RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I recently bought a 2014 RRS v8 Dynamic, always been a RR fan, figured I'd get in on one cheap. So far so good, it has needed front and lower control arms replaced and the passenger front door and rear driver door actuators are in the process of being replaced. Odd for a car with 48k miles on it! But my PPI found these problems before I bought the car so I knew what I was getting in to and negotiated.

Anyway, I have noticed an intermittent burning plastic smell coming from my HVAC intermittently. The one way I can almost guarantee the smell to come is if the car is on "auto" setting and I turn it from 65 to 70, or 70 to 75, essentially asking less of the ac and moving the blend door. The smell also comes intermittently if I just leave it on auto on a continuous temperature as well, just takes longer. It's a burning plastic / rubber smell that's quite distinctive, and quite forceful at times. The smell does NOT come on when the heater is turned on like you'd expect with burning dust. I tend to notice the smell if I've been driving on the highway and then exit and get to a light, but not always. Sometimes the car will smell for a few minutes on the highway, driving around time, at random times. Sometimes it's there for 15 minutes, sometimes just a few. Sometimes it's just a hint, sometimes its quite a bit. Recirculate or not does not really change if it comes on. Car is not burning oil, there are no oil leaks, everything else is working. Brakes were replaced all around but it had this problem before after that. Oil change made no difference.

I have tried replacing the cabin filter, my mechanic put a "AC bomb" through the system to try and clean it and that covered the smell for a few days but it came back, they have looked at the heater core and evaporator core with fiber-optic camera and they both look fine. I have tried running the heater on full blast for 20-30 minutes (saw this recommend with a similar complaint thread) though that made no difference and was likely a different problem. AC and heat are both working great, except for this burning smell. I have noticed that if the car sits at idle for a long time (15 minutes or more) the AC stops blowing cool air for a few minutes until the engine RPM kicks on and then it blows cool again.

Any help is appreciate. Thank you. My mechanic is out of ideas at this point as well.

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
276 Posts
you need to look at the fresh air intake location. when the smell is occurring pull over and open the hood to try and locate the source of the smell. from what you said it sounds like it is coming from the engine compartment or the brake well. locking the recirculate door will stop the smell from entering the cabin.

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
276 Posts
Hello all, I recently bought a 2014 RRS v8 Dynamic, always been a RR fan, figured I'd get in on one cheap. So far so good, it has needed front and lower control arms replaced and the passenger front door and rear driver door actuators are in the process of being replaced. Odd for a car with 48k miles on it! But my PPI found these problems before I bought the car so I knew what I was getting in to and negotiated.

Anyway, I have noticed an intermittent burning plastic smell coming from my HVAC intermittently. The one way I can almost guarantee the smell to come is if the car is on "auto" setting and I turn it from 65 to 70, or 70 to 75, essentially asking less of the ac and moving the blend door. The smell also comes intermittently if I just leave it on auto on a continuous temperature as well, just takes longer. It's a burning plastic / rubber smell that's quite distinctive, and quite forceful at times. The smell does NOT come on when the heater is turned on like you'd expect with burning dust. I tend to notice the smell if I've been driving on the highway and then exit and get to a light, but not always. Sometimes the car will smell for a few minutes on the highway, driving around time, at random times. Sometimes it's there for 15 minutes, sometimes just a few. Sometimes it's just a hint, sometimes its quite a bit. Recirculate or not does not really change if it comes on. Car is not burning oil, there are no oil leaks, everything else is working. Brakes were replaced all around but it had this problem before after that. Oil change made no difference.

I have tried replacing the cabin filter, my mechanic put a "AC bomb" through the system to try and clean it and that covered the smell for a few days but it came back, they have looked at the heater core and evaporator core with fiber-optic camera and they both look fine. I have tried running the heater on full blast for 20-30 minutes (saw this recommend with a similar complaint thread) though that made no difference and was likely a different problem. AC and heat are both working great, except for this burning smell. I have noticed that if the car sits at idle for a long time (15 minutes or more) the AC stops blowing cool air for a few minutes until the engine RPM kicks on and then it blows cool again.

Any help is appreciate. Thank you. My mechanic is out of ideas at this point as well.
any luck loacating it?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
any luck loacating it?
Thanks for your response earlier. Unfortunately I have not been able to locate the smell. Changing from recirculate to regular does not change the smell, so I can't help but think it is something within the AC unit itself.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts