RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

SWMBO called. "Rangie is sitting on the parking lot, over a big puddle of green liquid", she told me. Right there I was starting to have a mild heart attack, at the notion of a costly repair. I had replaced the bigger hoses (preventive maintenance) and water pump a year ago. Fortunately one of the company's drivers was not far away from there and stopped by to take a look for me. It seems the bigger hose that connects the expansion tank to another set of hoses (to the termostat? ) is busted, and has a nice hole near the hose clamp.

They sent me a pic to take a look...

[attachment=0:17bn0pt7]IMG00286-20100803-1558.jpg[/attachment:17bn0pt7]

So it seems an easy fix, right ? Fortunately this guy is buying me a replacement hose, and installing it, so SWMBO will be on the road in 2 hours time.

So, got this 2 questions for you:

1) Do I need to burp the system ? Or just replace the hose, refill with coolant, and drive right away ?

2) This was an old hose (by this I mean I didn't changed it during my preventive maintenance). SWMBO drove the Rangie, parked and about 2 hours later, on her way out she noticed the puddle. What do you think was the cause for this busted hose ? I can understand that it gave away to pressure while driving, but on the parking lot ?!?!?

I'm eager for a good explanation.

thanks in advance,

N.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
It's most likely going to need to be burped. Just tell your wife to sit and let it idle with the cap off for a bit, paying attention to the thermostat for a spike into the red. Fill it up as it starts to go down until it stops going down... keep paying attention to the gauge. When she gets it home you can burp it. Keep a gallon or more of water in the truck for a while, just in case the temp spikes on you. It might not ever spike, it might do it every day.

No idea why it would break while parked... maybe it actually broke on the drive in, but it wasn't noticed until it was parked.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I realized I didn't thank you for the advice kmagnuss. Thank you ! :)

One of'the office drivers went to the rescue and replaced the busted hose. Unfortunately, this wasn't the end of it. A couple of days later I got stuck 20 minutes under the hot caribbean sun in a huge traffic jam. Couldn't move an inch. When finally the traffic started moving, I noticed the sweet smell of coolant, but somehow decided it must be from another car, after all, my cooling system was checked a couple of days ago, right ? WRONG. :evil:

I did 400 meters to a very crowded intersection, and while waiting for the lights to change, my temp gauge went balistic on me. Lucky for me, 2 fat and lazy cops were hiding under a plam tree, so I got them to push my Rangie out of the intersection.

After leting it cool down I noticed the coolant reservoir was empty. Great, got to get towed, on Sunday, with my girl waiting for me to pick her up at the airport. Peachy.

[attachment=1:2z3bnz8x]smIMG00131-20100829-1405.jpg[/attachment:2z3bnz8x]

[attachment=0:2z3bnz8x]smIMG00133-20100829-1419.jpg[/attachment:2z3bnz8x]

It seems the replacement hose wasn't installed correctly. Probably wasn't clamped properly. Also, my Indy informed me that one of the radiator fans didn't engage properly. Got to change both to have some piece of mind.

Wait, it ain't over yet. So I go away 2 weeks on a business trip, while my girl gets to drive the Rangie (well, to be fair, it's her Rangie). 2 days passed and I received a call. Rangie is dead, won't start. So it gets towed again to my mechanic. Crank position sensor is toasted + ignition switch is acting up. They replaced the CPS and noticed the ignition switch engages by itself (like if it got stuck). So we replace the ignition switch as well.

So now I'm 738 dollars poorer. You gotta love Land Rover, right ? :?

N.

Attachments

·
Registered
897 Posts
Ouch. a lot items at one time... gotta love your rover.

In reference to your cooling system issues, the first hose leakage was proably due to overpressure from the fan not working etc. Unfortunately, you can't trust 'most' woman's account of what happened. They never seem to notice rising temp gauges or lights on the dash flashing.

In addition to bleeding the system, be sure you pressure test it as well. This should help find other potential weak points in the system. The Stant pressure tester is great with the attachment for the Rover which is the same attachment for the BMWs of the 90s (stant#12030). Luckily for me, I have it for the many bimmers I have had in the past.

http://www.stant.com/brochure.cfm?broch ... ion_id=183
http://www.tooltopia.com/assenmacher-bmw-345.aspx

In your climate, you need an optimal cooling system. Good luck.

·
Registered
211 Posts
It boggles the mind that will all of the bell alerts that LR built into the vehicle for sun roof, windows, doors, seat belts etc.....they didn't put one if for the temp sensor! Most of the times it's pegged on me I didn't realize it until the steam was pouring out!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OMFG !!!! :x :x :x :x :x

I can't believe it. My fiancee called, while geting out of our parking spot, the Rangie lost all the coolant. Tow time, again, 3rd time in 1 month.

Naturally, it overheated, but she shut the engine down immediately.

I called my Indy and he's suspecting there might be a problem with the engine block, which causes the over pressure in the cooling system. I'm on my way to the mechanic. I wonder which hose (if any) gave up.

Please, send me good vibes. Finding a short block in the DR is almost impossible. Also, any theories are welcomed (and encouraged). I'll try to get all the facts straight and post them here.

To recap the last month:

- small hose (from reservoir to thermostat) busted on the parking lot. Lost all coolant. Replaced by an amateur. Engine wasn't on. No overheating.
- a week later, after being static on a traffic jam for 20 minutes, engine overheated. Lost all coolant. Indy told me the hose wasn't clamped correctly, and noticed one of the radiator fans didn't engage consistently. Reclamped hose, and replaced both fans.
- unrelated incident: a week later, engine didn't start. Replaced crank position sensor and ignition switch (which was acting up).
- today: drove the rangie this morning, temp at 12 o'clock all the way, no incidents at all. 5 minutes ago, while leaving parking spot, lost all coolant, engine overheated and was immediately shut down.

I need your ideas guys !

Thanks in advance,

N.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hi,
Change the viscous and see if the little pipe of the expansion tank is clear.. if blocked, the air will mix up with the water and you will create clear air spots inside the engine and waterpump and end up overheating and losing water...

One more thing, the electric fans on 4.6 are NOT suppose to work unless in extreme conditions.. The viscous it´s supposed to do all the cooling work.

Regards,

·
Registered
965 Posts
Well, from all your symptoms sounds like you're possibly having undue pressure buildup in the coolant system. Possibly a busted head gasket? A quick compression testing should indicate if you have a gasket problem.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Same problems I had, replace all the hoses, thermostat, O-Rings and your radiator.

Problem solved here.

Look familiar???

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the interest guys.

My mechanic will have a look tomorrow. So far the main suspects are the fan clutch (original?) and the thermostat (was preventively replaced a year ago, after the water pump gave the ghost).

Heads where done 6 months ago (i.e.: 4,000 kms ago). I doubt the new gaskets are toast. Radiator was replaced with a genuine LR part 2.5 years ago (i.e.: about 17,000 kms ago). Upper and Lower radiator hoses got replaced a year ago.

I'll follow the lead on the return reservoir hose and bottle cap.

Please keep the ideas coming.

Thanks again,

N.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
Wonder if new head bolts were installed during the head job you say that was done some months back...... or cheap no name brand Britparts were used.

When it comes to this kind of repair I will only use brand parts like Payen, Victor Reinz, El ring or agents, way toooo much fong kong rubbish out there on the market.

Head bolts I've been using agents only but soon going over to studs as the threads in the bolts are to risky to chance

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
viperover said:
Wonder if new head bolts were installed during the head job you say that was done some months back...... or cheap no name brand Britparts were used.

When it comes to this kind of repair I will only use brand parts like Payen, Victor Reinz, El ring or agents, way toooo much fong kong rubbish out there on the market.

Head bolts I've been using agents only but soon going over to studs as the threads in the bolts are to risky to chance
Fortunatelly I got schooled on this forum before doing the HG job. Used Elring composite gaskets & ARP studs. :)

Haven't heard from my mechanic yet. Any more ideas guys ?

The mere thought of having to replace the short block is sickening... really :cry:

Best case scenario, its the stupid thermostat. Got it from AB a year ago.

N.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts