RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, I will be tackling the much delayed task of changing the bushings of all the control arms on my 2006 RRS 4.2L. My ride is very bouncy right now and I will be purchasing the polybush kit for both front and back. I have researched greatly and almost ready to begin but I would like to know what else I should be doing at the same time.

Should I change ball joints too? What about sway bar bushings and such. I believe I should be ordering the nuts and bolts as well for the bushings because as of now all I have ready are the bushings. The bushing kit does not come with bolts so just wondering what I would need for them. I plan on cutting through the old bushings and removing them from the control arms as they have certainly seized because of the salty roads in my area. Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
159 Posts
I always recommend and replace the sway bar links when doing control arms. They are cheap and easy. Also if you are not liking the ride and it feels bouncy you might be looking at a bad strut. I have come across a few of them blown out inside the air spring.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
6 Posts
I also have a 2006 RRS supercharged 4.2L. I bought it from a "friend" haha. It had about 105k miles on it. It came with most service records which was a big help. The two front airbags/struts had recently been replaced. The front brakes were well worn and vibrating so I replaced those. They seem to last about 20K miles of city driving, but an easy job. After replacing the brakes, I still had some front end vibration, and my some clunking. The sway bar bushings were clearly shot, so I replaced those along with end links. The links are easy, the bushings were surprisingly a a real pain. I have the ACE system which made access to the bolts difficult. After doing that, I still had vibration/clunking (although much less) - I needed to replace the lower control arm bushings. I replaced with new arms that included the ball joint. When I took the RRS in for an alignment, I was told the tie rod were seized (could not adjust) and they needed to be replaced. After removal, it was clear they were well worn too. Replaced, then back to the alignment shop. About 4 week later the left front hub began to make a horrible noise and needed to be replaced. Two weeks later (really, 2 weeks!) the right hub went.

All of this happened over a six month period. Everything is great now, and I really like the range rover. But if I ever buy a used RRS or LR3/4 again, with high miles, at the first sign of trouble I'll just go ahead and rebuild the entire front end at once. It would have been much easier to do it this way. I'd recommend you do the same.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts