arrows right and left and when pressed it seems to active the car like you just started it up- electronic systems, steering wheel moves into position, etc.

Does anyone know the purpose of this button and what the left and right hand sides of it do?

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
It is an ignition on bypass. It was installed for pre-delivery purposes, and should have been removed at that time.

Honestly though, I have found them to be very handy if your ignition switch ever fails(they do) to be able to move the vehicle around.

It by no means makes the vehicle any less secure, as it can not be started without the key.

From your question I can tell you have a 06-09, but many others would not, and would never comment to help you for that reason. Please add your details to your signature for future reference.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIII / L322
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is an ignition on bypass. It was installed for pre-delivery purposes, and should have been removed at that time.

Honestly though, I have found them to be very handy if your ignition switch ever fails(they do) to be able to move the vehicle around.

It by no means makes the vehicle any less secure, as it can not be started without the key.

From your question I can tell you have a 06-09, but many others would not, and would never comment to help you for that reason. Please add your details to your signature for future reference.
Thank you very much for the information and I have added my vehicle information to my signature.

When you say it allows you to move the vehicle around, you mean by allowing you to place it in neutral and move the steering wheel?

Do you know why it has a right and left arrow on it? I can't seem to see any difference in the functionality between the two.

How often are these left on the car? Wouldn't this allow the car to be stolen by towing (I guess a remote possibility)?

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
By move it around I meant drive the vehicle. I have had many of these with failed ignition switches that have a good acc and crank, but a bad contact for ignition, so by using the button I have been able to drive a vehicle in and out of the shop when I would normally need to push it, also good for diagnosing a failing ign switch, I keep one of these switches in my tool box for that reason.

It really doesn't have much of an effect on security. The vehicle can still not be started without using the key, and if it is locked, they are very difficult to break into. To someone that knows how to break into this vehicle will not be helped by having the switch there, there are better and easier ways(not going to outline them here for various reasons) to gain access.

Can't tell you how many were left on, by the book, the switch should have been removed, but the wires were left in place (to rattle around behind the dash, only later to be fixed, I dealt with a few of those)

There is no difference between the sides, I think this was just a generic switch that there was left over(possible sunroof switch from a Jag, not sure but looks close) that was wired up. It's purpose was to engage a battery terminal transit relay to allow the vehicle to be started before the vehicle had its initial pre-purchase inspection preformed as a new vehicle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts