RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
So the other day something started making a strange grinding sound on the passenger rear of the car. Brakes seemed fine so I was thinking wheel hub or something. Jacked up the right side of the car and the piece in the picture fell and landed on the bottom of the rim. I'm assuming it was grinding against something after it fell off as the noise went away now. It appears to have originally been welded on?

How bad is it if I drive the vehicle with it off? Should I try JB welding it back on? Any thoughts/suggestions are welcome. I'm assuming the piece is a bump stop for the rear suspension. The other side is still there and seems to be ok for now.

Vehicle is a 2006 Range Rover Supercharged with 148k on it.

67382371_395852254407362_8861595194777141248_n.jpg

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
Yes indeed that is an EAS Bumpstop. Is it important? Not really, it's only used when an EAS airbag "fails to proceed". Then that corner will drop about 4 more inches than the other.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks RRToadHall. Would it be worth trying to JB weld the sucker back on? :) I triple checked it doesn't appear to have been held on with a nut and bolt?

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
I would clean up the rubber part with steel wool and soapy water when ALL of it is black again treat it with aerosol silicon. It's commonly used for hinges and latch and usually sprays white... color doesn't matter of course. I will rejuvenate the rubber part and it will repel water.

The metal part was spot welded wherever it came from. I would use a drill wire brush to strip it free of any corrosion and flaking. Then wire brush the surface where it came from. Sand that are and the bottom of the metal piece and do your JB weld bare metal to bare metal. After that cures longer than the label says. Then mask and prime any bare metal. Hunt up a good quality aerosol can of appliance epoxy and apply several light coats. Smear something slick on on your bumpstop and pop it back in to the metal holder.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Weld it back on, it won’t cost much, how much depends on where you take it.

My my everyday mechanic for everything but the Range Rovers does custom exhaust, so he welds. I’d guess he wouldn’t charge more than 1/2 hour in labor to tack it back on.

If you JB Weld it back on and you lose it, the part will cost you much more. Personally, I wouldn’t want to drive forever without it, for fear of losing air pressure in that corner and not having a stop to support the vehicle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts